Team makeup

slu72

If all the recruits qualify, and assuming there are a couple of departures next year, this is what we'll have:

Bigs-Conklin, Thompson, Eberhardt, Knollmeyer, Reed 5

Wings-TL, Femi, Cassity, MR 4

Guards-KL, PE, KM, RC 4

That's 13 on scholies. The above seems like a pretty good spread to my way of thinking. No doubt young, but if this is indeed how it shakes itself out, we'll not necessarily be required to toss the kiddie corps right into the fray, but instead work them into the rigors of D1 ball gradually.

For example, PE or KL could man the point with RC and KM as backups. By the way is RC a true PG or a two? Also, do both KM and RC like to take it inside, and please let them be better shooters than DP. KL provides a solid 3 threat and hopefully PE's 3 shot improves over the summer.

Same with wings: TL and MR are back which will not put pressure on KC or FJ to produce right away. Would like to see at least one of these guys be a consistent 3 pt threat, but don't see it right now. Unless TL captures that lightning in the bottle he had his soph year during that one stretch where every 3 he tossed up seemed to go in. I don't know about KC and FJ 3 point ability, but it doesn't seemed to have been advertised much.

Inside game: This is the spot where we may need immediate production from a rookie. BE can't play the 5 nor can AK. Is BT a true banger and post player? Most of what I've read seems to indicate he's the type of big that can handle the ball and prefers to play more of an outside game. That may not be a bad thing, if he can play interior D and rebound. But this is where we need a "true big". Some guy who provides us a scoring threat down low to draw defenders away from the perimiter game. I have no clue as to whether WR is ready to assume a starting role right from day one. But based on information here, it sounds like he's gonna' be a project. Conklin seems to be the closest thing we have to a banger out of this group. Fair assessment? But is he likely to be a Kevin Love or Tyler Hansboro from day one? Given the above shortcomings, it would not surprise me to see the staff still bring in a true JUCO PF this spring. I don't think their work is done at that position.

The above squad does seem to reflect RM's style of play. A big front court, ie Conklin, Thompson, and Reed with a couple of the bigs having the ability to step outside ala Van Horn. Also a couple of big guards/wings for the future in FJ and KC. And if everyone develops as hoped, this is the type of well rounded squad that will produce the success we are all thirsting for and expect from the RM hire. Just read the SI article on the dance, and all coaches seem to agree "size matters" at the top level. Granted some teams that are dancing have been successful w/o a dominant big or two, but their chances diminish as they advance and start running into the big front line defenses and offenses. FL didn't win back to backs relying on 3 pt shooting, although they had a good one. Georgetown and Ct proved bigs alone can't do it. You still need good guard play and a 3 shooter to keep defenses honest. (As an aside, I thought CT looked like the worst coached team in the dance in their first round loss. They looked totally disjointed in the half court. )

Obviously a lot of positives have to happen with the above group, ie acceptance of RM's discipline and volatility, academic success, etc but if they stay together, stay passionate, and develop we could be on to something special. The holes have been filled. It's the most complete well rounded squad we've had since 2000.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, do you think the door is closed then for Spring recruits?

I don't think the door is ever closed in college hoops, because players are always coming and going and coaches are always trying to make sure they have options when those things happen.

I haven't heard about SLU offering any other players for next season. Maybe if Josh Harrellson were to be released from his LOI the Billikens could try to do something. But SLU now has seven commitments for five spots, so unless a couple more spots open up I would guess it's doubtful anyone else will be recruited.

That is a brand new team .... because the only two with any kind of appreciable experience and talent are Lisch and Liddell. How come you don't list Anthony Mitchell on your original list? Did he leave and I missed it? Also you have seemed to counted out Dustin Maguire. I know we've talked about him redshirting and leaving for SIU-E but until that actually happens, I don't think you can do any listing without him included. I would list that the very same way that we list or refers to those not yet qualified. Its one thing to qualify and get redshirted --- I am certain t hat counts against your 13. But if you are not qualified, ala Liddell four years ago, its prep school or a JUCO and that spot gets freed up. Given our count now, that puts us at 15 scholarships with 13 doable slots.

If Reed and Cotto don't qualify, they will have to go the prep school route. That puts them out for a year. If they don't go prep school, it will be JUCO, and that puts them out two years. But in any case, that frees things up for this year. So I would say RM is hedging bets right now.

No matter what happens, experience will be light to say the least. The good news is that the experience is where the engine of a college team runs, at the guard positions. So with Lisch, Liddell and even Eckerle, we are strong across the area we need most. I think that will bode well for the A10 next year. We should be representative at least and by the time the tournament rolls around, our bigs will actually be much closer to sophomores than they will be to freshmen. Look at Temple --- they ahd nothing inside this year and won the tourney. They won with two guards (Christmas and Tyndale) and had two others play supporitng roles (Clark and Biggs). But Allen was a freshman and Olmos was a stiff. So it can be done. I think its the very same reason Xavier will be hurt next year because despite all the returning front liners, without a guard, who gets them the ball? Same goes for Dayton. Roberts will be huge shoes to replace and without him, more pressure falls on Johnson --- who did a nice job in AC but will he do the same without all the attention being paid to Roberts on the other side?????? Charolotte is hurt with Goldwire, Umass is down Forbes and Brower, Rhodey loses Bitee but still has Barron, Fordham lost everyone. Right now, as the smoke rises on the horizon, Richmond looks pretty good for next year.

That is a brand new team .... because the only two with any kind of appreciable experience and talent are Lisch and Liddell. How come you don't list Anthony Mitchell on your original list? Did he leave and I missed it? Also you have seemed to counted out Dustin Maguire. I know we've talked about him redshirting and leaving for SIU-E but until that actually happens, I don't think you can do any listing without him included. I would list that the very same way that we list or refers to those not yet qualified. Its one thing to qualify and get redshirted --- I am certain t hat counts against your 13. But if you are not qualified, ala Liddell four years ago, its prep school or a JUCO and that spot gets freed up. Given our count now, that puts us at 15 scholarships with 13 doable slots.

If Reed and Cotto don't qualify, they will have to go the prep school route. That puts them out for a year. If they don't go prep school, it will be JUCO, and that puts them out two years. But in any case, that frees things up for this year. So I would say RM is hedging bets right now.

No matter what happens, experience will be light to say the least. The good news is that the experience is where the engine of a college team runs, at the guard positions. So with Lisch, Liddell and even Eckerle, we are strong across the area we need most. I think that will bode well for the A10 next year. We should be representative at least and by the time the tournament rolls around, our bigs will actually be much closer to sophomores than they will be to freshmen. Look at Temple --- they ahd nothing inside this year and won the tourney. They won with two guards (Christmas and Tyndale) and had two others play supporitng roles (Clark and Biggs). But Allen was a freshman and Olmos was a stiff. So it can be done. I think its the very same reason Xavier will be hurt next year because despite all the returning front liners, without a guard, who gets them the ball? Same goes for Dayton. Roberts will be huge shoes to replace and without him, more pressure falls on Johnson --- who did a nice job in AC but will he do the same without all the attention being paid to Roberts on the other side?????? Charolotte is hurt with Goldwire, Umass is down Forbes and Brower, Rhodey loses Bitee but still has Barron, Fordham lost everyone. Right now, as the smoke rises on the horizon, Richmond looks pretty good for next year.

Taj '79, yes, I guess I am making the assumption first that WR and RC qualify. If that is the case then AM and DM could be the odd men out. If you assume the above do not make it this year and go the JUCO/Prep route, unless they sign, they are not committed correct? Recall TLIII's situation. Obviously, the above list is subject to change between now and October. I'll admit to doing some reading between the lines about a couple of kids on our current roster. You got to admit though it's nice stockpiling actual players rather than unused scholies.

i saw this thread title, i saw you initiated it, and i figured you were on here shilling for lancome.

IT IS ALIVE!!!

There has to be a "Who's your daddy?" joke here somewhere, but I can't think of one. "SLU's your daddy?" Are you still a SLU daddy?

hello joe. what do you know?

i regret to inform you that my "SLU daddy" status terminated at the end of number 2 son's freshman year, after which he transferred to the land of the golden dome.

as for the "who's your daddy" jokes, i'd steer clear; slu72 still doesn't know the answer.

gruehls, just curious what "colors" are you wearing these days? still red and black or have you went from red and black to purple and black and now gold and black? i know naticat cant make up his mind who he is rooting for these days. i keep telling him to just go blue and be done with it.

Why don't we play Relphorde the same way he's been used all life (guard) instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Let the young bigs go and play through their mistakes. If we don't get a juco big we're basically pissing away Tommie and Kevin's senior season anyway.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/relphorde1.html

Relphorde, a 6-6 guard, is one of the youngest Class of 2006 prospects in Illinois. He will not turn 17 until December, and holds open the option of being reclassified as a 2007 prospect. However, his father, Colin Relphorde, told ChicagoHoops.com that a final decision has yet to be made on the reclassification.

Relphorde bring great size and versatility to the basketball court. He has a strong handle, and superb offensive instincts. Relphorde is equally comfortable slashing to the hole, or dropping shots with range out beyond the three-point arc.

Relphorde, who competes on the summer basketball circuit with Mac Irvin's Illinois Fire, had several outstanding showings this season. At the Adidas Super Star Camp, Relphorde combined with Eric Gordon (Top 10 Class of 2007 prospect), and Gerald Henderson (Duke Recruit) to lead their team to an undefeated mark. Also this summer, Relphorde had a 38-point effort against a strong Indiana Elite squad.

Relphorde is expected to primarily play point guard this season for a Millersburg team that figures to be loaded. Millersburg figures to go 7-2, 6-11 and 6-8 across their frontcourt with Relphorde at 6-6 running the point.

Why don't we play at Relphorde the same way he's been used all life (guard) instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Let the young bigs go and play through their mistakes. If we don't a juco big we're basically pissing away Tommie and Kevin's senior season anyway.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/relphorde1.html

Relphorde, a 6-6 guard, is one of the youngest Class of 2006 prospects in Illinois. He will not turn 17 until December, and holds open the option of being reclassified as a 2007 prospect. However, his father, Colin Relphorde, told ChicagoHoops.com that a final decision has yet to be made on the reclassification.

Relphorde bring great size and versatility to the basketball court. He has a strong handle, and superb offensive instincts. Relphorde is equally comfortable slashing to the hole, or dropping shots with range out beyond the three-point arc.

Relphorde, who competes on the summer basketball circuit with Mac Irvin's Illinois Fire, had several outstanding showings this season. At the Adidas Super Star Camp, Relphorde combined with Eric Gordon (Top 10 Class of 2007 prospect), and Gerald Henderson (Duke Recruit) to lead their team to an undefeated mark. Also this summer, Relphorde had a 38-point effort against a strong Indiana Elite squad.

Relphorde is expected to primarily play point guard this season for a Millersburg team that figures to be loaded. Millersburg figures to go 7-2, 6-11 and 6-8 across their frontcourt with Relphorde at 6-6 running the point.

That's the player I saw at the all star game. I was expecting better from him, but every time he stepped on the floor this year he looked tentative ... like he was thinking before every move he made. Maybe he is really struggling with the confines of the offense and doesn't want to make a mistake, maybe additional time to work on things and learn this summer may help, or he may just need to be in a system where there is more freedom. Either way, I think there is a better player than we have seen in there somewhere just waiting to come out. I think he's a 3 not a 4, and imo he'd be better off leaving than being forced to play the 4.

That's the player I saw at the all star game. I was expecting better from him, but every time he stepped on the floor this year he looked tentative ... like he was thinking before every move he made. Maybe he is really struggling with the confines of the offense and doesn't want to make a mistake, maybe additional time to work on things and learn this summer may help, or he may just need to be in a system where there is more freedom. Either way, I think there is a better player than we have seen in there somewhere just waiting to come out. I think he's a 3 not a 4, and imo he'd be better off leaving than being forced to play the 4.

I was expecting Relphorde to be quicker and more athletic. I didn't see any explosiveness out of him, including both at SLU and at the all-star game. To contribute at this level, I think Relphorde--like Eberhardt--has to convert some of his body mass into leaner muscle that promotes quickness and explosiveness.

The only person I have heard suggest that he move to the four is Nate. I am curious whether this is Nate's personal opinion or whether he has heard this information from a source close to the program.

Guest BillikenReport

The only person I have heard suggest that he move to the four is Nate. I am curious whether this is Nate's personal opinion or whether he has heard this information from a source close to the program.

Not my personal opinion.

I was expecting Relphorde to be quicker and more athletic. I didn't see any explosiveness out of him, including both at SLU and at the all-star game. To contribute at this level, I think Relphorde--like Eberhardt--has to convert some of his body mass into leaner muscle that promotes quickness and explosiveness.

If you think Relphorde lacks quickness and explosiveness for a 6'6 guard I wonder what you're going to think of the quickness and explosiveness of Cotto at only 6'0?

If you think Relphorde lacks quickness and explosiveness for a 6'6 guard I wonder what you're going to think of the quickness and explosiveness of Cotto at only 6'0?

Yes, but Cotto is being brought in as an outside shooter, not a slasher.

3Star is one of the guys who isn't very big on Majuers; therefore, all things Majerus are bad.

I would agree with Nark. 3 star ain't a fan of Rickma. And Gruehls, Mr. Porridge boy shows up! Go figure. Accusing me of shilling for Lancome? Don't really get that. But at my age there's alot of things I don't get. Like my skyline! You still cheering for the Cats or have you now switched to Green, Gold, and Navy. The Damers just can't get their colors right, can they?

I am still worried about our bigs. If all qualify, then I think we will be okay, but very young. I still think Willie Reed can be an inpact player on the defensive end of the court. He looks to be athletic and able to come in and disrupt the other team on the defensive end of the court.

I have to think that Reed has a good chance to qualify. Otherwise RM would be recruiting another big. And we have not heard of any other recruiting at this time. Sure would like to see a player like Harrelson coming in. Would make me feel a whole lot better about next year's team.

...And Gruehls, Mr. Porridge boy shows up! Go figure. Accusing me of shilling for Lancome? Don't really get that. But at my age there's alot of things I don't get. Like my skyline! You still cheering for the Cats or have you now switched to Green, Gold, and Navy. The Damers just can't get their colors right, can they?

thread title: team makeup.

lancome: manufacturer of makeup.

still cheering for the 'cats.

who'd a thought a few years ago that UC would have bragging rights in football, and the domers would have them in hoops?

hope all is well slu.

my apologies to the board for hijacking the thread.