So the A-10 may get 3 in

Just watching ESPN and a basketball analyst (forgot name) just mentioned that St. Joe's is in regardless if they lose to Temple or not.

Jeff Goodman has an article - his picks for the Tourney - on Fox Sports which suggests that both XU and St Joe make it.

For Valley fans, he has Drake and IL State both making it as well.

I am saying two .... today's winner and Xavier.

Good trip to the AC once again. Got to meet and talk with Chris May at some length. The docs were very happy with the venue. First class all the way. Problems of course with geography and concerns that AC might benefit the Philly schools and maybe Fordham. Which in itself doesn't mean much. Lots of Xavier and "Goooooooooooo (home) Dayton Flyers" fans there. A lot of discussion on attendance and the future of the tournament in AC. Attendance for the first four sessions was down from last year although last night's semi's with two Philly teams was a "wait and see." Tonight's final will be interesting to see attendance with both Temple and St. Joe's going at it.

I didn't know there were that many La Salle fans alive out there. They might be the only fan base that seems older than ours.

More to post later. Chris May loves AC but is definitely NOT happy about the location. I don't know how one overcomes that right now. It was a huge debate with us over pizza at Ocean City's best, Mack and Manco Pizza.

I am saying two .... today's winner and Xavier.

Good trip to the AC once again. Got to meet and talk with Chris May at some length. The docs were very happy with the venue. First class all the way. Problems of course with geography and concerns that AC might benefit the Philly schools and maybe Fordham. Which in itself doesn't mean much. Lots of Xavier and "Goooooooooooo (home) Dayton Flyers" fans there. A lot of discussion on attendance and the future of the tournament in AC. Attendance for the first four sessions was down from last year although last night's semi's with two Philly teams was a "wait and see." Tonight's final will be interesting to see attendance with both Temple and St. Joe's going at it.

I didn't know there were that many La Salle fans alive out there. They might be the only fan base that seems older than ours.

More to post later. Chris May loves AC but is definitely NOT happy about the location. I don't know how one overcomes that right now. It was a huge debate with us over pizza at Ocean City's best, Mack and Manco Pizza.

Taj

thanks for the info. good stuff. did you get any feeling from May about his feelings concerning the A10 and does he feel it is the right place for the Bills?

Taj

thanks for the info. good stuff. did you get any feeling from May about his feelings concerning the A10 and does he feel it is the right place for the Bills?

I think St Joes is in. I think Temple wins tonight. This is how it had to break for The A-10 to get 3 in.

What difference does that make at this point?

Kidding, that IS my point.

Who cares if 2, 3, or 4 teams make it from A-10?

Who cares about St. Joe, Temple, U Mass.?

I for one do not care too much how many teams in the goddam A-10 make it, SLU has no future there, if you listened to RM's Slaten interview a few days ago, RM is clearly signaling that he is getting out of A-10 asap; difficult of course, but he is going to do it.

I for one do not care too much how many teams in the goddam A-10 make it, SLU has no future there, if you listened to RM's Slaten interview a few days ago, RM is clearly signaling that he is getting out of A-10 asap; difficult of course, but he is going to do it.

Don't all the conference teams share in the revenue in what they make from participating in the NCAAs/NIT?

If that's the case, SLU could earn a few more bucks if 3 teams make it.

MB. I care about St. Joe, Temple and UMass. You should too if you cared about SLU. If the conference improves, all will benefit with both prestige/rpi (not this year but in the future) and financially (this year and in the future).

Are you sure your initials are not MV - for Missouri Valley? BTW, RM says alot of things. One thing I have not heard is that he is longing to play Drake, IL State, Witchita State, Indiana State, Bradley, Northern Iowa and the rest of these "super-power" programs. Listen a little closer and read behind the lines. RM is not happy with the current situation. It may very likely be that he may be making his negative comments to try and improve the travel within the A10, in the short term, and build friends, in the long term. Also, he may be trying to delete a team or 2 in the A10 and add another team or 2. The A10 was weak sitting target for the other conferences. With the addition of SLU and UNC Charlotte, the balance of power has shifted. At 14 teams and with located in Philly, the conference simply is not stable yet. With the power shift, the old school, do-nothing AD Linda Bruno resigns and more changes are imminent. Hopefully, things will improve in that they really cannot get worse (travel, schedule and conference tournament). I, for one, am hoping that scheduling will improve in that we now have our arena (finally we will flexible) and RM/SLU will have some clout at the next few meetings and with the new commissioner.

Also, read behind the lines. RM has already got us to play Boston College and now is trying to get us to play Marquette, ND, Georgetown. We also scrimmaged Memphis. If the Big East makes changes for football and the better half of the A10 can join some of these schools, then that would be the perfect situation. If he wanted the Valley (as opposed to change from the current situation), we'd be trying to schedule Creighton and Northern Iowa. He is not. Yes, he is renewing our games with MSU and SIUC but that is all. Frankly, those are the only 2 schools that I would remotely be interested in playing. At the same time, I'd rather take Dayton and Xavier.

Not interested in your beloved Valley.

MB. I care about St. Joe, Temple and UMass. You should too if you cared about SLU. If the conference improves, all will benefit with both prestige/rpi (not this year but in the future) and financially (this year and in the future).

Are you sure your initials are not MV - for Missouri Valley? BTW, RM says alot of things. One thing I have not heard is that he is longing to play Drake, IL State, Witchita State, Indiana State, Bradley, Northern Iowa and the rest of these "super-power" programs. Listen a little closer and read behind the lines. RM is not happy with the current situation. It may very likely be that he may be making his negative comments to try and improve the travel within the A10, in the short term, and build friends, in the long term. Also, he may be trying to delete a team or 2 in the A10 and add another team or 2. The A10 was weak sitting target for the other conferences. With the addition of SLU and UNC Charlotte, the balance of power has shifted. At 14 teams and with located in Philly, the conference simply is not stable yet. With the power shift, the old school, do-nothing AD Linda Bruno resigns and more changes are imminent. Hopefully, things will improve in that they really cannot get worse (travel, schedule and conference tournament). I, for one, am hoping that scheduling will improve in that we now have our arena (finally we will flexible) and RM/SLU will have some clout at the next few meetings and with the new commissioner.

Also, read behind the lines. RM has already got us to play Boston College and now is trying to get us to play Marquette, ND, Georgetown. We also scrimmaged Memphis. If the Big East makes changes for football and the better half of the A10 can join some of these schools, then that would be the perfect situation. If he wanted the Valley (as opposed to change from the current situation), we'd be trying to schedule Creighton and Northern Iowa. He is not. Yes, he is renewing our games with MSU and SIUC but that is all. Frankly, those are the only 2 schools that I would remotely be interested in playing. At the same time, I'd rather take Dayton and Xavier.

OK, wait for a conference with ND, GT, BC, Xavier, Marquette, Jennifer Anniston, Jessica Alba, Angelina Jolie...

Dream on or grow up.

i think clock is right no the mark. what i hear rickma saying more than he wants out is he wants change. like clock said if getting out and getting in the valley is what he wanted there would be more open enthusiasm for playing evansville and indiana state.

the a-10 isnt perfect, but it has a hell of a lot more potential than the mvc will ever have. especially now that the mvc's little rpi understanding has been exposed. i say wait and see who the conference tabs as the bruno replacement. put a visionary there that is the next coming of dave gavitt from the early 80's and who knows what happens.

other than geography there is nothing better about the mvc. and it amazes me that people still dont get that.

after studying the rpi this morning, i will be shocked if the a-10 doesnt get at least 3 teams. i still think if things break right we get umass and/or dayton in as well. we need to root against the likes of illinois winning their tourney's.

i think clock is right no the mark. what i hear rickma saying more than he wants out is he wants change. like clock said if getting out and getting in the valley is what he wanted there would be more open enthusiasm for playing evansville and indiana state.

the a-10 isnt perfect, but it has a hell of a lot more potential than the mvc will ever have. especially now that the mvc's little rpi understanding has been exposed. i say wait and see who the conference tabs as the bruno replacement. put a visionary there that is the next coming of dave gavitt from the early 80's and who knows what happens.

other than geography there is nothing better about the mvc. and it amazes me that people still dont get that.

I also think Clock is right on target.

Similar situation was the WAC before the formation Mtn West. The WAC was this crazy conference that had an unbelievable amount of teams (16 teams) stretching from Texas to Hawaii. Talk about different time zones. Then in the late 90's, the Mtn West came along peeling off some of the cream (which included Utah) of the WAC. I am sure Rick had a lot influence in the formation of the Mtn West and feels it can happen again.

I also think Clock is right on target.

Similar situation was the WAC before the formation Mtn West. The WAC was this crazy conference that had an unbelievable amount of teams (16 teams) stretching from Texas to Hawaii. Talk about different time zones. Then in the late 90's, the Mtn West came along peeling off some of the cream (which included Utah) of the WAC. I am sure Rick had a lot influence in the formation of the Mtn West and feels it can happen again.

I hope it happens, SLU, ND, DePaul, Xavier, Marquette, Dayton.

Sure!

But I do not think it is a realistic expectation.

I, too, was tired of the MVC hype each yr. when their conference tourney dominated the Post Dispatch, etc... but then I realized that the MVC is just plain "better business" for us.

I agree that A-10 is as good of, or even probably better, basketball conference, over time, and especially this year.

But we are the only central time zone team, it is a joke, geography, rivalries, refs prejudice, etc, etc, DO matter a LOT.

Hope it happens but would not bet on it...

I know some of you guys who do 100 posts / week have debated this over and over, and I am not saying "go ugly early" but I think realistically, MVC is optimal.

SO I am not worried if U. Mass, St. Joe, Temple, etc get in or not... damn near irrelevant.

but then I realized that the MVC is just plain "better business" for us.

I agree that A-10 is as good of, or even probably better, basketball conference, over time, and especially this year.

But we are the only central time zone team, it is a joke, geography, rivalries, refs prejudice, etc, etc, DO matter a LOT.

Hope it happens but would not bet on it...

I know some of you guys who do 100 posts / week have debated this over and over, and I am not saying "go ugly early" but I think realistically, MVC is optimal.

SO I am not worried if U. Mass, St. Joe, Temple, etc get in or not... damn near irrelevant.

i dont know why a "rival" has to be defined only by geography and even if it does, why cant dayton and xavier fill that order?

personally, based on "debates" at the a-10 board, there are plenty of a-10 fan bases that are ready to engage us in rivalries that will more than equal anything that state directional mvc schools would ever provide.

as to relevancy of this weekend's a-10 success on selection day, money. the more teams we get in the more money to all of the conference members. we should all be hoping, cheering booing the success or failure of the a-10 tomorrow if for no other reason than that.

after studying the rpi this morning, i will be shocked if the a-10 doesnt get at least 3 teams. i still think if things break right we get umass and/or dayton in as well. we need to root against the likes of illinois winning their tourney's.

I know it doesn't mean as much as it used to, but the A-10 now has 7 teams with 20 wins or more.

Dayton has a compelling argument against each of Illinois St., St. Mary's and Arizona, check out rankings 33-40 at http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

I don't think there is any way Illinois State or St. Mary's should get in over Dayton.

Roy, if St. Joes wins tonight who do you see at the lock for the 3rd spot? I can see an argument for Dayton, UMass or even Temple but there are also many arguments against each of those teams and none are a lock. I do believe that a Temple win tonight will probably mean 3 teams as St. Joes has done a lot with the 2 wins over X in the past two weeks.

Roy, if St. Joes wins tonight who do you see at the lock for the 3rd spot? I can see an argument for Dayton, UMass or even Temple but there are also many arguments against each of those teams and none are a lock. I do believe that a Temple win tonight will probably mean 3 teams as St. Joes has done a lot with the 2 wins over X in the past two weeks.

my gut feeling is that illinois state is already firmly in and will

a 12 seed.

To further my point. Joe Lunardi who is a fan of the A-10 and a pretty astute "bracketologist" said during the St. Joes/Temple game that if Temple loses he expects the A-10 to only get 2. He said he thought St. Joes was in regardless.

Does anyone REALLY know for a fact if A-10 teams get money for each A-10 team that gets into NCAA's , is it split equally: teams that get in get same as teams that do not get in? or what, how that works, how much $$ last year did SLU get?

Does anyone REALLY know for a fact if A-10 teams get money for each A-10 team that gets into NCAA's , is it split equally: teams that get in get same as teams that do not get in? or what, how that works, how much $$ last year did SLU get?

It is an absolute fact that the NCAA tournament money goes to the conferences, not the individual schools. For each game a team plays in a tournament, its conferene receives one share for the next six seasons. Those shares are then aggregated and divided on an annual basis to determine the conferences' shares of the NCAA tournament profit for that season.

The conferences are free to distribute that profit however they chose. I believe that the A-10's formula gives some form of preferential payment to the appearing schools; however, I understand that most of the money is divided equally among the members in the A-10.