Alton-Edwardsville Regional game

as stated many times, cotto has the division one body and unbelievable range shooting the ball.

after watching polk in high school and then at slu i have become a big believer in the physical build aspect of a player. i dont like that the game has gotten that way, but with the ever increasing lack of whistle's by the zebra's there is no denying the necessity to make that a major factor.

as cory says above, there is no reason to play either/or. we should get both.

Roy, do you really believe we "should" get both or "should try" to get both? Just wondering if you thought it was a pretty high percentage that we would get both.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy, do you really believe we "should" get both or "should try" to get both? Just wondering if you thought it was a pretty high percentage that we would get both.

how would most of us know that? only the coaches could tell us that. and i would doubt allen is making any decisions this far in advance. i know i wouldnt if i was him.

i think we should try to get both and from what i understand we are trying to get both.

as to cowboy, how did i not answer the question?

i said that cotto is better built physically for high division one basketball and has more range than allen has. isnt that comparing the two and saying why if i had to pick why i would take cotto? you need to clue me in on how i am not answering your question as it seems this is the third time i have said that in this thread.

also for the third time in no way do i think this is a one or the other situation. slu should try to recruit both cotto and allen.

how would most of us know that? only the coaches could tell us that. and i would doubt allen is making any decisions this far in advance. i know i wouldnt if i was him.

i think we should try to get both and from what i understand we are trying to get both.

i said that cotto is better built physically for high division one basketball and has more range than allen has. isnt that comparing the two and saying why if i had to pick why i would take cotto? you need to clue me in on how i am not answering your question as it seems this is the third time i have said that in this thread.

also for the third time in no way do i think this is a one or the other situation. slu should try to recruit both cotto and allen.

Allen is built enough for high D1 basketball, but not built enough for high D1 basketball? I dont buy it. And Cotto might have more range, but he's not making 3pt shots at the same clip as Allen. Allen 84/158 on 3FG%. Cotto is 72/199 on3FG%. That's 52% vs 36% and 12 more threes made on 41% less attempts. Not a knock on Cotto, just not agreeing with your argument in this case.

Allen is built enough for high D1 basketball, but not built enough for high D1 basketball? I dont buy it. And Cotto might have more range, but he's not making 3pt shots at the same clip as Allen. Allen 84/158 on 3FG%. Cotto is 72/199 on3FG%. That's 52% vs 36% and 12 more threes made on 41% less attempts. Not a knock on Cotto, just not agreeing with your argument in this case.

Not really going to get into this argument as I would like to have both players, but I believe that Cotto would shoot a lot better if he were playing St. John, Construction Career Academy and Valley Park.

-let's review

-original question by vtime was "anyone think cotto is better than allen?"

-billiken roy says "i do"

-cowboy asks "why don't you break down the deficencies in allen's overall game vs cotto since you are saying cotto is better than allen?"

-billiken roy's response "for cowboy above my biggest like past the obvious tremendous range and strong passing skills, is that i like cotto's size. he already has a division one body right now. he looks like an nfl safety.

-cowboy asks "my question was if you could compare what you see in cotto to what you see in allen and where cotto is a player you want over allen as you said you wanted cotto over allen and i am just wondering what is causing that point of view"

-billiken roy's response "as stated many times, cotto has the division one body and unbelievable range shooting the ball.

after watching polk in high school and then at slu i have become a big believer in the physical build aspect of a player. i dont like that the game has gotten that way, but with the ever increasing lack of whistle's by the zebra's there is no denying the necessity to make that a major factor."

-cowboy's repsonse "i guess you choose not to answer the question, that's fine"

-billiken roy's response "as to cowboy, how did i not answer the question?

i said that cotto is better built physically for high division one basketball and has more range than allen has. isnt that comparing the two and saying why if i had to pick why i would take cotto? you need to clue me in on how i am not answering your question as it seems this is the third time i have said that in this thread. "

-cowboy's response - billiken roy, in your last repsonse was the first time you compared the two players and that was on physical build and range as all the other replies dealt only with one of the players, cotto.

thank you

-just hoping you have seen allen play enough to make your comparison

-by the way, how many times have you seen allen play versus cotto games?

Guest BillikenReport

Pretty irrelevant question here, but I've always wondered....do you pronounce Cotto with a long O - cOtto - or with an ah sound - cAHtto?

I believe it is Ko-toe.

Guest BillikenReport

Looks like you have the have the makings of a team that could win back to back titles. Can't get ahead of myself though ...

I think you did get a little ahead of yourself there.

Will this interview be posted on your website soon? Just kidding.

Coach has some talent there at Maplewood, but they have to play like the team that hasn't won anything yet (which they are) rather than the team that someone says could win back-to-back titles.

There are plenty of teams over the years who thought they could win it all and forgot to just win the next game to advance. I'm sure Frazier knows a couple of those teams.

I was just asking your expectations. Sure, none of know, but we do have expectations one way or another.

Allen has amazing stats. Not many people shoot over 50% from 3pt land and he's taken a lot of shots. He should be a top priority, but I bet he'll have a lot of big time offers with that kind of play.

I know some of you might not want to hear this, but I think it would be hard for him to turn down a football scholarship to Mizzou, a program that is in position compete for a national championship, and a spot on the basketball team after football season. He's probably the best 3 sport athlete out of the area since Marvin McNutt.

Guest BillikenReport

I know some of you might not want to hear this, but I think it would be hard for him to turn down a football scholarship to Mizzou, a program that is in position compete for a national championship, and a spot on the basketball team after football season.

Unless he wants to focus on basketball.

You can't really focus on basketball AND play football, because the football season goes until early January.

It is possible, obviously, and has been done. But if he cares more about basketball, it wouldn't work.

I agree. I dont think they let you play football if you go on basketball scholarship anyway I dont think. Guys like McNabb, Martellus Bennett, Julius Peppers, Ronald Curry, Alex Trannon, Justin Gage, and Reggie Love that played both football and basketball all went on football scholarships and then joined basketball after football season was over. Only Robinson gave up football for basketball. None of those guys actually went there with basketball as the #1 focus.

Is it possible that he plays football(soccer) and basketball at SLU? He really likes the sport.

They overlap a bit, but he'd have to be a really top notch soccer player to play at SLU ... and if he was a top local player, he'd be going to Indiana ... so it won't work.

Pretty irrelevant question here, but I've always wondered....do you pronounce Cotto with a long O - cOtto - or with an ah sound - cAHtto?

Easy - if he's Italian, it's a long o; anything else in this country, short o...I'm guessing

v you are twisting my words. i never said allen isnt built well enough. i said cotto is built better. cotto's threes have to be seen to understand. you obviously havent seen him. plus, being guarded by 4A illinois players is little different than what allen faces.

again, i like allen. i want allen to be a billiken. but all in all allen is not a better player right now than what cotto is right now.

If I was hyping Cotto, people on here would be like "Uh V, where are all his offers? Here you go again with your nonsense." Where is that argument now? That being said, I hope everything works out and Cotto becomes a Billiken. Majerus knows what he's doing.

Cotto will not be a Billiken next year. He does not have the core classes to qualify for Division I basketball.