Alton-Edwardsville Regional game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with the Ruben Cotto vs. Bryant Allen stuff?

One is a senior. One is a junior.

SLU could get both players. It doesn't have to be an either-or situation.

exactly. i totally agree with nate. there should be no one or the other thoughts on this.

for cowboy above my biggest like past the obvious tremendous range and strong passing skills, is that i like cotto's size. he already has a division one body right now. he looks like an nfl safety.

as to 3 star comments to p diddy. i agree that rueben hasnt shown any kind of a consistent crossover to get to the basket, however i think he has a tremendously strong and fast first step. and i have seen him blow by people on a lot of occasions. the thing to remember is that again with that big body, rueben is more likely to still be able to score if the adequate help rotates over because he is strong enough to put it up and get fouled.

now one thing i do agree with 3 star about is that cotto doesnt do that enough. he tends to settle for his 3 point shot far too often imo.

the biggest complaint i have with cotto is his tendency to take defensive possessions off. it isnt he just gets beat. he just seems to pick and choose when to give that effort. but i have seen some stellar defensive picks from cotto that tells me he can play the defense. considering what rickma has been able to do with convincing players to give a consistent defensive effort i wouldnt be too afraid of that "weakness" though.

Guest BillikenReport

the biggest complaint i have with cotto is his tendency to take defensive possessions off. it isnt he just gets beat. he just seems to pick and choose when to give that effort. but i have seen some stellar defensive picks from cotto that tells me he can play the defense. considering what rickma has been able to do with convincing players to give a consistent defensive effort i wouldnt be too afraid of that "weakness" though.

Roy,

You were spoiled by watching Kevin Lisch actually play defense at Althoff.

I think in general most high school standouts avoid playing tough man defense because they don't want to pick up cheap fouls and hurt their team by having to go to the bench. This is not always the case, but I see it enough.

I agree with Ruben's quick first step and also settling for the 3-pointer too much. But I think he'll be fine in college with better coaching.

- Nate

Roy,

You were spoiled by watching Kevin Lisch actually play defense at Althoff.

I think in general most high school standouts avoid playing tough man defense because they don't want to pick up cheap fouls and hurt their team by having to go to the bench. This is not always the case, but I see it enough.

I agree with Ruben's quick first step and also settling for the 3-pointer too much. But I think he'll be fine in college with better coaching.

- Nate

nate, i was just trying to search for some kind of negative to associate with cotto for those trying to compare players that havent seen him play. i totally agree with everything you write above. and i mentioned that i have seen him make steals on the ball that normal players dont make. thus proof he has the ability.

Yup.

He's kind of like a cross between Kramer Soderberg and Drew Hanlen, though he might be better than both those guys.

Hoener shoots it very well and is difficult to handle man-to-man. He's put up some monster scoring games this season.

- Nate

If he's better than Hanlen, he would be a GREAT pickup. Drew is a heck of a player. Drew is way more athletic than most think.

Hanlen had 5-10 D1 offers.

exactly. i totally agree with nate. there should be no one or the other thoughts on this.

for cowboy above my biggest like past the obvious tremendous range and strong passing skills, is that i like cotto's size. he already has a division one body right now. he looks like an nfl safety.

as to 3 star comments to p diddy. i agree that rueben hasnt shown any kind of a consistent crossover to get to the basket, however i think he has a tremendously strong and fast first step. and i have seen him blow by people on a lot of occasions. the thing to remember is that again with that big body, rueben is more likely to still be able to score if the adequate help rotates over because he is strong enough to put it up and get fouled.

now one thing i do agree with 3 star about is that cotto doesnt do that enough. he tends to settle for his 3 point shot far too often imo.

I think others have brought it up, but he definitely reminds me of Jameer Nelson.

One is not origanally from St Louis and hasn't been talked up for a couple of years by certain posters on this board that are trying to push their site. If certain people could say they were the first to talk up Cotto they would be taking a different stance.

It shouldn't be an Allen vs. Cotto thing. We would be doing great if we could get both of them in a Billiken uniform. They are both great players and very good prospects.

Is this a backhanded comment at me? I have no articles or stories or video of Bryant Allen on my site. If I've talked about him a lot, its because he is a very good player and should be a priority for SLU, not because I'm trying to push my site.

roy my question was if you could compare what you see in cotto to what you see in allen and where cotto is a player you want over allen as you said you wanted cotto over allen and i am just wondering what is causing that point of view

Is this a backhanded comment at me? I have no articles or stories or video of Bryant Allen on my site. If I've talked about him a lot, its because he is a very good player and should be a priority for SLU, not because I'm trying to push my site.

I stated it because it is you and your brother that keep on trying to make it into a Cotto vs. Allen thing. I don't think it is that. I want both, but I think Allen is probably going to end up playing football.

I stated it because it is you and your brother that keep on trying to make it into a Cotto vs. Allen thing. I don't think it is that. I want both, but I think Allen is probably going to end up playing football.

We are? I didnt know we had an agenda? I've said that I wanted Bryant Allen, but I've never said it had to be one or the other or ever knocked Cotto's game. But lash out if you want to. That's fine.

We are? I didnt know we had an agenda? I've said that I wanted Bryant Allen, but I've never said it had to be one or the other or ever knocked Cotto's game. But lash out if you want to. That's fine.

V, thanks for letting Brian lash out, that's sweet of you. Of course, didn't you start an Allen v. Cotto thread and now your brother chimes in with "who would choose Cotto over Allen now" or something like that?

V, thanks for letting Brian lash out, that's sweet of you. Of course, didn't you start an Allen v. Cotto thread and now your brother chimes in with "who would choose Cotto over Allen now" or something like that?

I was asked who I thought was better in this thread

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14351

I guess its my fault someone asked me a question. You give me a lot of crap on here and really for no reason.

Coach, I'm interested in seeing what you guys do against Crystal City. Isn't their star player 6'5 Lance Cannon, an AAU teammate of Bryant Allen. I would guess that would mean both teams no what to expect. You guys have a pretty good sophomore named Bryton Hobbs who has really picked it up recently. I hope he plays with the Eagles or Gateway this summer.

Next year you return Allen, Hobbs, Williams, Belts and King. Down right scary! Is Tony King related to Tori King and can you compare the two players? I saw Tori play earlier this year against Forest Park. He didnt get a lot of time, but he looked good in spurts, but mostly just taking the outside shot.

Yeah, we have our core coming back and it will be interesting to see what happens. Tony is a bigger player and more athletic. He can put it on the floor, still need work, but he is only a freshman. He is 6'0 and can defend his behind off. Tory was a better transition shooter and could hit from deep and had a nice mid range game that he developed over time. Tony is getting to that right now. He is going to be good.

Great to hear. Looks like you have the have the makings of a team that could win back to back titles. Can't get ahead of myself though because the next step is Wednesday. I do think you guys are the favorite this year though, and I dont think anyone in 3A will return the type of talent you guys have next year. I know some teams will be moving up and down next year. Is Maplewood staying put in 3A?

roy my question was if you could compare what you see in cotto to what you see in allen and where cotto is a player you want over allen as you said you wanted cotto over allen and i am just wondering what is causing that point of view

as stated many times, cotto has the division one body and unbelievable range shooting the ball.

after watching polk in high school and then at slu i have become a big believer in the physical build aspect of a player. i dont like that the game has gotten that way, but with the ever increasing lack of whistle's by the zebra's there is no denying the necessity to make that a major factor.

as cory says above, there is no reason to play either/or. we should get both.

as stated many times, cotto has the division one body and unbelievable range shooting the ball.

after watching polk in high school and then at slu i have become a big believer in the physical build aspect of a player. i dont like that the game has gotten that way, but with the ever increasing lack of whistle's by the zebra's there is no denying the necessity to make that a major factor.

as cory says above, there is no reason to play either/or. we should get both.

i guess you choose not to answer the question, that's fine