Discussion re Husak's play

Hey sheltiedave i'm not being negative i'm stating my opinion. Isn't that the purpose of the board. I guess Bernie's right there is too much of that CYC mentality. I will keep posting if you don't like it don't read it. Free Speech. They can't ban me for my opinion. Don't rip the players. Come on do you not read other baords this one is as tame as they come.

Sheltie Dave You guys just don't get it. ILLINI fans didn't accept their double ot loss they weren't saying we tried our hardest. They were mad.

gary i didnt see anyone say you should be banned. but i always get a kick out of "free speecher's" that love to throw that around and expect i guess that somehow that means you can say/write whatever you want and no one has the right to debate or comment.

free speech means you can say or write what you want, but it doesnt equate to consequences or retribution or no responsibility to what you say or write.

btw, if the pruett dude shoots free throws that terrible and weber keeps him in a double overtime game, that alone puts that loss in a different category than our billiken loss. let me know when bryce misses 6 out of 7 free throws in one game.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy I would love to see Bryce get to the line 6 or 7 times a game but the way he plays around the basket he's lucky he get's there as often as he does. Pruitt also plays more aggressive than Bryce around the Basket. Roy Don't you agree that if Rick had the chance to coach him for four years, Bryce would be a different player.

Roy I would love to see Bryce get to the line 6 or 7 times a game but the way he plays around the basket he's lucky he get's there as often as he does. Pruitt also plays more aggressive than Bryce around the Basket. Roy Don't you agree that if Rick had the chance to coach him for four years, Bryce would be a different player.

Antisoderberggary/bleedbluegary...sigh.

Don't forget your helmet when you are getting on the bus.

You obviously weren't around for mine. It was probably something like, "Guy Phillips sucks."

LOL, i don't doubt that. if i could go back and re-do my first post (which i also don't remember) there'd probably be a lot more cock and balls talk.

Posted ImagePosted Image

imo, no.

i think it is obvious from his off court success in the class room and the way the coaches and other players talk about bryce he is a great kid and a great teamate. but i get the impression that bryce plays basketball because he is 7 foot tall. somewhere in his younger days, when he was always a head taller than everyone else, he was told, "hey you gotta play basketball". and by doing so it served him well with a college scholarship which has enabled him to get a fabulous degree. good for bryce. he gave the billikens 5 years of being a good practice player. an ian rival. this year he has served his time as a passable center good for about 20 minutes a game patrolling the lane and altering shots. he gets a few rebounds and makes a couple of shots.

i dont think he has demonstrated the heart to be any more than that. i think players either have that "i'll show you" attitude, (see lisch and luke) or they dont. the fact that knowing ian was going to be gone and no one was coming to really replace him would have made me become the biggest gym rat and weight room addict in the world the last 12 months. from all accounts that didnt happen. and even if he had, from watching him play, i am not sure it would have mattered if he would have put the time and effort in or not. not all people can make themselves into an nba hall of famer with sheer effort. again, i am not begrudging bryce. i have come to accept he is what he is and he has given the program a lot of positives. to harbor any more against him would just not be fair.

now are there players that have passed through slu that could have been more than they turned out? of course there were. but even then it comes down to the level of intensity they are born with imo.

bryce was a reach by soderberg. but in retrospect, why not? he had the physical potential soley on the fact he was 7 foot tall. but there was a reason he was redshirted. he was obviously that far behind from the get go.

all i think a majerus "mentoring" from the beginning would have done for a bryce husak is probably made him leave the school. i am already on record of not being a fan of the boot camp tough love approach to a college roster. so no need to go into that any further. just giving my opinion.

We'll Guys it's hard to talk basketball with a bunch of nit wits whose only defense is name calling while they sit in their moms basement hoping she doesn't cathch them on the computer with the child lock off.

Gary if you are going to ***** about name calling it is probably a good idea not to start a thread were you do that at the begining of the thread.

Not bitching just wanna stick to the subject. I'm Sorry if I offended everyone on this board but I am very hungry for a winner. We are all billiken fans. We all have jobs , mortgages vehicle payments and families, I know it is only a game. I know we cannot win every game but when they lose it tears me up. For that matter any of my teams. The only sports that matter are NFL Football, College Basketball, and College Football. I will try to be less negative but this will be a 12 step process Bear with me.

You start a thread saying Bryce Sucks and you get offended when someone calls you a name. I think you are right, we have free speech.

I have simple question for you ... are you willing to say the same things that you say on here to a player or a players families face?

Would you go up to Bryce and tell him he sucks face to face?

I'd love to see you man up. I can facilitate it if you'd like. I think it's important that you get to express your opinion regardless of how worthless it generally is.

And lastly, come sit next to me and we can disect the game together, I'd love to learn from one of the few people on the board who know anything about basketball.

BTW ... Bryce has one degree and is working either his masters or a 2nd degree all for free, to top it off he has a pretty sweet girlfriend. I'd say his time at SLU has been a success. A degree and a hot girl, what else do you go to college for?

Yeah I would I'd tell his family that he needs to put as much effort into his basketball game than as he does his academics.

My cousins husband played in the NFL and when I would be critical of his or his teams play and he would laugh and say everyone's a critic. I'm not insulting him. I just point out the things he needs to work on. As far as my career no i'm not an atty. I have a physical job.

Yeah I would I'd tell his family that he needs to put as much effort into his basketball game than as he does his academics.

My cousins husband played in the NFL and when I would be critical of his or his teams play and he would laugh and say everyone's a critic. I'm not insulting him. I just point out the things he needs to work on. As far as my career no i'm not an atty. I have a physical job.

That's not what you said ... you said he sucks. That's my question would you say that. If not, why would you say it on the board?

I very much doubt Bryce or his family would have any problem with you or any fan objectively criticizing his game, or even his work ethic ... which btw you know absolutely nothing of, so your criticism is kind of baseless, but that's ok you go ahead and make it any way ... it's your right.

Will you still come sit by me and teach me about the game, it's not often I get the chance to learn from one of the very few people on the board who know anything about the game.

Hey sheltiedave i'm not being negative i'm stating my opinion. Isn't that the purpose of the board. I guess Bernie's right there is too much of that CYC mentality. I will keep posting if you don't like it don't read it. Free Speech. They can't ban me for my opinion. Don't rip the players. Come on do you not read other baords this one is as tame as they come.

Sheltie Dave You guys just don't get it. ILLINI fans didn't accept their double ot loss they weren't saying we tried our hardest. They were mad.

First of all Billiken fans were mad last night. I believe Roy earlier stated that he could not sleep last night. Who wasn't mad at the end of the game, I for one was pissed off. Seeing our team come back from a defecit then have our dreams crushed by .1 seconds. If you are a true sports fan how can that now piss you off. Second of all, a rivalry between Wisconsin and Illinois is nowhere even close to a rivalry between SLU and Xavier at this point in time, hopefully in 5 years from now it will be different. Finally, comparing a program like University of Illinois to Saint Louis University is unthinkable. How many times has SLU made it to the Big Dance in the last lets say 50 years, 2000 & 1998 & 1995 & 1994 & 1957, I will also throw in the NIT victory in 1948 as an added bonus. Out of the five appearances we did make it, we won two games. The run that U of I had in the 2005 tournament, they had more wins than what we have done combined in the past 50 years. I am hoping in next ten years or so we can start to develop a basketball tradition here at SLU so we can compare ourselves to big time programs such as University of Illiniois and Wisconsin. Time will only tell if it will happen or not. But for now after looking back and reflecting on the game, yes, a sour taste is still in my mouth about the game especially since it was the number 5 play on sportcenter, we are making strides for the future. Or maybe thats a problem, everyone wants everything now now now.

Well Bryce another stellar effort again last night.

Yes the entire team played well BE, BH, LM, DP, TL, KL, DB all had positive minutes and the first half seemed we were up against insurmountable odds

8 against 5 as the refs started the game protecting X.

MR had his first game without a foul. BE found his jump shot. AK gave us some hustle. Man this was a team effort against the 13 or 14 best team in the USA. X could blow away Mizzou or Illinois most any year in the last 20 years. X and Dayton are among the reasons A10 makes sense for SLU.

Yes, every player on the floor made miscues, and some were outplayed on a given play. TL was double teamed extensively but we got production and effort and this was among the top 3 games we played this year. It was a typical home game with one possesion separating us from a winner at the end.

This team was down, badly, 4 times. We came back every time. We had the lead We got beat with a tip in with 0.1 seconds left on the clock. This was college basketball and conference rivalry at its best. This was a well coached opponent with pesky, physical defenders. They were all over us and set lots

of moving picks; strangely we were called on that at least twice in the game.

Gary, you sound like Metz with your constant chattering about things that seniors can't change.

Why don't you demean DP for being short or DB for having a gimpy leg so he can barely get to the rim, now. Do you still point fingers at people with handicaps off the court?

Well Bryce another stellar effort again last night. Two missed threes wich you have no business taking. The shot you had blocked wich lucky for you was a goaltending. You were standing right under the basket GO UP AND DUNK THE DAMN THING!!!!!!!! You are a liability everytime you step on the floor. I enjoyed as you tripped over your own two feet as you galloped up the court.

My other is DEwayne what good am I polk. I can't shoot, dribble play alittle defense.

Why is it that when they were pressuring us on the perimiter There was the cutter to the basket? It was there alot in the first half. We play right into there hands becuse we let them dictate the game. We play mid major basketball play decent defense and rely on the jump shot. If they ever outlawed the jumper we would be screwed. We just do not attack the basket.

To Quote the great Phog Allen, " Basketball is a game meant to be played arond the rim. We hardly ever drive to the basket wich cuts down on our unsuccessfull trips to the line.

We have to have the worst players when it comes to moving without the ball.

Lastly one thing that Majerus discovered with his first class of recruits that Sodie didn't is that players do grow taller than 6'6. Brads nine guard three bigs is killing us. We are still two years away.

I think this is an unfair post directed at a hard-working player. He's not the most talented player, but I think this post is out of line.

You start a thread saying Bryce Sucks and you get offended when someone calls you a name. I think you are right, we have free speech.

I have simple question for you ... are you willing to say the same things that you say on here to a player or a players families face?

Would you go up to Bryce and tell him he sucks face to face?

I'd love to see you man up. I can facilitate it if you'd like. I think it's important that you get to express your opinion regardless of how worthless it generally is.

And lastly, come sit next to me and we can disect the game together, I'd love to learn from one of the few people on the board who know anything about basketball.

BTW ... Bryce has one degree and is working either his masters or a 2nd degree all for free, to top it off he has a pretty sweet girlfriend. I'd say his time at SLU has been a success. A degree and a hot girl, what else do you go to college for?

What, aren't you going to challenge him to a fight a Dairy Queen?

What, aren't you going to challenge him to a fight a Dairy Queen?

I didn't go there at all, and the incident you refer to was one where I was called a racist completely out of the blue by Billiphan who had done the same sort of thing to many others on the board. I challenged him to say it to my face after asking him why and he stated basically he had no real reason, but continued to push the envelope. He has long since been kicked off the board.

I absolutely think if you are going to call someone names on a message board, you should at least have the balls to say it to their face. You probably disagree and think anonymous internet bullies are a good thing.

Just curious .... what made you comment on a discusion you weren't involved in and reference something that happenned 2-3 years ago? Are just trying to instigate or what?