Xavier perspective on SLU Thursday night

Pistol

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../302050073/1065

I didn't know that SLU was trying to wear road blue jerseys in addition to the 'blue-out' - Sean Miller wasn't going to let that fly. The article also points out that rebounding could be a huge factor, which isn't earth-shattering information.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../802040337/1065

This one points out that XU is 15-0 when 4 or more players score double digits (they had 6 do it against LaSalle last weekend). Question is- are they going to be able to do it against SLU? We've had their number so far in the A10, at 3-1 since moving to the conference. I don't think SLU will win, but I'd be surprised to see 4 XU players in double figures.

This team has been so widely inconsistent that I don't know what to expect (although we are a much better team at home). We'll get killed on the boards if Rickma goes with the 4 guard, Eberhardt at center lineup for any extended period. Bryce or Adam have to play solid minutes and board.

I liked the way our team looked in the second half against UMass with Dwayne Polk out of the lineup (best wishes in his recovery from the injury). Kevin at point and DB as another shooter spotting up on the wing gives this team a completely different look on offense. If the Billikens team that played the 2nd half against UMass shows up against Xavier, it'll be a game.

I didn't know that SLU was trying to wear road blue jerseys in addition to the 'blue-out' - Sean Miller wasn't going to let that fly. The article also points out that rebounding could be a huge factor, which isn't earth-shattering information.

This one points out that XU is 15-0 when 4 or more players score double digits (they had 6 do it against LaSalle last weekend). Question is- are they going to be able to do it against SLU? We've had their number so far in the A10, at 3-1 since moving to the conference. I don't think SLU will win, but I'd be surprised to see 4 XU players in double figures.

Let's get the upset. Make X Billiken Blue.

We've had good success against Xavier since joining the A-10. Hopefully, that trend continues Thursday night.

it appeared our game plan for umass was very good and i would think the mindset for xavier will be similar. the need to keep them from getting out and getting up and down the floor will be monumental. if that starts happening, it will get quiet in the scott trade real fast.

we obviously dont match up athletically, but we didnt match up vs rhode island and umass as well so who knows. that said, xavier appears to be on a different level for the a-10. but if we get and make good shots and try to keep the rebounding disadvantage to a minimum and keep the musketeers from fast breaking who knows.

it appeared our game plan for umass was very good and i would think the mindset for xavier will be similar. the need to keep them from getting out and getting up and down the floor will be monumental. if that starts happening, it will get quiet in the scott trade real fast.

we obviously dont match up athletically, but we didnt match up vs rhode island and umass as well so who knows. that said, xavier appears to be on a different level for the a-10. but if we get and make good shots and try to keep the rebounding disadvantage to a minimum and keep the musketeers from fast breaking who knows.

I know what a lot of people think about Polk, but I think he will be missed in this game more than any other. He matches up very well with Lavender.

I know what a lot of people think about Polk, but I think he will be missed in this game more than any other. He matches up very well with Lavender.

I agree but I could of sworn last year Lisch played Lavender and polk guarded Burrell, I could be wrong. All aside wel will miss Polk on the defensive side tonight.

The Cinnci. article said we were giving out 10,000 tee shirts. I thought the number was 4,000. In any event if you want a tee get there early.

I agree but I could of sworn last year Lisch played Lavender and polk guarded Burrell, I could be wrong. All aside will will miss Polk on the defensive side tonight.

I think you are right on the defensive end. I am pretty sure that Lavender had Polk on the other end of the court. Polk had two of his better offensive games against XU last year. He played a very big role on the offense in the victory here.

I think you are right on the defensive end. I am pretty sure that Lavender had Polk on the other end of the court. Polk had two of his better offensive games against XU last year. He played a very big role on the offense in the victory here.

Has it been reported that Polk isnt playing? I havent heard or seen anything

I can't recall who matched up with Lavender last year, but in the past I recall Lisch guarding the point. I think if Danny is playing big minutes, he'll match up with Burrell better than Tommie would. Luke has actually caused Duncan some issues in the past, because while Duncan likes going outside, he is usually guarded by bigger players who don't want to follow.

I am worried about this game though. I think the biggest reason we were able to beat X in the past was Ian. He caused major matchup issues for X in the past two seasons as they generally haven't had "true centers."

Not sure why any coach would object to the Bills playing in Blue unis given the way we typically play in them...

For some Musketeer Madness thoughts on this game, here is the link to the Xavier board.

http://www.musketeermadness.com/board/view...809cae005b4f41c

There are several threads of thinking.

1. Is this a "trap" game? I saw a 13-1/2 pt line posted here! Thats ludicrous with your slow down game and good D. Blue Out National TV game, Bills going nowhere postseason, best chance for some notoriety with a win. We have St. Joseph's on Sunday, the "big" game this week. The MM board has little talk about the SLU game. Not considered a rivalry game yet. No one to hate on the other bench.

2. On the other hand, we haven't won in St. Louis since the the early 90s, and have looked pretty bad losing since the series renewed. Stanley Burrell has apparently played with handcuffs on the last two years in this game. He had a decent game as a frosh, then miserable 0-4 as a soph, marginally better last year.

We generally think we should win, but it's been shakey on the road this year.

interesting that people that can't wait for the season to end are still posting about upcoming games

not quite sure what to make of that

just because the playout of this season has been extremely painful and disappointing doesnt mean we (hardcore fans) just walk away. that's impossible if you are a real fan. only a casual fan would just turn to american gladiators or the travel network instead of watching and rooting for their team.

it amazes me more that folks claiming to be hardcore fans casually accepted inconsistent and poor play with "oh well there's always next year". imo to accept the season so easily without being upset or bewildered or looking for the fix would have been harder to understand. i am always thinking "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." regardless of how i felt at the end of the last game. that's a roller coaster, but i like roller coasters also.

For some Musketeer Madness thoughts on this game, here is the link to the Xavier board.

http://www.musketeermadness.com/board/view...809cae005b4f41c

There are several threads of thinking.

1. Is this a "trap" game? I saw a 13-1/2 pt line posted here! Thats ludicrous with your slow down game and good D. Blue Out National TV game, Bills going nowhere postseason, best chance for some notoriety with a win. We have St. Joseph's on Sunday, the "big" game this week. The MM board has little talk about the SLU game. Not considered a rivalry game yet. No one to hate on the other bench.

2. On the other hand, we haven't won in St. Louis since the the early 90s, and have looked pretty bad losing since the series renewed. Stanley Burrell has apparently played with handcuffs on the last two years in this game. He had a decent game as a frosh, then miserable 0-4 as a soph, marginally better last year.

We generally think we should win, but it's been shakey on the road this year.

I hope X does look past SLU to St. Joes. If the Bills play like they did at home against Rhodie, UMass and SIU, we'll be in the game. And if we're in the game late, I like our chances. I've complained about Majerus' use of our players but have to admit that he has this team closing furiously (something Bills teams of the past decade rarely did). If we come out like we did in either of the GW games, X will steamroll the Bills. We don't have the firepower to overcome big deficits. I look forward to the game.

Best of luck to the Billikens tonight !

A win for St. Louis tonight is as important for Dayton as it is for you, so you will have all of the Flyer Faithful rooting for you (for whatever that's worth).

All of us in Dayton will be thrilled if the Billikens stomp the cock-roach Musketeers into the mud, where they belong.

Best of luck to the Billikens tonight !

A win for St. Louis tonight is as important for Dayton as it is for you, so you will have all of the Flyer Faithful rooting for you (for whatever that's worth).

All of us in Dayton will be thrilled if the Billikens stomp the cock-roach Musketeers into the mud, where they belong.

Will you guys wear those cute little sweater vest tonight?