Majerus on Let's Be Frank Segment

davidnark

Complimented all five of his starters, plus Eckerle, on the improvements they have made to their games in the last month. Said Liddell has improved his defense, Kevin has improved his decision-making, Polk has better learned how to use opportunities, Eberhardt has learned to give the right effort all the time, Luke is still Luke, and Eckerle has improved his off-the-ball defense.

Said that he doesn't use the media to send messages to his players. Instead, he just gives honest answers and doesn't filter his responses.

Compared improving this program to improving Ball State because he said in both situations there wasn't an existing culture in place to support big-time college basketball. Implied Spoonhour left for this reason. Said Biondi is 100% on the same page with him in fixing it, but they still have some work to do with the "intermediaries."

Said the current players "that return next season," as well as all of the new recruits, share a passion for the game that will be the key to the future success.

I caught the tail end of a response about the challenge of dealing with parents who all think their kid is the star.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Complimented all five of his starters, plus Eckerle, on the improvements they have made to their games in the last month. Said Liddell has improved his defense and intensity, Kevin has improved his decision-making, Polk has better learned how to use opportunities, Eberhardt has learned to give the right effort all the time, Luke is still Luke, and Eckerle has improved his off-the-ball defense.

Said that he doesn't use the media to send messages to his players. Instead, he just gives honest answers and doesn't filter his responses.

Compared improving this program to improving Ball State because he said in both situations there wasn't an existing culture in place to support big-time college basketball. Implied Spoonhour left for this reason. Said Biondi is 100% on the same page with him in fixing it, but they still have some work to do with the "intermediaries."

Said the current players "who will be back next season," as well as all of the new recruits, share a passion for the game that will be the key to the future success.

I caught the tail end of a response about the challenge of dealing with parents who all think their kid is the star.

to me that seems like MR will be gone

Complimented all five of his starters, plus Eckerle, on the improvements they have made to their games in the last month. Said Liddell has improved his defense and intensity, Kevin has improved his decision-making, Polk has better learned how to use opportunities, Eberhardt has learned to give the right effort all the time, Luke is still Luke, and Eckerle has improved his off-the-ball defense.

Said the current players "who will be back next season," as well as all of the new recruits, share a passion for the game that will be the key to the future success.

This is very interesting in that it gives us all a little more insight into RM. Whether we like it or not he will not mince words when talking about his players to the media. I am very pleased that he complimented the 6 players in public after saying some less than flattering things earlier. I have no doubt that tommie will, in particular, be a much better overall player by the end of this year. I have seen a big improvement on the defensive end of the court.

More that with almost any other coach, RM really needs his type of player to succeed. They need a "passion" for the game and a willingness and ability to learn a complicated system that is very demanding. My guess is that this staff has concluded that several of the players on the bench do not meet that description. It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like next year. Tommie and Kevin will be leaders and stars and Eckerle will find a niche off the bench but I do not see many others playing much at all once we get in our 5, and maybe more, recruits. My guess is that several will leave just because they would like to find a place where they can play.

My guess is that this staff has concluded that several of the players on the bench do not meet that description. It will be interesting to see what the roster looks like next year. Tommie and Kevin will be leaders and stars and Eckerle will find a niche off the bench but I do not see many others playing much at all once we get in our 5, and maybe more, recruits. My guess is that several will leave just because they would like to find a place where they can play.

what will be interesting to see is if a player(s) feels that the slu education is more important than playing regularly at northwest institute of basketball of north dakota college. what happens then? right now the roster is full for next year

freshmen thompson, conklin, mitchell, reed and john

sophomores maguire, eckerle, relphorde and mitchell

junior knollmeyer

seniors lisch, liddell, eberhardt

frank mentioned a couple of times that they are still recruiting and will likley add a few more recruits to the incoming class of five. if frank was truly doing his job and not just doing majerus p.r. he should have asked majerus how he was going to do that with all the scholarships spoken for.

what will be interesting to see is if a player(s) feels that the slu education is more important than playing regularly at northwest institute of basketball of north dakota college. what happens then? right now the roster is full for next year

freshmen thompson, conklin, mitchell, reed and john

sophomores maguire, eckerle, relphorde and mitchell

junior knollmeyer

seniors lisch, liddell, eberhardt

frank mentioned a couple of times that they are still recruiting and will likley add a few more recruits to the incoming class of five. if frank was truly doing his job and not just doing majerus p.r. he should have asked majerus how he was going to do that with all the scholarships spoken for.

and what would RM say? Yes Frank, we are giving a few players the axe. It's obvious to everyone they aren't good enough to play here. Boy, I sure hope we don't have any injuries because as reported by Andy Strickland and discussed in detail on Billikens.com I've already told a few players they will not have their scholarships renewed.

Seriously what kind of effort would we get from MR, AM or anyone else if they had been told they could not come back? What would happen if we had a major season ending injury?

and what would RM say? Yes Frank, we are giving a few players the axe. It's obvious to everyone they aren't good enough to play here. Boy, I sure hope we don't have any injuries because as reported by Andy Strickland and discussed in detail on Billikens.com I've already told a few players they will not have their scholarships renewed.

Seriously what kind of effort would we get from MR, AM or anyone else if they had been told they could not come back? What would happen if we had a major season ending injury?

I'd be really surprised if those on this suspected "hit list" don't already know it. We are woefully short of big men at this time, yet AK never rises from the bench. Don't you think he's thinking his days appear numbered, especially when RM is continuing to recruit for next year? I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out RM and the AC's are working with those on the bubble to find new homes better suited to their talent level. No knock on them whatsoever as not everyone is suited to play at this expected higher level.

I'd be really surprised if those on this suspected "hit list" don't already know it. We are woefully short of big men at this time, yet AK never rises from the bench. Don't you think he's thinking his days appear numbered, especially when RM is continuing to recruit for next year? I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out RM and the AC's are working with those on the bubble to find new homes better suited to their talent level. No knock on them whatsoever as not everyone is suited to play at this expected higher level.

reading the writing on the wall and being told are two different things.

skip that is my point. it shouldnt have been brought up. i am disappointed frank said it at all. but if he does, he should then ask the tough question "coach, how can you accomplish this when all your scholarships are spoken for next year?"

second, frank doesnt bring it up if he wasnt told it by majerus and/or staff. in this instance, i dont think it is productive for the public to know we are still recruiting.

hey, i understand that a player or two may not measure up. but i still feel the university owes those kids the option of making the decision. and that might be what is happening. but if that decision hasnt been made yet, it shouldnt be a public psuedo announcement yet imo.

Is anyone else surprised that nobody transfered out at the semester break to save some eligibility?

very much so.

skip that is my point. it shouldnt have been brought up. i am disappointed frank said it at all. but if he does, he should then ask the tough question "coach, how can you accomplish this when all your scholarships are spoken for next year?"

second, frank doesnt bring it up if he wasnt told it by majerus and/or staff. in this instance, i dont think it is productive for the public to know we are still recruiting.

hey, i understand that a player or two may not measure up. but i still feel the university owes those kids the option of making the decision. and that might be what is happening. but if that decision hasnt been made yet, it shouldnt be a public psuedo announcement yet imo.

The question doesn't need to be asked because it is understood. All of the big-time programs overrecruit their open scholarships. You are entitled to your own opinions regarding the ethics of the practice, but if we intend to be a big boy in college basketball this is part of the game. If you don't do this, then you end up signing Obi's and Horace's in late May.

I don't recall Frank ever asking a tough question of a Billiken coach.

The question doesn't need to be asked because it is understood. All of the big-time programs overrecruit their open scholarships. You are entitled to your own opinions regarding the ethics of the practice, but if we intend to be a big boy in college basketball this is part of the game. If you don't do this, then you end up signing Obi's and Horace's in late May.

can you present the last bigtime program that did this but it wasnt because of an underclassman that was headed to the nba the next year and instead had to "cut" an existing player? i.e. a positive over recruitment rather than a negative? thanks in advance for the info. i cant think of any, but if all the big time programs do this, there must be some easy examples.

It's understood to you, me, and the rest of Billikens.com. Is it understood by the rest of our fanbase? Or even the casual sports fan? Maybe it's just me, but I think this is something a reporter should report...regardless of any ethical concerns.

can you present the last bigtime program that did this but it wasnt because of an underclassman that was headed to the nba the next year and instead had to "cut" an existing player? i.e. a positive over recruitment rather than a negative? thanks in advance for the info. i cant think of any, but if all the big time programs do this, there must be some easy examples.

Just down the road at Mizzou last year. CMA had Dandridge transfer out. He recruited the whole time like he would have at least one more scholarship avalible than what was there on paper. Weber is doing the same thing now when it comes to the 2009 class. He has more offers out there than scholarships avalible on paper. Somebody on the roster will have to go if he gets the players he wants.

I think it's a brave new world in Billiken basketball, but I can't object to it too much. It actually seems as if Majerus is bringing basketball scholarships more into parallel with academic scholarships: If you have an academic scholarship and you don't perform to a certain level, you lose the scholarship. Granted, the level the current players expected they'd have to play at and the level the new coach expects are vastly different.

Frank and Bob's show is on right now on KFNS. Ask Frank the question re: filled scholarships. www.Kfns.com to stream. 314 969 0590.

Remember, Coach's show is tonite as well. 7pm on KFNS, he takes questions from callers.

Just down the road at Mizzou last year. CMA had Dandridge transfer out. He recruited the whole time like he would have at least one more scholarship avalible than what was there on paper. Weber is doing the same thing now when it comes to the 2009 class. He has more offers out there than scholarships avalible on paper. Somebody on the roster will have to go if he gets the players he wants.

Jamal Foster at SIUC also lost his spot with the Salukis do to him being caught in the scholarship number game.

Roy, I don't have time to research specific examples, but this happens everywhere. Part of Soderberg's recruiting problem was that he didn't play the game. Go to the recruiting sites, count the number of commitments and scholarship offers outstanding at most BCS schools, and then count the number of seniors on the respective schools' rosters. This is a routine practice, and it isn't new.

Roy, I don't have time to research specific examples, but this happens everywhere. Part of Soderberg's recruiting problem was that he didn't play the game. Go to the recruiting sites, count the number of commitments and scholarship offers outstanding at most BCS schools, and then count the number of seniors on the respective schools' rosters. This is a routine practice, and it isn't new.

so what you are really saying is you dont know of any. and the only other examples others gave were mi$$ouri and siu one time. not every year.

thanks.

so what you are really saying is you dont know of any. and the only other examples others gave were mi$$ouri and siu one time. not every year.

thanks.

How about the numbers that Weber is recruiting for his '09 class? He is not going to be losing any players on that roster to the NBA. There are three examples without even leaving the bi-state area.

How about the numbers that Weber is recruiting for his '09 class? He is not going to be losing any players on that roster to the NBA. There are three examples without even leaving the bi-state area.

How about the numbers Romar has signed for '08?