Most Amazing Transformation

moytoy12

The most amazing transformation in my opinion is the change in Billikan's attitude. He went from 100% positive and bashing anyone that posted anything slightly negative (which always created an interesting contradiction, but i digress) to the negative nancy that pissed and moaned about the 4 worst games in SLU history. He has been uber-negative this season and i find that to be very interesting and mostly comical.

What's the deal Billikan?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most amazing transformation in my opinion is the change in Billikan's attitude. He went from 100% positive and bashing anyone that posted anything slightly negative (which always created an interesting contradiction, but i digress) to the negative nancy that pissed and moaned about the 4 worst games in SLU history. He has been uber-negative this season and i find that to be very interesting and mostly comical.

What's the deal Billikan?

Let me see if I can explain it.

I love the Bills and I care about the players.

I was incredibly excited about our new coach and I was excited about this season and next with Tommie and Kevin.

I, and many others, committed a lot of money in donations to help build the new arena.

The season started with hope and excitement.

The team played fine in the first 3 games and reportedly played well against Memphis in the morning scrimmage.

The Pitt coach says we are a quality team that will go to the NCAA after we rally but fall short.

we have a million dollar coach and a highly paid staff and all kinds of other resources--something that no other Billiken coach has ever had.

SLU has committed more resources to Billiken basketball than ever before.

Then for some unexplained reason except for his ego, our million dollar supposed hall of fame coach starts to publicly criticize the players and pisses and moans that he has no talent.

The team goes into a horrible funk and we play the worst four games that I can remember.

The hall of fame coach says he will not change and he has no talent. To me, this is about as chicken s*** and attitude as could be possible. the coach takes no blame for the bad play and just dumps on the players. I am the leader of a large organization and I would never in my wildest dreams publicly blame my teams and take no blame personally if things did not go well. In fact, I would take the blame as the leader and behind closed doors work to motivate the group to do better.

So then many on this board follow the coach's lead and dump on the players, say we have no talent and give the coach a free pass and everyone seems to accept that this season is a lost cause and we should not expect a good team that could beat anybody decent until 2009-2010.

That attitude steamed me for two reaasons. First, because I think we do have some good players and they could prove it if given a chance with a lot less negativity from the coach. Second, I did not give all that money and expect that we would spend millions of dollars to start over and just chuck away this and possibly next season.

So then a miracle happens and the coach changes his sets and lets our stars play the way they do best with the drive and kick game. The naysayers--meaning all who blindly support the coach and repeatedly give the players no credit whatsoever--are in denial that a change was made even though the assistant coach admitted it after the game and the quotes on the Billiken website from Tommie confirm it as well.

I am positive for the players and the team and the school. I hate the negativity that has been festering which started with the head coach himself. Now he seems to have changed a bit and we are hearing a bit more positive stuff. I hope that continues so we can focus on supporting the team rather than bashing the players.

I find it interesting that you lectured so many about the pitfalls of a negative attitude and then go on to post the things you have this season. You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I hope we don't see any future lectures from you.

My whole reaction has been because of the negativity of the coach and the people on this board about the players. I despise negativity and even more I despise people who are supposed to be fans but personally rip our players. I am very negative about the naysayers and I always have been.

My whole reaction has been because of the negativity of the coach and the people on this board about the players. I despise negativity and even more I despise people who are supposed to be fans but personally rip our players. I am very negative about the naysayers and I always have been.

This one was too funny.

"I despise negativity..."

"I am very negative about ..."

Do you despise yourself?

Why do some people take it upon themselves to disparage some of the best Billiken boosters anyone can find?

People are allowed to have different opinions, and should be encouraged to discuss them in civil and reasoned fashion. In past editions of Billiken teams, we had glaring holes that could not possibly be filled that season.

This year we have a similar situation, except the holes are not so large, and we have players who could develop into adequate players for this season. Not a high probability of success, but the head coach is the last person I want to read and hear about giving up the cause at the beginning of the season.

It's like we have the dream girl who said yes when asked to go to homecoming. Six feet tall, blonde, legs up to there, gorgeous, smart as a whip, and always talking. Yap, yap, yap. The car is older than she hoped, the food was cold, the waitress wrinkled her nose, the band won't play her favorite song, the corsage clashes with her dress. Some friends will see hot babe and nothing else, others will note you may not be having much fun.

I noted Chris Lowery has a better winning percentage and has more appearances in the NCAA in recent history. ;)

I have never been a huge fan of Billikan in the past, but I see his viewpoint here. We're talking about individuals, who are in their late teen and early 20s, who should not be criticized in the press by a millionaire coach. I like how you're a stand up guy, who's willing to take a hit for your subordinates when your company suffers. Given Majerus' ego, it's just harder for him to accept responsibility when things go wrong.

As others have pointed out, we need to give Majerus time and we should eventually see the results. However, there has been a pattern of him abusing players publicly in Utah and there's a question of how ethical or fair that is. Given the commitment SLU has given him, I guess they're willing to deal with it.

This was a great win for SLU and I think they benefited by the rest between games. This formula of playing your core players for basically the whole game doesn't bode well for future success in the A-10 this year, but he's willing to do it to make a point to the rest of the team. As SLU diehards, I guess we can wait another year or two to witness true progress. It's just not happening this year.

I have never been negative about any players, and I have to say your attitutude at the moment sort of steams me. I think you mistake someone being honest for someone being negative. I have listened to just about every word Coach Majerus has spoken about this team. I listen every Friday to his interview with Frank and Bob and listen to his Monday coaches show. I've read every article the Post has written about the team. He goes out of his way to describe how much he likes his guys and how proud he is that they are real student athletes, with the emphasis on students. He has never said that his players were hopeless schmucks and couldn't play basketball. He has merely said that they weren't a perfect fit with him, and there were going to be some growing pains. Has it ever entered your mind that maybe we had some bad losses because we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn? I was at the Sam Houston game. We got a lot of good shots and simply missed them; nothing more, nothing less. If we shoot 39 percent instead of 29 percent we win the game. So you, the guy who was more sanctimonious than any poster I've ever read, is bitching and moaning in the first two months of a coaches tenure. You need to listen better, quit taking selected blurbs out of interviews and stories, and realize maybe he doesn't give a crap how much money you've given to the program, he is going speak truthfully instead of worrying what the boosters may feel about their little Billikens. Like Rammer has said, the days of baking your boys some cookies because they tried hard is over, and that's the way I like it.

This one was too funny.

"I despise negativity..."

"I am very negative about

I despise negativity about our team and in particular the individual players. People like you continue to be negative and rip the players--yes I am negative about that--I hate it!

Can you show me posts where I have ripped the players?

Can you show me posts where I have ripped the players?

I'm the one saying the players have some accountability in their own bad play, and I stand by that. They played horribly against SMS, RM didn't shoot the ball that bad for 3 games. The players did. I never said we lacked talent though, what I said was it was taking longer for them to understand RM's system, and I thought they looked worn down. At one time they had taken 4 road trips and played 20 games in 24 days. They get a weeks rest and the most time they had had since the beginning of November to concentrate and learn and lo and behold they play better. I also give the players credit when they play well, and they deserve kudos for last night.

I have never been negative about any players, and I have to say your attitutude at the moment sort of steams me. I think you mistake someone being honest for someone being negative. I have listened to just about every word Coach Majerus has spoken about this team. I listen every Friday to his interview with Frank and Bob and listen to his Monday coaches show. I've read every article the Post has written about the team. He goes out of his way to describe how much he likes his guys and how proud he is that they are real student athletes, with the emphasis on students. He has never said that his players were hopeless schmucks and couldn't play basketball. He has merely said that they weren't a perfect fit with him, and there were going to be some growing pains. Has it ever entered your mind that maybe we had some bad losses because we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn? I was at the Sam Houston game. We got a lot of good shots and simply missed them; nothing more, nothing less. If we shoot 39 percent instead of 29 percent we win the game. So you, the guy who was more sanctimonious than any poster I've ever read, is bitching and moaning in the first two months of a coaches tenure. You need to listen better, quit taking selected blurbs out of interviews and stories, and realize maybe he doesn't give a crap how much money you've given to the program, he is going speak truthfully instead of worrying what the boosters may feel about their little Billikens. Like Rammer has said, the days of baking your boys some cookies because they tried hard is over, and that's the way I like it.

This is my last post on the subject. You are the only person in town who does not think that Majerus has said repeatedly that this team has very little talent. He gives them compliments and says they are nice people and they are good students, blah, blah, blah. But when he was talking about them as basketball players he has had very little positive to say until after the game last night. I will just assume that he had a transition period and now he will just keep his negative comments for practice. One of my favorite things in meetings is when people say that they Just have to say the "truth" which often means that they must insult someone publicly. I am old school and I say you do all that behind closed doors and not in the press.

I'm the one saying the players have some accountability in their own bad play, and I stand by that. They played horribly against SMS, RM didn't shoot the ball that bad for 3 games. The players did. I never said we lacked talent though, what I said was it was taking longer for them to understand RM's system, and I thought they looked worn down. At one time they had taken 4 road trips and played 20 games in 24 days. They get a weeks rest and the most time they had had since the beginning of November to concentrate and learn and lo and behold they play better. I also give the players credit when they play well, and they deserve kudos for last night.

When did SLU play 20 games in 24 days? Are you talking baseball?

He gives them compliments and says they are nice people and they are good students, blah, blah, blah. But when he was talking about them as basketball players he has had very little positive to say until after the game last night.

You go so far now that you actually discount or entirely dismiss positive statements.

Billikan, you are an absolute hypocrite. First, you bashed people all last year when their posts were negative about anything. You scolded me in particular and lectured me about how nothing positive came of negativity. Now, you come on this board for the past month or so and wallow in a cesspool of negativity about the coach, the system, hurt feelings, mean statements, etc. Finally, you say in this thread that you despise negativity. I don't care what company you run or how much money you give to the program. Your self-righteous indignation is laughable (i'm sure i'll get banned for saying that).

I can't recall kshoe or anybody not named metz, satrap, etc. (who are probably all the same) posting things that aren't based in fact.

Billikan. I've kept quiet ... until now. It's one thing to be "old school" but another to be a "mother hen." RM is not calling out individual players. RM really is talking with his players behind closed doors. When he does speak about individuals, he always praises them as a person and then he speaks frankly - such as with TL and provides an explanation why his best player will not be starting. To TL's credit (and the rest of the team), he (and they) have taken the criticism well, have improved their games and are not sulking. Billikan, the guys don't need you to be their protector.

I must admit that, prior to RM's arrival, I knew he was a top notch coach - intense with true basketball intellect. I did not realize he had some odd personal traits: lives in a hotel, swims every day, not married/no children/grown-up Momma's boy .... Also did not realize he speaks his mind, holds no punches, favors national media over local media, conducts closed practices and is not afraid to make public comments about his team. RM is truly not like any recent SLU coach. Sounds like this may be a real problem for you. I'd suggest you get used to it, and if not, that you not let it consume your posts.

I find it quite funny that several on this Board claim they are happy to have RM but want him to coach Brad's players like Brad did. One even suggested, without any basis, that RM could coach Brad's style better than Brad. Why would RM want to? After 5 years, I am really not sure what Brad's offense really is/was. Let me remind you. No NCAA tourney over Brad's tenure, one 9 win season, awful games on the road last year (T A&M, Duquesne, St. Bonnie) and only 19/20 wins last year ending with a 20 point blowout to GW.

Also, I find it funny that several on this Board complain how complex RM's offense is, how it can only run by really talented players, and that it only consists of perimeter passing and shots off a screen. Has it occurred to you that RM's offense may consist of "drive and kick"? We still have not seen all of RM's offense. BTW, when did Brad's offense become synomymous with winning and success while RM's offense - which is so complex that our guys have not mastered it after 2 months - become so basic that it not include "drive and kick" and that it only consists only of screens and perimeter passing until 12 seconds left on the shot clock. Then, when the team shoots 68% in the second half and scores the last 13 points that you conclude that RM has abandoned his offense in favor of Brad's offense. Get real.

Billikan. I've kept quiet ... until now. It's one thing to be "old school" but another to be a "mother hen." RM is not calling out individual players. RM really is talking with his players behind closed doors. When he does speak about individuals, he always praises them as a person and then he speaks frankly - such as with TL and provides an explanation why his best player will not be starting. To TL's credit (and the rest of the team), he (and they) have taken the criticism well, have improved their games and are not sulking. Billikan, the guys don't need you to be their protector.

I must admit that, prior to RM's arrival, I knew he was a top notch coach - intense with true basketball intellect. I did not realize he had some odd personal traits: lives in a hotel, swims every day, not married/no children/grown-up Momma's boy .... Also did not realize he speaks his mind, holds no punches, favors national media over local media, conducts closed practices and is not afraid to make public comments about his team. RM is truly not like any recent SLU coach. Sounds like this may be a real problem for you. I'd suggest you get used to it, and if not, that you not let it consume your posts.

I find it quite funny that several on this Board claim they are happy to have RM but want him to coach Brad's players like Brad did. One even suggested, without any basis, that RM could coach Brad's style better than Brad. Why would RM want to? After 5 years, I am really not sure what Brad's offense really is/was. Let me remind you. No NCAA tourney over Brad's tenure, one 9 win season, awful games on the road last year (T A&M, Duquesne, St. Bonnie) and only 19/20 wins last year ending with a 20 point blowout to GW.

Also, I find it funny that several on this Board complain how complex RM's offense is, how it can only run by really talented players, and that it only consists of perimeter passing and shots off a screen. Has it occurred to you that RM's offense may consist of "drive and kick"? We still have not seen all of RM's offense. BTW, when did Brad's offense become synomymous with winning and success while RM's offense - which is so complex that our guys have not mastered it after 2 months - become so basic that it not include "drive and kick" and that it only consists only of screens and perimeter passing until 12 seconds left on the shot clock. Then, when the team shoots 68% in the second half and scores the last 13 points that you conclude that RM has abandoned his offense in favor of Brad's offense. Get real.

you forgot a part of RM's offense .... I'm pretty sure you have to pass it around the perimiter until 12 seconds are left and one of the lesser shooters on the team have the ball.

I despise negativity about our team and in particular the individual players. People like you continue to be negative and rip the players--yes I am negative about that--I hate it!

i agree with billikan. billikan's "negativity" has been questioning the coach's performance and the coach's offcourt demeanor about his players. billikan has remained very positive about the players.

those of you constantly defending majerus (who is paid handsomely to take the heat) and agreeing that he has no talent to work with are actually the ones being negative towards our team.

many of us believe in this team and think this team could be a ncaa qualifier if coached to win instead of ramming a square peg in a round hole and basically holding the team back from succeeding now. hopefully the "training period" is now over and we can get back to trying to compete and win games.

Skip, the funny thing is I remember vividly just one year ago when we were struggling that the core Brad apologists (and they know who they are) didn't blame the losses on him but rather on the players not making plays, not shooting well and of course very personal attacks on Ian and sometimes JJ.

It staggers me that many of these same people now claim that anyone suggests that this team doesn't have the depth and talent to compete for NCAA tourney births is somehow negative and ripping the players.

Skip, the funny thing is I remember vividly just one year ago when we were struggling that the core Brad apologists (and they know who they are) didn't blame the losses on him but rather on the players not making plays, not shooting well and of course very personal attacks on Ian and sometimes JJ.

It staggers me that many of these same people now claim that anyone suggests that this team doesn't have the depth and talent to compete for NCAA tourney births is somehow negative and ripping the players.

On the other hand when I blamed the players last year after the Bonnies game, I was lambasted, because I didn't think it was UB's fault. Imo it's so simple, the coaches coach, the players play. When a team shoots 29% and people try to absolve the players for their ow personal agenda, it's comical

i agree with billikan. billikan's "negativity" has been questioning the coach's performance and the coach's offcourt demeanor about his players. billikan has remained very positive about the players.

those of you constantly defending majerus (who is paid handsomely to take the heat) and agreeing that he has no talent to work with are actually the ones being negative towards our team.

many of us believe in this team and think this team could be a ncaa qualifier if coached to win instead of ramming a square peg in a round hole and basically holding the team back from succeeding now. hopefully the "training period" is now over and we can get back to trying to compete and win games.

Roy, I have defended Majerus and not taken shots at the players. Saying this roster isn't loaded with great talent is not taking shots at players. It is stating an obvious fact. This team has little margin for error due to that fact. I have said all along to wait till the conference season starts before you start judging this team and the job Majerus is doing.

The real issue of this thread is whose allowed to speak negatively about our program? When Billikan slams us for being negative toward Billiken hoops, as he's done to myself and others countless times in the last year, then comes out with negative comments about RM and how lousy a job he's doing coaching this team, he expects a free pass. The tenor of his posting last year was, "hey don't knock 'em they're our team and UB's our coach." When many of us didn't agree, we were called "not real fans." Well, isn't RM our coach? Still, I hope he continues to post his opinions, positive or negative. He goes to every game, knows more about the program than most of us, and he's one of the best fans SLU has. Roy, you and Billikan view this team as having the necessary talent to make the NCAA. you've never come out and said it, but most definitely implied that maybe if UB had been given just one more year, this might have come to pass. Many of us disagree because we just don't see the talent necessary to reach that pinnacle. Billikan may not like it. You may not like it. It's called free speech, get used to it.

The real issue of this thread is whose allowed to speak negatively about our program? When Billikan slams us for being negative toward Billiken hoops, as he's done to myself and others countless times in the last year, then comes out with negative comments about RM and how lousy a job he's doing coaching this team, he expects a free pass. The tenor of his posting last year was, "hey don't knock 'em they're our team and UB's our coach." When many of us didn't agree, we were called "not real fans." Well, isn't RM our coach? Still, I hope he continues to post his opinions, positive or negative. He goes to every game, knows more about the program than most of us, and he's one of the best fans SLU has. Roy, you and Billikan view this team as having the necessary talent to make the NCAA. you've never come out and said it, but most definitely implied that maybe if UB had been given just one more year, this might have come to pass. Many of us disagree because we just don't see the talent necessary to reach that pinnacle. Billikan may not like it. You may not like it. It's called free speech, get used to it.

You can even agree with Billikan and he we still go off on you for being negative. He called me a seer of evil last year when I was agreeing with him about some of Brad's situation. The guy is not very rational.

Roy, you and Billikan view this team as having the necessary talent to make the NCAA. you've never come out and said it, but most definitely implied that maybe if UB had been given just one more year, this might have come to pass. Many of us disagree because we just don't see the talent necessary to reach that pinnacle. Billikan may not like it. You may not like it. It's called free speech, get used to it.

i want to point out that it is you that made this a soderberg point not me. i beleive in coach majerus, especially long term. and if anyone could have overachieved as those of you that continuously knock our current talent infer it would take, past record says it is rickma. that is what is so frustrating.

as to your "It's called free speech, get used to it." shot,

i personally havent said you or any of the defenders of rickma's performance thus far shouldnt be allowed to say anything. if you ask me, those of us questioning why coach majerus hasnt achieved this year are the ones being shouted down. so not real sure where that shot came from.

Lately, I have been hammering on Billikan as much as anybody for his - in my opinion - senseless comments but I do agree that we all have a right to our thoughts. While I might disagree with Billikan he has the right to make them. He apparently has been a long time donor and fan of the Bills and I will always respect that of anyone regardless of their comments. The program needs and needed everyone they can to succeed.

I agree with those who have said that RM has not actually said the bad things about his players that some seem to sense he has said. I have tried to point out that all NCAA teams live in the public and so to a certain degree they have to expect some amount of public comments without it being hateful or personal. RM never did that all he ever said were objective comments that most of us were thinking anyway. I have no problem with an honest coach - after all the Cardinals are now being lambasted for not being honest with their fans - see Bernie's column in the Post today. I always want honesty even if it is not what I like hearing. This whole situation reminds me of when the teacher has a pupil that has much talent and upside but for whatever the reason he/she seems somewhat unmotivated and mostly gives the basic effort. The teacher pushes that kid to perform better to their talent to the point that the kids gets frustrated. Now the kid has two was to go, he can keep trying and eventually succeed or go home and tell his/her parents that the teacher does not like me and is picking on me. Fortunately, the kids on our team did the former and they will ultimately be better players and people for that.

As far as RM's supposed negativity impacting the team's performance and lack of confidence - during the SHS game, there was point when RM was talking to KL and KL put his arm on RM's shoulder as the instructions were being given to him. When I saw that, I knew that KL was the student who was understanding that the teacher only had his best interest in mind. Another example of this was when Luke at the SIUC game was bleeding at the end and it was reported that he told RM that " I am not coming out" - if Luke had been beaten down so badly that he was this whipped puppy that some would lead you to believe that RM has done to the team with is "bad mouthing" Luke would have been happy to get out of the game. But, no, he had no lack of confidence he wanted to stay and was not the least bit afraid to be in there during this crucial time. My point is RM has not torn these kids apart - thank goodness they are mature and astute enough to understand him even though some of us may not be.

This now so famous "drive and kick" change in the offense that took place the other night - as I and others have said, all coaches have multiple looks to their overall offensive and defensive schemes. To righteously claim that RM has now "seen the light" and changed his ways is simply comical. To say/think that you have coached some little league games and are now able to read the mind of RM and know that he has scrapped his original plans only reinforces that silliness. RM has allows said that "time" is what he is missing most with this team. He has not been able to teach them everything he wants them to know and he has even said perhaps he was wrong to schedule as many games in such a short period of time early in the season because of this "time" issue. We had a week off before the SIUC game, RM tweaked his offensive approach for the game to meet SIUC defensive style - nothing new here just what coaches do and does not mean that he has abandoned his overall approach. If we had been playing some other team he might not have even implemented the "drive and kick" at all. This only supports what RM has been saying all along - he needed time to teach. Since there were some many games with very few days in between before this, he could not make the adjustments he wanted - simple as that. (Skip your post above is accurate)

Finally, to those of you who thought this team was a NCAA qualifier - it was not last year when we had IV so why would you think it so this year. To hang your hat on RM coaching us to 3-5 more wins with la team that was missing IV this year was not realistic. This team is not overly talented - it has enough talent to be competitive most nights but that is where it stops. With a little luck this team could have made the NIT last year or maybe even sneaked in to the NCAA but it would have and will take a "little luck".