Most Amazing Transformation

moytoy12

Maybe you guys didn't get the memo, but hoops88 is a troll. He is not a Slu fan. When we says "we" when referring to SLU, don't buy it.

I've been ignoring him. I don't even "get" to read his posts. I encourage more of you to take advantage of this feature. Just click on the username, select "view member profile," then click "options" and select "ignore user."

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey as long as lisch and liddell are turned loose like the last 44 minutes i am fine. but if they have to go back to hoosier ball where tommie and kevin are forced to look to the paint first every time they touch the ball, i'll be screaming again. tommie and kevin are both good enough and unselfish enough to make those decisions in the flow of the game, and to put limitations on them is akin to taking away possessions.

think about it. if say each player is forced to take a shot clock shot 3 times and they each passed up better opportunities earlier in that possession, that is the same as giving away about 10 points a game. 10 points wins missouri state and sammy davis state.

play to the strength of the team. we did saturday nite and it looked like a whole new team. the fact that majerus admittedly practiced that last week is extremely encouraging. no it is down right exciting. now if the coaches can spend xmas break doing extra credit time with our two best freshmen that are supposedly behind in majerus basketball class 101, and thus get them to the point where they can indeed contribute as well, that would be a great xmas present to the billiken fandom.

The fact that they are considered our two "best" freshmen, further highlights why Sodie had to go. Our recruiting class was ranked in the bottom half of the A10. Fortunately, the times are a changing.

Hey Billikan, I do appreciate your fervor for Billiken basketball, and it is true we just have to agree to disagree. I look forward to reading your posts, and lambasting you if I think you're off base. Of course, anyone's foul mood is nothing that a few wins won't cure. Saturday night was maybe the start of something big. I guarantee no one will be ripping anything if we went on a long winning streak. The board might get really boring.

The fact that they are considered our two "best" freshmen, further highlights why Sodie had to go. Our recruiting class was ranked in the bottom half of the A10. Fortunately, the times are a changing.

acie, i dont see anyone saying they wish soderberg was still here instead of majerus, so what is your point of repeating it daily 4-5 times?

we all agree that majerus was the best thing that has EVER happened to saint louis university men's basketball. what we disagree on is the path he has taken thus far with the team. imo, saturday nite was a huge night because it combined the best majerus brings to the table in our defense and discipline, plus it allowed our best two players to be the team leaders we all know they can be. hopefully the trend reached bottom and going forward is all up since the last four minutes of the sammy game.

Hey Billikan, I do appreciate your fervor for Billiken basketball, and it is true we just have to agree to disagree. I look forward to reading your posts, and lambasting you if I think you're off base. Of course, anyone's foul mood is nothing that a few wins won't cure. Saturday night was maybe the start of something big. I guarantee no one will be ripping anything if we went on a long winning streak. The board might get really boring.

if a long winning streak starts, we can then get to the important issues of game events during timeouts, the band performance, blue crew, fund raising and marketing, future recruiting, guy phillips, girls team, other sports, etc. we can always find something to debate all things billiken. :lol:

if a long winning streak starts, we can then get to the important issues of game events during timeouts, the band performance, blue crew, fund raising and marketing, future recruiting, guy phillips, girls team, other sports, etc. we can always find something to debate all things billiken. :lol:

Speaking on what needs to be improved, how bad was Blondie(the blonde hair ref). He was an absolute freakin joke. I was giving him hell all game.

acie, i dont see anyone saying they wish soderberg was still here instead of majerus, so what is your point of repeating it daily 4-5 times?

we all agree that majerus was the best thing that has EVER happened to saint louis university men's basketball. what we disagree on is the path he has taken thus far with the team. imo, saturday nite was a huge night because it combined the best majerus brings to the table in our defense and discipline, plus it allowed our best two players to be the team leaders we all know they can be. hopefully the trend reached bottom and going forward is all up since the last four minutes of the sammy game.

I guess I have to repeat things 4-5 times a day to combat some of your roymors. The latest one you continue to throw out there is that somehow Majerus is holding back these "talented" freshmen (Relphorde and Mitchell), by not playing them. Your criticism of Majerus is way off base. Those "talented freshmen" were not highly regarded. Relphorde could be a nice player in time, but he got a chance on Saturday. Timmermann made it sound like he was overmatched. The box score backs that up. As for Mitchell, he wasn't on anybody's recruiting radar. Hopefully he will be a diamond in the rough, but just because you saw him play in high school and thought he looked great against some po-dunk Illinois high school, doesn't mean the kid is ready to compete as a D1 freshman. Plus, one of the few positions of strength on this team is at the wing, where playing time will be a little harder to come by. I may be way off base here, but I think I'm going to trust RM's ability to judge talent over that of BillikenRoy and Billikan.

I guess I have to repeat things 4-5 times a day to combat some of your roymors. The latest one you continue to throw out there is that somehow Majerus is holding back these "talented" freshmen (Relphorde and Mitchell), by not playing them. Your criticism of Majerus is way off base. Those "talented freshmen" were not highly regarded. Relphorde could be a nice player in time, but he got a chance on Saturday. Timmermann made it sound like he was overmatched. The box score backs that up. As for Mitchell, he wasn't on anybody's recruiting radar. Hopefully he will be a diamond in the rough, but just because you saw him play in high school and thought he looked great against some po-dunk Illinois high school, doesn't mean the kid is ready to compete as a D1 freshman. Plus, one of the few positions of strength on this team is at the wing, where playing time will be a little harder to come by. I may be way off base here, but I think I'm going to trust RM's ability to judge talent over that of BillikenRoy and Billikan.

you are spinning my remarks ace. i admitted that they are likely behind in the basketball iq class. thus what they can do on a playground or at the rec center doesnt translate to the floor. however, i would expect a great coaching staff to be able to mold that raw player just as majerus did with los angeles playground star, andre miller a decade ago and make something that can contribute to the team in games in some manner. i am not saying they will be andre miller, andre miller was a fantastic college player by the time he graduated from college. but i know that they have the tools to be better than just the 9th and 10th players in practice scrimmages and contribute to the team production in games.

i dont care how much they were or were not acclaimed, i know from watching anthony mitchell in high school he has talent and size that could be utilized eventually. but i also understand that he needs to be able to understand the basic principals of more than one on one basketball as well. that is why i am saying hey take the break to spend the extra time with the likes of these players to try to bring them up to speed and be able to utilize their talents and increase our depth. dont just disgard them like shoes bought that dont look right after you get them home. give the kids the coaching they need and then give them their chance.

Maybe you guys didn't get the memo, but hoops88 is a troll. He is not a Slu fan. When we says "we" when referring to SLU, don't buy it.

Ace,

I didn't know that you HAD to be a SLU fan to comment on this board. I'm a basketball fan that speaks the truth ! I've never said we referring to SLU. You are a SLU fan that's being unrealistic !!!!

you are spinning my remarks ace. i admitted that they are likely behind in the basketball iq class. thus what they can do on a playground or at the rec center doesnt translate to the floor. however, i would expect a great coaching staff to be able to mold that raw player just as majerus did with los angeles playground star, andre miller a decade ago and make something that can contribute to the team in games in some manner. i am not saying they will be andre miller, andre miller was a fantastic college player by the time he graduated from college. but i know that they have the tools to be better than just the 9th and 10th players in practice scrimmages and contribute to the team production in games.

i dont care how much they were or were not acclaimed, i know from watching anthony mitchell in high school he has talent and size that could be utilized eventually. but i also understand that he needs to be able to understand the basic principals of more than one on one basketball as well. that is why i am saying hey take the break to spend the extra time with the likes of these players to try to bring them up to speed and be able to utilize their talents and increase our depth. dont just disgard them like shoes bought that dont look right after you get them home. give the kids the coaching they need and then give them their chance.

I'm not spinning anything. Here is what you said...

"now if the coaches can spend xmas break doing extra credit time with our two best freshmen that are supposedly behind in majerus basketball class 101,"

You use the word "supposedly", like you don't entirely believe Majerus' assessment. A week or so ago, you were complaining again about those guys not playing. These freshmen play the wing where minutes are the hardest to come by on this team.

There are minutes available at the 1, which is why Eckerle is getting PT and there is plenty of available minutes at the 4 and 5, but unfortunately Sodie didn't recruit anybody at those positions his last go-around.

How can you then suggest RM might discard "them like shoes bought that dont look right after you get them home." That's a ridiculous statement. I'm sure the staff is working hard to try to improve them. He even through Relphorde into the fire against Carbondale.

give the kids the coaching they need and then give them their chance.

Ok, so does this apply to our stellar Sophomore class as well? Or has RM basically thrown them under the bus ? Next to recruiting, Player development is a coach's biggest job. It's something that's been sorely lacking at SLU for a number of years. When you look back over the last 13 years or so, after Spoon's NCAA teams, how many players improved significantly during their time at SLU? Few come to mind: IV ( due to the summer of world championships though), Jeffers, Perry, Fisher, Lidell, Lisch, and Meyer (maturity and TL's improved outside shot), maybe a few other role players got better. Definitely not enough to make annual appearances at the dance. The list of potential players improving but not is a long one. Serious players love to go to places where they will get wins, get better, get noticed. I seriously hope RM can do this for all our players, although I'm not counting too much on DM and AK being around to reap the benefits of his teaching. It's like Eckerle said, "I thought I knew something about basketball, until I met RM." Conklin signed on because he got a 3 page letter on what he needed to work on to take his game to the next level. He may not have known where St. Louis was on a map. This is what RM loves to do; teach the game. He's said it time and time again. It's what he missed most. It's what brought him to us.

Ace,

I didn't know that you HAD to be a SLU fan to comment on this board. I'm a basketball fan that speaks the truth ! I've never said we referring to SLU. You are a SLU fan that's being unrealistic !!!!

You don't have to be a SLU fan to comment on this board. I have no problem with fans of other programs commenting on this board. Some people thought that your comments were those of a disgruntled SLU fan. To avoid any confusion, I just wanted to make it clear that you are not a SLU fan. Just be up front about what team you are rooting for. It is clear that SLU doing well is not something you would like to see happen. That's fine. What team do you root for? How am I being unrealistic?

"now if the coaches can spend xmas break doing extra credit time with our two best freshmen that are supposedly behind in majerus basketball class 101,"

You use the word "supposedly", like you don't entirely believe Majerus' assessment. A week or so ago, you were complaining again about those guys not playing. These freshmen play the wing where minutes are the hardest to come by on this team.

There are minutes available at the 1, which is why Eckerle is getting PT and there is plenty of available minutes at the 4 and 5, but unfortunately Sodie didn't recruit anybody at those positions his last go-around.

How can you then suggest RM might discard "them like shoes bought that dont look right after you get them home." That's a ridiculous statement. I'm sure the staff is working hard to try to improve them. He even through Relphorde into the fire against Carbondale.

eckerle never comes in the game and plays the point. he might guard the opposing point guard (which mitchell could do as well) but he doesnt play the point offensively. if polk isnt in the game the chore goes to lisch or liddell.

i would rather see relphorde play the 4 so that meyer can stay at the sf spot. i agree luke meyer is a far better power forward at this point in time, however i think luke excels at the sf position and actually has an advantage as a small forward once in awhile defensively.

agreed majerus hasnt discarded them yet. i hope he doesnt. i used that phrase as what i hope he isnt doing. i want to see the coaching staff coach these two young talents.

btw, the discussion was about relphorde and mitchell, but you felt the need to again bring soderberg into it. no reason to bring that into a discussion about coaching our current players. you really need to get over the soderberg crutch for your never ending excuses.

eckerle never comes in the game and plays the point. he might guard the opposing point guard (which mitchell could do as well) but he doesnt play the point offensively. if polk isnt in the game the chore goes to lisch or liddell.

i would rather see relphorde play the 4 so that meyer can stay at the sf spot. i agree luke meyer is a far better power forward at this point in time, however i think luke excels at the sf position and actually has an advantage as a small forward once in awhile defensively.

agreed majerus hasnt discarded them yet. i hope he doesnt. i used that phrase as what i hope he isnt doing. i want to see the coaching staff coach these two young talents.

btw, the discussion was about relphorde and mitchell, but you felt the need to again bring soderberg into it. no reason to bring that into a discussion about coaching our current players. you really need to get over the soderberg crutch for your never ending excuses.

Anyone that knows the game SHOULD tell you that Relphorde and Mitchell should be playing over Luke Meyer ! Some of you would rather lose with subpar players rather than win with the players that should be playing. Oh , I almost forgot that I'm in St.Louis. That explains everything. I'm sorry !

Anyone that knows the game SHOULD tell you that Relphorde and Mitchell should be playing over Luke Meyer !

well you just proved ace's point.

I think its quite obvious that Paul is the best Freshman? I mean, correct me if I am wrong but I think its pretty straight forward.

Relphorde at the 4? I don't think he played there much in high school. He was described as a "swingman" when we signed him. He was not a true 4 man. Luke has already played out of position, now we're asking another guy (a freshman) to learn a new position and contribute right away? Wow! And some people think we currently have enough talent on this roster. If we had more depth, Relphorde could take his time with this transition. It will be nice when we finally have several players coming in who have played a lot at the 4 and 5 in high school.

For what it is worth, here is what Timmermann had to say about Relphorde's appearance... "Marcus Relphorde, who hadn’t played in the previous three games, played three minutes in the first half. He was supposed to be guarding Matt Shaw, and that didn’t work out too well. Relphorde didn’t play in the second half."

Anyone that knows the game SHOULD tell you that Relphorde and Mitchell should be playing over Luke Meyer ! Some of you would rather lose with subpar players rather than win with the players that should be playing. Oh , I almost forgot that I'm in St.Louis. That explains everything. I'm sorry !

How can you justify that statement? You are an ignorant tool.

You would think, but it sounds like Roy has a different view of it.

no i agree that eckerle has done all the things to deserve that label.

i bring up mitchell and relphorde because we constantly are told this team doesnt have enough depth. depth is developed by playing the players. it would be different if we only trotted out 7 or 8 players. if it needs to be gradual, fine. teach them and gradually work them in. hopefully the few minutes relphorde played shows he is working his way back in. granted houston baptist isnt north carolina, but relphorde scored 14 with 7 rebounds playing pf most of his minutes per ramsey's pbp that night. he has the size to play it. i am not saying he needs to play big minutes there. (eberhardt should be playing those minutes) but if that keeps meyer at the sf more often where luke can be even better, then i am for that.

If the kid buys into what RM is selling and if the kid gives maximum effort, RM can make the kid alot better. Agree with you. At the same time, our team is full of guys closer to Justin Johnson than to Andre Miller. RM can only do so much. Not sure RM could have been much better with JJ than Brad did. Just like some think RM can make an average team and NCAA team just because he walks the sidelines. One of the reasons RM has never had a losing season is that he recruits well and has run off others. While I had been totally against running off players, I have changed my opinion. Reason, of course, should always be factored in. Don't think it good and proper to routinely do this to kids. At the same time, the rest of the players and the SLU basketball program are not better off than wasting valuable time and effort for a kid that won't get off the bench anyway. Call me callous and hard-hearted but I'd rather RM spend his time with kids who possess greater talent than less talent. I cannot, and am not, making a judgment call on our freshmen and sophomores. I haven't watched them play enough - especially in practice. Will trust RM's judgment. At the same time, just because a kid chose SLU and Brad does not mean we and RM need to invest 4 years into him.

no i agree that eckerle has done all the things to deserve that label.

i bring up mitchell and relphorde because we constantly are told this team doesnt have enough depth. depth is developed by playing the players. it would be different if we only trotted out 7 or 8 players. if it needs to be gradual, fine. teach them and gradually work them in. hopefully the few minutes relphorde played shows he is working his way back in. granted houston baptist isnt north carolina, but relphorde scored 14 with 7 rebounds playing pf most of his minutes per ramsey's pbp that night. he has the size to play it. i am not saying he needs to play big minutes there. (eberhardt should be playing those minutes) but if that keeps meyer at the sf more often where luke can be even better, then i am for that.

"now if the coaches can spend xmas break doing extra credit time with our two best freshmen that are supposedly behind in majerus basketball class 101"... Based on your earlier comment, who were you referring to when you said our "two best freshmen"?

I agree that we are much better when Luke is at the 4, that's why some of us were so frustrated with last year's recruiting. It looks like maybe Relphorde has leapfrogged ahead of Knollmeyer in terms of who sees the floor. Or maybe Majerus will play one or the other based on match-ups.

Ekerle will be at Saint Louis U regardless of basketball he is studying pre-med.

He would walk on before going elsewhere and from what I have seen he will be one of those depth people who spells another guard for a few minutes per game in the future with out any drop off.