RM's made it official

slu72

Read TT's article today. RM basically saying he's not sacrificing his system to fit this year's personnel. He's conceded this year will be a struggle and probably next year as well. The most we can hope for this year is to see players get comfortable in his system, especially TL, KL, BE, and PE so at least we have some foundation to build on with the incoming class. Also, that we land a couple of solid JUCO's that will make this transition period a little easier to swallow. But it's clear now this year is going to be a "test track year" rather than a year to try and win races. He's not going to give in and say, ok let's do something you're comfortable with. Very telling about our woeful shooting when TL gets scolded for taking a 16 footer, "that's not a shot we like", then passes on a wide open 3 because of doubt. As many have noted on here, you can't shoot well if you're trying to decide in a nano second if this is a good shot or a bad shot. Well, no one ever said it was easy being a Billiken fan.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that "shot", or lack of shot, by TL was the main conversation for my friends and I after the game. It's hard to watch Tommie struggle so much with his game when we have all witnessed his amazing ability. I think the .75 seconds of decision making time, on that particular play, are a dichotomy of the entire season thus far. For two years we have been rooting for TL and KL. They have impressed us and shown flashes of shear greatness. It has been really fun. I guess we have to do one of two things: Hope that they catch on to this crazy, but proven, RM style of play or just sit around all season waiting for flashes of glory (exemplified by Tommie's last five minutes of play in this last game). I enjoy rooting for the players that I have grown to love over the last few years but I can't help wish for bigger and better things in the future. Go Bills!!!

I was as excited as anyone re the Majerus hire. My friend out here and I were watching for word of white smoke coming from Dubourg Hall during the process. I thought that finally, after all these years, SLU was going to be on the map in college hoops. And so did everyone else who talked to me about the Majerus hire. In fact, the hire itself put SLU on the map.

The Billikens will always be my team, no matter who is coaching the team. Frankly, I have just about seen it all in the 3 decades I have followed the team. A book could be written about the continuing saga of Billiken Basketball. Those older than me no doubt have stories from the '60's and earlier '70's. As I've posted before, my 4 undergraduate years at SLU coincided directly with the Ekker Era. My roommate and I refused to leave Ekker's office our Senior year at SLU until he let us restore the Billiken mascot.

There was hope at SLU when Rich Grawer was hired. We were at the very rock bottom when Coach Grawer assumed the reigns. We were worried that SLU was going to drop to D-2 before the Grawer hire.

This all being said, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed the way things have gone so far this year. I am also surprised that Coach Majerus is committed to his system with this group of players who so far appear to be unable to play it. The Coach did not inherit a 20 loss team; he inherited a team that won 20 games that lost its starting Center. There's not much more to write or say. I don't agree with what is happening, but I still hope for the best.

And Tom Timmermann has made it "official" that he reads this board. Good work, Mr. T.

What stinks is that 2 years ago Tommie could not shoot 3's, last year he was one of the best in the A-10 and this year he can't hit 3's again....I think much of his success last year was due to the fact they had to guard his outside shot. Then he could blow his man and force the help to him.

What's to keep RM from simply walking away after getting his head beat in for 2 years and fan support continuing to sour? This whole system or bust mentality could prove fatal to the program if it doesn't pan out. The youngsters posting here can just move on to another program but the old heads here have too much emotionally invested to do likewise if the program falls into decline.

The kids coming in, whether they are ready for it or not, are going to be viewed as the "saviors of the program" by many, many fans.

3-Star, the old regime was heading in the wrong direction, so why not give the new direction a little time? Staying the course was not working.

People need to remember that at the time Sodie got canned, we were already well into the spring signing period and the only players he had signed were Relphorde and Mitchell - both wings on a roster whose only strength was at wing (KL, TL, LM)... meanwhile the only point guard on the roster was DP and the only bigs were AK and BH! That's not good. I think Sodie still had three available scholarships at the time and seemingly no good options on the horizon to fill those spots. It looked like Sodie was heading for another summer of desperation where he would have to try to scrounge up another Horace Dixon. Fan support was already souring under the Sodie regime. It was time for a change.

I just don't understand why people assume that next year will be much different than this year. Yes, we will have 4 returning players who hopefully have a grasp on the system (yet still don't fit the system), but what about all the recruits. They may physically fit RM's system, but if it took this team so long to learn the system (I'm assuming we're still not all that close...hopefully I'm wrong), what makes people think that the freshman next year will pick it up any quicker. IMO it will be more difficult for them to pick up such a demanding and rigid system while adjusting to the speed of the college game. If RM doesn't adapt even slightly to the players he has, then this period of "laying the foundation" could last through next year as well.

that "shot", or lack of shot, by TL was the main conversation for my friends and I after the game. It's hard to watch Tommie struggle so much with his game when we have all witnessed his amazing ability. I think the .75 seconds of decision making time, on that particular play, are a dichotomy of the entire season thus far. For two years we have been rooting for TL and KL. They have impressed us and shown flashes of shear greatness. It has been really fun. I guess we have to do one of two things: Hope that they catch on to this crazy, but proven, RM style of play or just sit around all season waiting for flashes of glory (exemplified by Tommie's last five minutes of play in this last game). I enjoy rooting for the players that I have grown to love over the last few years but I can't help wish for bigger and better things in the future. Go Bills!!!

Well said.

If RM doesn't adapt even slightly to the players he has, then this period of "laying the foundation" could last through next year as well.

He's already been quoted as saying next year will be a struggle. The same folks who tell us we should have expected struggles this season because RM alluded to it choose to ignore a statement concerning struggles next year that he makes outright.

He's already been quoted as saying next year will be a struggle. The same folks who tell us we should have expected struggles this season because RM alluded to it choose to ignore a statement concerning struggles next year that he makes outright.

If the team continues to play as poorly as it has then I will start buying that we will struggle next year. I don't think it will. As far as RM's comments about struggling this year I didn't buy it at the time and I don't think RM did either. He would not have been as frustrated as he was Saturday night if he did.

If the team continues to play as poorly as it has then I will start buying that we will struggle next year. I don't think it will. As far as RM's comments about struggling this year I didn't buy it at the time and I don't think RM did either. He would not have been as frustrated as he was Saturday night if he did.

That's a very good point. RM seemed extraordinarily frustrated after the loss on Saturday. The little bit of the press conference I did hear he said that, "He needed to give a better effort." I wasn't quite sure what to make of that.

That's a very good point. RM seemed extraordinarily frustrated after the loss on Saturday. The little bit of the press conference I did hear he said that, "He needed to give a better effort." I wasn't quite sure what to make of that.

For the few thousand of us who were actually at the game, what did RM say in a press conference? I got to the car quickly and listened to the post-game radio show and was amazed that, not only did RM not show up (as is his custom-too big time for that) but neither did any of his Assts.

The past couple of days RM & SLU MBB have continued to get mentions on the "Fox Hole" 1380 Radio show. Neither host wants to be too critical, but they are none too complimentary either. At least someone but Rammer and Frank are aware that SLU has a MBB team.

They made special mention of the two local stars who have lost it this year. Regarding KL they agreed that his lost ability to shoot is mental. Both said that they did not expect the change in HC to be this rough.

For the few thousand of us who were actually at the game, what did RM say in a press conference? I got to the car quickly and listened to the post-game radio show and was amazed that, not only did RM not show up (as is his custom-too big time for that) but neither did any of his Assts.

The past couple of days RM & SLU MBB have continued to get mentions on the "Fox Hole" 1380 Radio show. Neither host wants to be too critical, but they are none too complimentary either. At least someone but Rammer and Frank are aware that SLU has a MBB team.

I was at the game and saw it the next day on TV. It was on Channel 5's morning news. What I saw was basically what Band Man stated. He was very frustrated and said blame him. Thanks for being a smart-ass asking about it.

I was at the game and saw it the next day on TV. It was on Channel 5's morning news. What I saw was basically what Band Man stated. He was very frustrated and said blame him. Thanks for being a smart-ass asking about it.

RM is looking forward to next season and that is a fact ! He would not have made those comments if he wasn't. I think he is going to clean house. He should ! I'm sure TL , KL and LM are all considering options for next year. I can see TL at SEMO, KL at UMSL, and LM at Lindenwood.

RM keeps saying these are not his guys and they don't know the game. If you were a player and your coach kept saying that wouldn't you be a bit concerned ?

RM is looking forward to next season and that is a fact ! He would not have made those comments if he wasn't. I think he is going to clean house. He should ! I'm sure TL , KL and LM are all considering options for next year. I can see TL at SEMO, KL at UMSL, and LM at Lindenwood.

RM keeps saying these are not his guys and they don't know the game. If you were a player and your coach kept saying that wouldn't you be a bit concerned ?

Brian-I agree about RM's comments about next year-that is a clear case of coach-speak, setting himself up to look great next year. If he can't produce a far better than average team next year in TL & KL's Sr year, with at least 5 of his own recruits added to the mix, then he, much like Joe Gibbs, Bud Wilkenson sp? and other returning heros, will indeed have lost his fastball.

With the new arena, and what Fr. B has agreed to spend in coaches salaries, travel etc for this staff, we should not be expected to be patient beyond this year. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry-no excitement, no energy. It needs to improve before the end of the season or it will cost the program in ticket revenue next year. My group of 12-all seats in our own names-was ready to pony up for seats with a premium next year. Now only 1 seat holder is willing to do so (2 seats) and another with 2 seats is on the fence-the other 8 seat holders have backed off from that willingness. I'm one of those 8 seat holders and all of us are discouraged, at best, by what we are hearing and seeing. I gotta believe that we are not the only season ticket holders who are questioning making a significant financial investment into the program.

Hey dumbshit, Majerus specifically said that he wanted Tommie and Kevin to be the leaders next year and Luke Meyer is a senior. Its called reading comprehension, try it sometime

Is LM getting an extra year of eligibility? Good to know you are a have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

i wasnt aware that lindenwood had a doctor of business program for luke to enroll in next year since he will finish his mba this coming spring. you are full of information.

Brian-I agree about RM's comments about next year-that is a clear case of coach-speak, setting himself up to look great next year. If he can't produce a far better than average team next year in TL & KL's Sr year, with at least 5 of his own recruits added to the mix, then he, much like Joe Gibbs, Bud Wilkenson sp? and other returning heros, will indeed have lost his fastball.

With the new arena, and what Fr. B has agreed to spend in coaches salaries, travel etc for this staff, we should not be expected to be patient beyond this year. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry-no excitement, no energy. It needs to improve before the end of the season or it will cost the program in ticket revenue next year. My group of 12-all seats in our own names-was ready to pony up for seats with a premium next year. Now only 1 seat holder is willing to do so (2 seats) and another with 2 seats is on the fence-the other 8 seat holders have backed off from that willingness. I'm one of those 8 seat holders and all of us are discouraged, at best, by what we are hearing and seeing. I gotta believe that we are not the only season ticket holders who are questioning making a significant financial investment into the program.

I am sure you are not. It has been a rough first month.

RM does not need two years to fix his system. He succeeded from one school to another. He did not need two years before, why now? Some people on the board concluded that because of RM, TL and players need 0.75 second more to decide whether to shoot and that caused all the problems. RM's change of system is therefore the reason for losing. That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

Hey dumbshit, Majerus specifically said that he wanted Tommie and Kevin to be the leaders next year and Luke Meyer is a senior. Its called reading comprehension, try it sometime

SLUSAE03,

Thanks for the extremely kind words ! I know that LM is a senior. NAIA schools have different rules. Look into it . LM could help the Lions !

SLUSAE03,

Thanks for the extremely kind words ! I know that LM is a senior. NAIA schools have different rules. Look into it . LM could help the Lions !

hoops, i am willing to bet you $100 that luke meyer could not play a second at an naia school next year if he finishes this entire year at slu.

if you are referring to tatum when he was at slu, he sat out the first three semesters at slu due to academics and thus he had 3 unused semesters of school. he could have actually came back and played at slu his senior year as well but he and romar had apparently grown to hate each other so much neither wanted anything to do with another year at slu so he used it at mckendree.