Jeff Peterson

Box and Won

Jeff Peterson scored 20 for the Hawkeyes last night against Northern Colorado.

And in his first game:

It was a night of firsts for two University of Iowa newcomers Friday at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. A 58-43 victory over Idaho State was the first as a Hawkeye for Head Coach Todd Lickliter. That milestone corresponded -- not so coincidentally -- with the first collegiate start by freshman point guard Jeff Peterson.

Peterson played a game-high 38 minutes and handed out nine assists with no turnovers. He also led all scorers with 12 points in the first half, grabbed four rebounds and had two steals.

"Nine assists and zero turnovers -- that's super," Lickliter said. "He did that by having an understanding of the game and playing within himself."

The beneficiary of many of the second-half assists from Peterson was Hawkeye senior Justin Johnson who scored a game-high 21 points. Johnson made 7 of 12 three-point field goals -- tying him for third in Iowa history for most treys in a game.

"Jeff found me," Johnson said. "As a freshman he does a good job controlling the game."

Idaho State Coach Joe O'Brien was also impressed with the play of Peterson.

"Peterson played with confidence," O'Brien said.

Ball distribution wasn't limited to just Peterson. Sophomore Dan Bothall had six assists in 32 minutes.

Did we pass on this guy or something???? I can't recall.......

Brad couldn't seal the deal. By all accounts, we were the front-runner initially, but Peterson ended up committing to Iowa at the last minute, even though THEY DIDN'T HAVE A HEAD COACH IN PLACE at the time. It reminded me of when Ashcroft lost to the deceased Mel Carnahan.

Don't blame UB -- my second hand source says Peterson called last spring to commit to the Bills -- trouble was, he called on the day that UB got fired. I believe AT took the call.

I may be wrong, but he was strongly leaning toward Iowa when UB was still here. In fact, I think he said he would honor his verbal even after the IU coach left to wait and see who got hired. Granted a lot of stuff was happening around then, but supposedly we had a leg up on everyone since he was from Missouri and his mother wanted him here. What a miss though. Those are impressive stats from a frosh.

I may be wrong, but he was strongly leaning toward Iowa when UB was still here. In fact, I think he said he would honor his verbal even after the IU coach left to wait and see who got hired. Granted a lot of stuff was happening around then, but supposedly we had a leg up on everyone since he was from Missouri and his mother wanted him here. What a miss though. Those are impressive stats from a frosh.

if i recall correctly, right before soderberg was fired, alford quit and headed to new mexico and iowa was coachless. so the scenario makes a lot of sense.

if i recall correctly, right before soderberg was fired, alford quit and headed to new mexico and iowa was coachless. so the scenario makes a lot of sense.

What I remember is that the kid's father wanted him to go to a BCS school. So, he waited until the spring and by then, we had fallen by the wayside for him wanting to to go Iowa. Then Alford leaves and then we pop back up but Brad was unable to get the kid to commit before Iowa named a new coach. Even then, their new coach was dragging his feet even after the kid said he still wanted to go there. It sounded like the only way the kid would have ended up here would have been if Iowa had simply said no to him.

i think that lickliter (sp?) was hired like a week or so before brad was fired. thus peterson probably never had the chance to talk to him and felt uneasy about it so he went to his second choice after alford soderberg.