SLU-Detroit Game Review

thetorch

Really an ugly game. A good showing from Husak saved us. Without him this would have been a terrible loss. The first half was filled with silly TOs. Even Cool Hand Luke dribbled a ball off his foot. Our offense is still a work in progress. I see only a couple people who really know what they are doing on offense, Luke and Eckerle, the rest of the team is lost. Our defense was solid. Their little guard with a mohawk is big scorer but we held him to just 10. Husak stopped most of their drives inside.

Dwayne Polk - Had a nice teardrop in the 2nd half which was a key basket. Missed a couple jumpers, 3s. He hit his fts down the stretch which was huge. Only 2 TOs and didn't make many mistakes with the ball. His defense was up and down. He was burned a couple time but was solid on Goode for most of the game. Played a team high 37 minutes. Must be doing something right.

Kevin Lisch - He was really off. Only took 3 shots and he couldn't get any open looks. I thought he was catching on with the offense but tonights game he looked as lost as Tommie. Scored 10 of his 12 points from the ft line. Stayed back and rebounded a little, finished with 6. Looked frustrated tonight. A rare thing to happen to Kevin.

Tommie Liddell III - Half the player he was in his first 2 years. Committed a handful of dumb TOs. From the point or wing position doesn't matter, he doesn't know what he is doing on offense. He had several Isos run for him and he only took a couple of them. Playing nervous, half speed, and is afraid to make mistakes or take poor shots. This isn't something that will just click on. We are in trouble if Tommie doesn't get some confidence and start dictating the offense.

Barry Eberhart - Got pushed around on the block by the skinny Detroit big men. Poor rebounding effort tonight. Still not convinced he can be anything more than an average PF.

Bryce Husak - Game of his SLU career. No doubt he has limitations, can't jump, has a hard time finishing. Takes dumb fouls and commits bad TOs. He won't be our savior but he can be a difference maker. His hook is falling inside, drawing fouls, taking it just strong enough to not finish but get fouled. Almost completed an inbounds alley-oop. Looked real strong on the boards. This is the Bryce we need if we wanna win 20 games.

Luke Meyer - 11 points 5 boards, a regular night for Luke. He is the only starter who is consistently making the right play in the offense.

Paul Eckerle - Played a lot of minutes. Played well, a couple real nifty passes, hit a big 3 and took care of the ball. He also seems to understand where he should be in the offense.

Marcus Relphorde - Played a little. Hit a nice jumper from the baseline and wasn't afraid to mix it up on the boards.

Adam Knollmeyer - I don't think he could've played a worse 2 minutes. 2 possessions, got the ball at the ft line corner, stood there with it for several seconds and was picked. Next possession he threw it away. He also came out 10 minutes late for warmups before the game. Don't know what was going on there.

RM has a lot of work to do. There are only 2 maybe 3 players who understand his system at this point and I don't even think he has implemented it even half way. This Detroit team is not good and could have beaten us.

Really an ugly game. A good showing from Husak saved us. Without him this would have been a terrible loss. The first half was filled with silly TOs. Even Cool Hand Luke dribbled a ball off his foot. Our offense is still a work in progress. I see only a couple people who really know what they are doing on offense, Luke and Eckerle, the rest of the team is lost. Our defense was solid. Their little guard with a mohawk is big scorer but we held him to just 10. Husak stopped most of their drives inside.

Dwayne Polk - Had a nice teardrop in the 2nd half which was a key basket. Missed a couple jumpers, 3s. He hit his fts down the stretch which was huge. Only 2 TOs and didn't make many mistakes with the ball. His defense was up and down. He was burned a couple time but was solid on Goode for most of the game. Played a team high 37 minutes. Must be doing something right.

Kevin Lisch - He was really off. Only took 3 shots and he couldn't get any open looks. I thought he was catching on with the offense but tonights game he looked as lost as Tommie. Scored 10 of his 12 points from the ft line. Stayed back and rebounded a little, finished with 6. Looked frustrated tonight. A rare thing to happen to Kevin.

Tommie Liddell III - Half the player he was in his first 2 years. Committed a handful of dumb TOs. From the point or wing position doesn't matter, he doesn't know what he is doing on offense. He had several Isos run for him and he only took a couple of them. Playing nervous, half speed, and is afraid to make mistakes or take poor shots. This isn't something that will just click on. We are in trouble if Tommie doesn't get some confidence and start dictating the offense.

Barry Eberhart - Got pushed around on the block by the skinny Detroit big men. Poor rebounding effort tonight. Still not convinced he can be anything more than an average PF.

Bryce Husak - Game of his SLU career. No doubt he has limitations, can't jump, has a hard time finishing. Takes dumb fouls and commits bad TOs. He won't be our savior but he can be a difference maker. His hook is falling inside, drawing fouls, taking it just strong enough to not finish but get fouled. Almost completed an inbounds alley-oop. Looked real strong on the boards. This is the Bryce we need if we wanna win 20 games.

Luke Meyer - 11 points 5 boards, a regular night for Luke. He is the only starter who is consistently making the right play in the offense.

Paul Eckerle - Played a lot of minutes. Played well, a couple real nifty passes, hit a big 3 and took care of the ball. He also seems to understand where he should be in the offense.

Marcus Relphorde - Played a little. Hit a nice jumper from the baseline and wasn't afraid to mix it up on the boards.

Adam Knollmeyer - I don't think he could've played a worse 2 minutes. 2 possessions, got the ball at the ft line corner, stood there with it for several seconds and was picked. Next possession he threw it away. He also came out 10 minutes late for warmups before the game. Don't know what was going on there.

RM has a lot of work to do. There are only 2 maybe 3 players who understand his system at this point and I don't even think he has implemented it even half way. This Detroit team is not good and could have beaten us.

With Paul playing this way he has to stay on scholarship,right?

I completely agree, this offense looks lost. What the heck is wrong with Tommie? He isn't playing well at all.

Listening to the post game show Biancardi really emphasized that it is going to take time for this team to gel on offense. There are moments when you can see what it is supposed to look like (e.g. KL's drive and dish to LM cutting to the basket on the baseline). Let's just be patient and not panic. Until this team starts to click (which i think they will by conference play), a lot of our wins our going to look like tonight. Lot's of defense and an efficient offense (just not very smooth...keep in mind we've consistently shot over 50% in every game thus far). Also, torch, I don't think BE was "pushed around" tonight on the boards. He got into foul trouble early on some questionable calls. Because of that his minutes were limited the remainder of the first half. When a guy gets in fould trouble early, its not uncommon to come back out a little tentative.

Great game by Bryce. Coach seems to be pleased with his progress. I think he will be the key to our season. If he can continue to improve everything will fall into place and pressure will be taken off Tommie and Kevin.

I do like to see the balance we are devleping on offense...all players that saw minutes tonight put up points with the exception of AK who looked pathetic (e.g. Standing near the three-pt. line and having the ball just ripped form his hands). Hopefully that will minimize the negative effect on our point totals if our big scorers have off nights much like tonight.

Also, is AM hurt right now (he looked to be limping a little bit during warmups) or is he in the doghouse after his string of charging fouls over the weekend?

Finally, did anybody else happen to notice the familiar face on the bench tonight? Wendell Bennett was out there during warmups and he was sitting next to Danny Brown in a black warmup suit on the bench. Talking to some guys on the team, he evidently was trying to salvage one more year of eligibility this year, but some kind of paper work got held up (evidently the players weren't exactly sure of the complications, but he was trying to make a "comeback")

A couple things I wanted to add.

The game programs are awful. You get roster page and 4 pages of ads for 2 bucks.

The team intros stink. Even though I hate Guy Phillips let him do it. The crowd cannot get into intros done by the players when you can't hear half of what they are saying. They just don't work. It really deflated the arena I felt.

Yea I agree with that the lights should be off. I wonder how much of the pre-game (or lack thereof) was RM's doing. He seems like a guy that's old school and not all about a big display, but I definitely agree that the lights should go off and more excitement should be generated with player intros.

Yea I agree with that the lights should be off. I wonder how much of the pre-game (or lack thereof) was RM's doing. He seems like a guy that's old school and not all about a big display, but I definitely agree that the lights should go off and more excitement should be generated with player intros.

The lights should NOT just go off during the intros...the lights on the crowd should be OFF the ENTIRE game. I don't come to watch all the old goons from the suburbs sitting on their rears the entire game, i come to watch basketball. Whoever is in charge of lights needs to learn how to dramatize an event. Turn off the house lights ASAP!

The lights should NOT just go off during the intros...the lights on the crowd should be OFF the ENTIRE game. I don't come to watch all the old goons from the suburbs sitting on their rears the entire game, i come to watch basketball. Whoever is in charge of lights needs to learn how to dramatize an event. Turn off the house lights ASAP!

I seem to recall that being done for the UNC game last year...

While we're bitching...

Band Man, a buddy of mine wanted to know why the band does the Gator Chomp®. He pointed out that we are in landlocked Missouri, a good 1,000 miles from Florida, and upon consultation of my Garmin Powerpoint LandScanner 4600® Phaser Gun/GPS, I am able to confirm this geographic/acoustic anomaly. Not a personal attack by any means, by myself or my friend (he loves the band, a damn tear comes to his eye every time we do the S-A-I-N-T! L-O-U-I-S! cheer), but I guess we're both wondering - why on Earth do we do "ze chaump de gatur"?

Does the band feel the same way? Whatcha got?

While we're bitching...

Band Man, a buddy of mine wanted to know why the band does the Gator Chomp®. He pointed out that we are in landlocked Missouri, a good 1,000 miles from Florida, and upon consultation of my Garmin Powerpoint LandScanner 4600® Phaser Gun/GPS, I am able to confirm this geographic/acoustic anomaly. Not a personal attack by any means, by myself or my friend (he loves the band, a damn tear comes to his eye every time we do the S-A-I-N-T! L-O-U-I-S! cheer), but I guess we're both wondering - why on Earth do we do "ze chaump de gatur"?

Hawk, is there some way of dimming the lights in the arena and still have the court fully lit? The lights are pretty high up. In an opera house there are lights aimed at the stage.

Jimbo, I don't think that's the Gator chomp. I think it's supposed to be a shark's bite, in companionship with the playing of the mood music from Jaws.

I agree with you about leaving the lights over the crowd off during the game. Plenty of other gyms I've been to, especially Dayton and Cincinnati, do a great job of lighting up the court and darkening the fan sections to make for a great atmosphere. I know SLU's athletic department had inquired about this, but the way the lights are set up in the Scottrade Center make it difficult because rather than being squared straight down over the fans or playing area, most lights point diagonally. When you turn the lights off above the upper bowl on one side, you wind up with a dark section above the lower bowl on the other side. With the exception of the top rows in the upper bowl, it really wouldn't work in Scottrade. Hopefully the designers of the new arena kept this in mind and will be able to make for a better atmosphere.

Also, I am pretty sure that not dimming the lights during player intros is a money-saving thing for the athletic department. Scottrade Center charges SLU a few hundred extra dollars to do that, so they have mostly opted against it. I don't know if Majerus has a hand in the decision at this point or not, or if he cares. It seems like they've only done it for big games in recent years.

While we're bitching...

It's not exactly the Gator Chomp that we're going for. We were hoping to go for a fun beach type theme, so we are playing Jaws into Wipe Out. It seems to actually get some of the crowd involved (b/c sometimes thats pretty difficult), particularly Wipe Out. Thanks for the support and input though...afterall, our goal is give the fans songs they can enjoy and get into.

I agree with you about leaving the lights over the crowd off during the game. Plenty of other gyms I've been to, especially Dayton and Cincinnati, do a great job of lighting up the court and darkening the fan sections to make for a great atmosphere. I know SLU's athletic department had inquired about this, but the way the lights are set up in the Scottrade Center make it difficult because rather than being squared straight down over the fans or playing area, most lights point diagonally. When you turn the lights off above the upper bowl on one side, you wind up with a dark section above the lower bowl on the other side. With the exception of the top rows in the upper bowl, it really wouldn't work in Scottrade. Hopefully the designers of the new arena kept this in mind and will be able to make for a better atmosphere.

Also, I am pretty sure that not dimming the lights during player intros is a money-saving thing for the athletic department. Scottrade Center charges SLU a few hundred extra dollars to do that, so they have mostly opted against it. I don't know if Majerus has a hand in the decision at this point or not, or if he cares. It seems like they've only done it for big games in recent years.

I'll dim the lights for 10 bucks. I'm setting up a PayPal account now for those that want to see it happen. Or maybe I'll unsheath the 'Cuda and go work on my 1/4 mile times outside an animal clinic and raise the money myself w/ a Carbondale bake sale. :lol:

At first I balked at the price tag on official light switch flicking, but I'm not surprised really.

The Bad:

- Last night's officiating crew really stinks. I remember those guys from poorly-officiated games last year.

- The atmosphere sucked, as usual. I hope that people will be more inclined to cheer a little more once we move to The Fetz. Imagine 10,000 people all doing the "S-A-INT" cheer instead of 10.

- I did not win the 50/50 raffle.

The Good:

- The Baby Blues have been wearing hot pants/boy shorts this year. I like it.

- The guy who used to do the in-game promotions is gone.

- Only one "correction" for Guy Phillips - he brought his A-game last night.

- Chicken fingers and fries are the best deal at the Scottrade Center.

- Blue Crew seemed decent, pretty good student turnout for a Wed.

The Bad:

- Last night's officiating crew really stinks. I remember those guys from poorly-officiated games last year.

- The atmosphere sucked, as usual. I hope that people will be more inclined to cheer a little more once we move to The Fetz. Imagine 10,000 people all doing the "S-A-INT" cheer instead of 10.

- I did not win the 50/50 raffle.

The Good:

- The Baby Blues have been wearing hot pants/boy shorts this year. I like it.

- The guy who used to do the in-game promotions is gone.

- Only one "correction" for Guy Phillips - he brought his A-game last night.

- Chicken fingers and fries are the best deal at the Scottrade Center.

- Blue Crew seemed decent, pretty good student turnout for a Wed.

I concur w/ all of that, to a T. I had the chicken fingers and fries as well, and actually got full. Fries alone are 5 bucks, and there were actually more fries w/ the 3 large chicken fingers for $8.25. I was worried that a fight was going to break out at the end of the game because the refs weren't "refereeing", only making calls. Detroit's assistant coaches/auto workers obviously just got promoted off the assembly line, because they were applauding their players cheap shots and jersey pulling after they fouled out. Thought Kevin was "gon' raise up and hit some foo!"

the whole place seemed to be in early season form last night...especially in the early going when few band members or blue crew kids got in on the, "and your mama too," call. it picked up a little, but as always, pathetic display of intensity by the blue crew. standing there has never been enough.

the whole place seemed to be in early season form last night...especially in the early going when few band members or blue crew kids got in on the, "and your mama too," call. it picked up a little, but as always, pathetic display of intensity by the blue crew. standing there has never been enough.

I agree that the atmosphere was very weak last night - more so than ever before. Not sure what caused it but no real emotion all night long - the way the game seemed to go.

BE's foul trouble is what took him out of the game - that charge early in the first half turned him down for the rest of the game. PE played as much as he did only because KL was out of tune and TL was - who knows where. BH had a nice game but he still can not catch the ball or dunk a shot while moving forward even an inch.

Given that they played 4 games in 6 days, one could expect them to be a bit off.

The Bad:

I completely agree. Inadvertant whistle? You have to be kidding me. The guy travels, a whistle blows, he hits a three, and it counts? The A-10 has to have the worst officials in college basketball.

while i knew that others were wrong when they were chiming about how much faster style the billikens would play (anyone that had watched utah over the years knows they werent the old unlv or loyola marymount), i have to admit that i expected more half court action than what we saw last night. that was as painful of a win to watch as any we have ever seen at a slu game. i was wondering during the game if gene hackman with his program rolled up had mandated the 5 pass rule as lisch and liddell didnt even look at the basket many many times.

after hearing the stats after the game though, i have wondered if this is all about just forcing the kids to make good decisions and learning to recognize the best opportunities and maximizing their time with the ball in a way that puts your team in a position to win. we took 18 less shots than detroit and shot 56% from the field. we shot 82% from the free throw line. we shot 20 more free throws than detroit. we outrebounded them and even though we had more turnovers, that is mainly due to the poor first half which could also be attributed to lisch sitting out too much of the first half. these are winning stats in any game.

it is hard to stomach kevin and tommie only shooting 9 times collectively in a game, but one has to believe that also helps build depth for the team down the road.

eberhardt definitely was out of sync, but a lot of that i am convinced is playing him at center. we need to play husak and knollmeyer almost exclusively at that spot and let eberhardt play pf and let meyer play the wing. imo the best lineup we can put on the floor is meyer, lisch, liddell, husak and eberhardt. play them 30 minutes a game each and fill in with relphorde, eckerle and knollmeyer mainly and throw a bone to the rest. (sorry polk fans)

i too thought that i would always endorse anything that took guy phillips out of the picture in any way, but it was hard to hear the individuals announce themselves and seemed like a let down. i chuckled though at lisch announcing he was from bellevegas.

eckerle is doing fine. and he is obviously in the game because he knows what is going on. it shows. he knows where to go and what to do. a lot dont. a shame we cant take paul's head and shot and put it on one of the other prototype build freshmen on the team because mark my word, that diminutive size will be a disadvantage down the road. i hope i am wrong as he has done fine and thankfully has been there when we need him.

a pretty good source told me that the coaches really want to sign 3 more players before next summer. new flash we dont have the spots. so more than maguire are likely headed out of town. and btw, i was also told by a different source that eckerle to an academic scholarship and continue as though nothing else changes is not all that easy to accomplish. and if you think about it, consider all the slimey coaches out there that would just lie about academic accomplischments and pad grades to do this, there obviously has to be rules to make that difficult. my point is, no way in hell do i take eckerle off of athletic scholarship, so if you do the math, that pushes more kids out that most of us never thought of needing to leave.

as to officials, sanzere has been a leading billiken screw forever. how in the world that little napoleon ever got to ref a final four is beyond me. i think he is about as bad as they come. the other two were even worse. at least from an officials standpoint we were in midseason form. ironically i thought the majority of the bad calls were for us last night. that is a factor that majerus will bring us that we really never thought about. weak officials will give the hall of famer the benefit of the doubt. we got that going for us.

the whole night didnt flow. it wasnt just the kids that had an "off night" imo. the whole night was about as dull and unappealing as could be. i cant say that i have felt that way much over the years on the night of any win. just weird.

Roy I agree with your comments on Polk. I just don't see what he brings to the table. I know Tommie is in Ricks defensive dog house but it felt to me like whoever Polk guarded scored. They continually took him to the basket and scored over him. I think Polk should be the backup point guard playing 10-12 min, per game. It also appears that Paul is reluctant to put the ball on the floor so we do need a backup point.

while i knew that others were wrong when they were chiming about how much faster style the billikens would play (anyone that had watched utah over the years knows they werent the old unlv or loyola marymount), i have to admit that i expected more half court action than what we saw last night. that was as painful of a win to watch as any we have ever seen at a slu game. i was wondering during the game if gene hackman with his program rolled up had mandated the 5 pass rule as lisch and liddell didnt even look at the basket many many times.

after hearing the stats after the game though, i have wondered if this is all about just forcing the kids to make good decisions and learning to recognize the best opportunities and maximizing their time with the ball in a way that puts your team in a position to win. we took 18 less shots than detroit and shot 56% from the field. we shot 82% from the free throw line. we shot 20 more free throws than detroit. we outrebounded them and even though we had more turnovers, that is mainly due to the poor first half which could also be attributed to lisch sitting out too much of the first half. these are winning stats in any game.

it is hard to stomach kevin and tommie only shooting 9 times collectively in a game, but one has to believe that also helps build depth for the team down the road.

eberhardt definitely was out of sync, but a lot of that i am convinced is playing him at center. we need to play husak and knollmeyer almost exclusively at that spot and let eberhardt play pf and let meyer play the wing. imo the best lineup we can put on the floor is meyer, lisch, liddell, husak and eberhardt. play them 30 minutes a game each and fill in with relphorde, eckerle and knollmeyer mainly and throw a bone to the rest. (sorry polk fans)

i too thought that i would always endorse anything that took guy phillips out of the picture in any way, but it was hard to hear the individuals announce themselves and seemed like a let down. i chuckled though at lisch announcing he was from bellevegas.

eckerle is doing fine. and he is obviously in the game because he knows what is going on. it shows. he knows where to go and what to do. a lot dont. a shame we cant take paul's head and shot and put it on one of the other prototype build freshmen on the team because mark my word, that diminutive size will be a disadvantage down the road. i hope i am wrong as he has done fine and thankfully has been there when we need him.

a pretty good source told me that the coaches really want to sign 3 more players before next summer. new flash we dont have the spots. so more than maguire are likely headed out of town. and btw, i was also told by a different source that eckerle to an academic scholarship and continue as though nothing else changes is not all that easy to accomplish. and if you think about it, consider all the slimey coaches out there that would just lie about academic accomplischments and pad grades to do this, there obviously has to be rules to make that difficult. my point is, no way in hell do i take eckerle off of athletic scholarship, so if you do the math, that pushes more kids out that most of us never thought of needing to leave.

as to officials, sanzere has been a leading billiken screw forever. how in the world that little napoleon ever got to ref a final four is beyond me. i think he is about as bad as they come. the other two were even worse. at least from an officials standpoint we were in midseason form. ironically i thought the majority of the bad calls were for us last night. that is a factor that majerus will bring us that we really never thought about. weak officials will give the hall of famer the benefit of the doubt. we got that going for us.

the whole night didnt flow. it wasnt just the kids that had an "off night" imo. the whole night was about as dull and unappealing as could be. i cant say that i have felt that way much over the years on the night of any win. just weird.

Sums up my night. I just wanted to go home the second the final buzzer sounded. The ONLY thing to feel good about was Husak. I yelled at the refs a few times and cheered at the 3 point plays, but I just was not into that game and I wasn't the only one. That was just a bad humpday game if I've ever seen one. I'll have to miss the Furman game as I have a wedding at 7 as well (bizarre). Oh well.

thetorch where did you play college ball, probably no where. This is a new coach with a new system, everybody's saying how good of a coach Majerus is, I dont see it anybody can run around and set screens you dont have to have talent to do that. Majuerus doesn't want any fancy stuff just plain basketball. Tommie played well his first two years now all of a sudden he's not, its not Tommie it's the coach. I'd rather have Sodie.

thetorch where did you play college ball, probably no where. This is a new coach with a new system, everybody's saying how good of a coach Majerus is, I dont see it anybody can run around and set screens you dont have to have talent to do that. Majuerus doesn't want any fancy stuff just plain basketball. Tommie played well his first two years now all of a sudden he's not, its not Tommie it's the coach. I'd rather have Sodie.

uh oh, not good

and you are coaching where?