Harrellson

davidlee

sorry, but you are wrong. i wrote that brad asked him to wait to sign from day one of harrelson gate. that is nothing new. and pardon me if i dont include him in the stud list just yet. scoring 20 vs the first juco center he came up against isnt necessarily proof he is about to become wes unseld yet.

i am amused that you include falker in your list. it has always been widely known that falker told romar his jr year in high school thanks but no thanks. but whatever made up story fits your battle fine.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...alkner+dispatch

According to the Post and the horses mouth we didn't recruit him...but according to Roy its something else. Who should I believe?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...alkner+dispatch

According to the Post and the horses mouth we didn't recruit him...but according to Roy its something else. Who should I believe?

romar told us. if you want to call romar a liar. fine with me. pardon me if i trust lorenzo.

i know the news democrat sports guys. trust me they asked about slu. and even if they didnt, so you are saying that majerus then isnt interested. hmmm. would think he was since he is such a stud.

I'm not saying anything because i don't know. You said "his" list excluded SLU and he had "bigger aspirations". That might be true, but one is hard pressed to see that from the face of the story you linked.

I'm not saying anything because i don't know. You said "his" list excluded SLU and he had "bigger aspirations". That might be true, but one is hard pressed to see that from the face of the story you linked.

ok, where do you suppose the news democrat got that list? i am supposing harrelson.

regardless, if you all want to beleive he is coming to slu, knock yourselves out.

ok, where do you suppose the news democrat got that list? i am supposing harrelson.

regardless, if you all want to beleive he is coming to slu, knock yourselves out.

Maybe they got it from the coach who is trying to market the JUCO. Makes sense to me. Maybe they got it from Harrellson, makes sense to me too. Basically, you're assuming he's not interested in SLU. Maybe that's true, maybe not. But i think your proof is hardly definitive.

I don't know if he's coming to SLU or not and at this point I'll trust RM to get the best guys for the program. It remains that JH would have helped SLU this year.

Maybe they got it from the coach who is trying to market the JUCO. Makes sense to me. Maybe they got it from Harrellson, makes sense to me too. Basically, you're assuming he's not interested in SLU. Maybe that's true, maybe not. But i think your proof is hardly definitive.

I don't know if he's coming to SLU or not and at this point I'll trust RM to get the best guys for the program. It remains that JH would have helped SLU this year.

well let me know when you have proof he has slu on his current list and i was wrong. good luck.

well let me know when you have proof he has slu on his current list and i was wrong. good luck.

You're the one that declared that he is no longer interested in SLU based on some mysterious list. When asked about this list, you provide us with something that didn't come from JH and only tangentially supported your statement.

Here is proof (the veracity of which you can be the judge) that SLU is on his current list:

"Q: Do you have any top choices as far as schools after Junior College?

A: Yeah my top 5 choices are: Indiana, Mizzou, SLU, Minnesota, and Missouri State. That is not how I rank them."

- Josh Harrellson, September 2, 2007 - from stlhoopsinsider.com

from the story you linked:

"Harrelson is the real deal. Agile for his size (285 pounds), the St. Charles, Mo., native is being looked at by West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Indiana and Ohio State."

The story states that is a list of schools looking at him, not "his" list.

moy is right about this. The article just mentions some schools that are looking at him, which doesn't necessarily mean that he has offers from those schools either. And it's not clear how much interest Harrelson has in those schools, except Indiana - he was did express interest in them along with SLU and others in an earlier interview.

Lists change, so maybe we're not on his list any more, but at this point there is no evidence saying Harrelson doesn't have interest in SLU. What we do know is that two months ago Harrelson expressed interest in SLU. If anybody has knowledge verifying that we are no longer an option, then offer it up. If not, quit trying to spin the situation to suit your agenda.

Guest BillikenReport

Great thread here. I've been resisting the urge to post, but I have to add my two cents.

I've heard through the grapevine that Rick Majerus likes Harrellson's game.

Harrellson had a couple opportunities to play against SLU players this summer and by all indications fared well — against Ian, Bryce and Knollmeyer. I only had one chance to see Harrellson matched up against those guys, but he held his own and showed he can play at that level. Of course it was the summer and not an Atlantic 10 game, but the games were competitive and people were playing hard.

Once reason there hasn't been much talk about Harrellson and recruiting is because schools were limited in what they could do with him, because he was still under the restrictions of his letter-of-intent to Western Illinois. Last I heard, from Harrellson's JUCO coach, was that it was still up in the air whether Harrellson would have to spend one or two years at SWIC because he wasn't released from his letter. I don't know the specific rule, but if he isn't released from the letter he would have to spend two years at a JUCO before moving on to a D-1 school.

The relationship between Majerus and SWIC appears to be a good one. Majerus even told the SWIC coaches about a player that the SWIC coaches then recruited and got into the school.

The list in the Belleville N-D about the schools recruiting Harrellson would seem to me to be from one of the SWIC coaches. Harrellson wasn't quoted anywhere else in that story, which leads me to think he wasn't the one to give the writer the list. Everything else I have heard and read would indicate Harrellson is interested in SLU.

When Harrellson was looking at getting out of his loi to Western, in part because it looked like WIU would fire its coach, he expressed interest in SLU. At that time, I was told by very good sources that Soderberg still wouldn't be interested in Harrellson playing at SLU. I don't know Brad's reasons. Harrellson at times has exhibited knucklehead behavior, which may be the reason, but the Billikens obviously had a need for a big body who could get some things done in the post.

Since Majerus got the job, I've considered Harrellson to be the kind of prospect RM could really do something with. If Harrellson bought in and worked hard, he could be a very productive college player and play pro ball overseas later on. If Harrellson doesn't buy in and do the work, he wouldn't last at SLU. (This will happen to kids during RM's tenure.)

Harrellson could have helped the Billikens this year. If you haven't noticed, there are only two players on the roster his size or bigger. I wouldn't say he could start for this team, but if you asked a group of college coaches who they'd rather have — Harrellson or Knollmeyer — I think you'd get a lot of votes for Harrellson.

As far as the '08 recruiting class making Harrellson insignificant, again I don't agree with that. Harrellson would be a great fit with SLU's incoming class. As good of prospects as Brett Thompson and Willie Reed are, there is no guarantee that they are going to be physically and mentally ready to contribute right away next year. Harrellson could basically replace Bryce on the roster, and you'd have him, Barry Eberhardt, Knollmeyer, Thompson, Reed and Brian Conklin fighting for minutes at the power forward and center spots (and of course BE would be in line for significant minutes at the 4). In that group, Harrellson might be the second-most physical player on the list behind BE, or third behind Knollmeyer.

So before everybody writes off Harrellson, please remember that he very well could be a Billiken in a year or two. Or he could be contributing somewhere in the Big Ten or Big 12 or Missouri Valley Conference.

- Nate

Good post Nate. The interesting thing I got from the article is that he is up to an agile 285lbs from his weight of 265 during his senior season. That's some imposing presence. He expressed interest in Indiana. Indiana did get Stemler from SWIC a couple of years ago. Is Sampson's relationship with SWIC stronger than Majerus' and if so does it have any affect on Harrellson?

Great thread here. I've been resisting the urge to post, but I have to add my two cents.

I've heard through the grapevine that Rick Majerus likes Harrellson's game.

Harrellson had a couple opportunities to play against SLU players this summer and by all indications fared well — against Ian, Bryce and Knollmeyer. I only had one chance to see Harrellson matched up against those guys, but he held his own and showed he can play at that level. Of course it was the summer and not an Atlantic 10 game, but the games were competitive and people were playing hard.

Once reason there hasn't been much talk about Harrellson and recruiting is because schools were limited in what they could do with him, because he was still under the restrictions of his letter-of-intent to Western Illinois. Last I heard, from Harrellson's JUCO coach, was that it was still up in the air whether Harrellson would have to spend one or two years at SWIC because he wasn't released from his letter. I don't know the specific rule, but if he isn't released from the letter he would have to spend two years at a JUCO before moving on to a D-1 school.

The relationship between Majerus and SWIC appears to be a good one. Majerus even told the SWIC coaches about a player that the SWIC coaches then recruited and got into the school.

The list in the Belleville N-D about the schools recruiting Harrellson would seem to me to be from one of the SWIC coaches. Harrellson wasn't quoted anywhere else in that story, which leads me to think he wasn't the one to give the writer the list. Everything else I have heard and read would indicate Harrellson is interested in SLU.

When Harrellson was looking at getting out of his loi to Western, in part because it looked like WIU would fire its coach, he expressed interest in SLU. At that time, I was told by very good sources that Soderberg still wouldn't be interested in Harrellson playing at SLU. I don't know Brad's reasons. Harrellson at times has exhibited knucklehead behavior, which may be the reason, but the Billikens obviously had a need for a big body who could get some things done in the post.

Since Majerus got the job, I've considered Harrellson to be the kind of prospect RM could really do something with. If Harrellson bought in and worked hard, he could be a very productive college player and play pro ball overseas later on. If Harrellson doesn't buy in and do the work, he wouldn't last at SLU. (This will happen to kids during RM's tenure.)

Harrellson could have helped the Billikens this year. If you haven't noticed, there are only two players on the roster his size or bigger. I wouldn't say he could start for this team, but if you asked a group of college coaches who they'd rather have — Harrellson or Knollmeyer — I think you'd get a lot of votes for Harrellson.

As far as the '08 recruiting class making Harrellson insignificant, again I don't agree with that. Harrellson would be a great fit with SLU's incoming class. As good of prospects as Brett Thompson and Willie Reed are, there is no guarantee that they are going to be physically and mentally ready to contribute right away next year. Harrellson could basically replace Bryce on the roster, and you'd have him, Barry Eberhardt, Knollmeyer, Thompson, Reed and Brian Conklin fighting for minutes at the power forward and center spots (and of course BE would be in line for significant minutes at the 4). In that group, Harrellson might be the second-most physical player on the list behind BE, or third behind Knollmeyer.

So before everybody writes off Harrellson, please remember that he very well could be a Billiken in a year or two. Or he could be contributing somewhere in the Big Ten or Big 12 or Missouri Valley Conference.

- Nate

Nate if he can become eligble for next season then I could see maybe bringing him in, maybe. I just think it makes more sense to bring in a more polished second year JUCO big. I didn't see him over the summer, but last time I saw him his game was still pretty raw.

I really changed my opinion on him when I found out about his late arrival to playing basketball and to weight training. I just don't believe his game is were it needs to be to play a major role right now. I do think his upside is probably much higher than Knollmeyer's.

Guest BillikenReport

I just think it makes more sense to bring in a more polished second year JUCO big.

I agree with this.

Next year's squad has a chance to make the NCAA tournament, with Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch and Barry Eberhardt as seniors.

If you can get an experienced JUCO center (or a bigger power forward), you have to do it. But every school in the country will be looking to add that player, so it won't be easy.

- Nate

I hope he gets his release. He could give somebody 3 good years at center. He will get a good test Wednesday at Mineral Area CC with former Ole Miss commit 6'9 Marquis Young, Althoff, Belleville East and Belleville West star 6'6 Jeremy Felton, and Belleville East forward 6'7 Eric McCrary. I'm interested in his defense against these 3 players who play distinctly different styles. Should be a good game.

Roy, why don't you just ask volunteer coach Rusty Lisch and get his permission to post the answer and end the entire argument?

I hope he gets his release. He could give somebody 3 good years at center. He will get a good test Wednesday at Mineral Area CC with former Ole Miss commit 6'9 Marquis Young, Althoff, Belleville East and Belleville West star 6'6 Jeremy Felton, and Belleville East forward 6'7 Eric McCrary. I'm interested in his defense against these 3 players who play distinctly different styles. Should be a good game.

McCrary plays the wing and is strictly a shooter. Harrellson will probably not be guarding him while on the court.