St. Louis Recruiting

tr_hoops

I have watched, read and contributed to this board for some time and I am confused about something. Rick Majerus has offered two scholarships to St. ouis players, Tyler Griffey and Bryant Allen. I hear a lot of talk about Griffey, and rightfully so the kid can flat out play. I have been to a couple of practices and I can tell you Tyler would bloom in Majerus' system. The way they run everything through the 3/4 and let that person be a playmaker it is perfect for Griffey's game. But my question is why doesn't anyone talk about Bryant Allen. He is a tough guard that has averaged 18 points 7 boards and 4 steals and assists for his freshman and sophomore year and more importantly Majerus thinks he is a player who can make a difference at SLU. But no one on here talks about him or thinks of him as a priority local recruit for the 09 class. What is the deal is Majerus off on this offer or is this a kid we simply don't want at SLU? I am just curious.

Guest BillikenReport

Bryant Allen could be very good for the Billikens.

I see him as a combination of Kevin Lisch and Dwayne Polk, with the best qualities of both.

- Nate

I have watched, read and contributed to this board for some time and I am confused about something. Rick Majerus has offered two scholarships to St. ouis players, Tyler Griffey and Bryant Allen. I hear a lot of talk about Griffey, and rightfully so the kid can flat out play. I have been to a couple of practices and I can tell you Tyler would bloom in Majerus' system. The way they run everything through the 3/4 and let that person be a playmaker it is perfect for Griffey's game. But my question is why doesn't anyone talk about Bryant Allen. He is a tough guard that has averaged 18 points 7 boards and 4 steals and assists for his freshman and sophomore year and more importantly Majerus thinks he is a player who can make a difference at SLU. But no one on here talks about him or thinks of him as a priority local recruit for the 09 class. What is the deal is Majerus off on this offer or is this a kid we simply don't want at SLU? I am just curious.

Aside from Griffey, I think he's the most talked about recruit in 09' on this board. Based on what Nate and others on this board have said, I think everybody here is excited about the prospects of getting him.

you must not read here regularly. allen, anderson and griffey have always been the most talked about players at billikens.com for the class of 09.

of course you are the same guy that seems to think that nick evans is going to be some sort of kevin durrant player at siu since he fits the siu system and thompson doesnt.

you must not read here regularly. allen, anderson and griffey have always been the most talked about players at billikens.com for the class of 09.

of course you are the same guy that seems to think that nick evans is going to be some sort of kevin durrant player at siu since he fits the siu system and thompson doesnt.

I don't know anything about Nick Evans so I have never made a comment about him, and that is the truth. If you can find an instance where I have said something about him I will apologize to you, but I am pretty sure I have never said anything about him.

As far as Brett Thompson there is nobody in St. Louis who knows his game or him better than me. So when I tell you that while Southern Illinois recruited him and while he has been to their open gyms a few times he has never received an offer from them you best believe that he has never received an offer from them. Since you seem to know so much why don't you tell me what the best parts of his game are and why he fits so nicely into what Southern Illinois does you can also tell me what schools have offered him too.

Brett Thompson will be a billiken and a fine one at that. I know everyone on this board would be ecstatic if Allen gave the Billikens a verbal. The way his game is described has me very excited. I dont know where you got the info of us not thinking he will be a great recruit. Griffey just gets more national attention hence his name is mentioned more often, plus his dad posts on this site.

Bryant Allen could be very good for the Billikens.

I see him as a combination of Kevin Lisch and Dwayne Polk, with the best qualities of both.

- Nate

Nate, I'm not trying to be a smart @$$, but exactly what are the best qualities of DP that we would want Allen to have? If you combined the best of KL & TL III, I would be more excited about Allen becoming a Billiken.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, I'm not trying to be a smart @$$, but exactly what are the best qualities of DP that we would want Allen to have? If you combined the best of KL & TL III, I would be more excited about Allen becoming a Billiken.

Speed, quickness and athleticism.

- Nate

I would assume from this description that Bryant Allen has a killer jump shot, good court vision, plays tight defense, runs a 4.4 40 and can fit in the floorboard of a '93 Geo Metro®.

Guest BillikenReport

The best qualities of Dwayne are his speed and pure athleticism. If you can combine that with Kevin's shooting ability and his "get after it" mentality, what a billiken he could become. Im intrigued to see him play this year.

That's why I've been saying that about Allen.

Allen can really shoot it and wants to be a lock-down defender.

- Nate

That's why I've been saying that about Allen.

Allen can really shoot it and wants to be a lock-down defender.

- Nate

Nate, what are SLU chances of getting him? What other schools are after him? Im assuming he will have a monster junior and the johnny come lately will be all over him.

I don't know anything about Nick Evans so I have never made a comment about him, and that is the truth. If you can find an instance where I have said something about him I will apologize to you, but I am pretty sure I have never said anything about him.

As far as Brett Thompson there is nobody in St. Louis who knows his game or him better than me. So when I tell you that while Southern Illinois recruited him and while he has been to their open gyms a few times he has never received an offer from them you best believe that he has never received an offer from them. Since you seem to know so much why don't you tell me what the best parts of his game are and why he fits so nicely into what Southern Illinois does you can also tell me what schools have offered him too.

all i know is that nick evans is less mobile and effective than thompson. so that is why i took offense to your statement. if they would take evans, i can assure you they would have killed to take thompson. my sources tell me that thompson told siu early on thanks but no thanks and lowery respected that. it had nothing to do with lowery not wanting thompson.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, what are SLU chances of getting him? What other schools are after him? Im assuming he will have a monster junior and the johnny come lately will be all over him.

That's a good question.

Last time I talked with him, which was right after he got the offer from SLU, he only had two offers (the other being Missouri State).

There are a lot of teams interested, but I could see his recruitment playing out a lot like Femi John's, who had a couple offers before his junior year but probably didn't get the bigger offers he thought he might after his junior season.

- Nate

Some pretty sick stats from last year, as a SOPHOMORE... Seems like a pretty good all-around game, although Maplewood must play hectic defense for some easy scores. They averaged almost 21 steals a game as a team.

G 25

Pts 589

PPG 23.6

FGM 229

FGA 432

FG% 53.01

2FG 169

2FA 292

2F% 57.88

3FG 60

3FA 140

3F% 42.86

FTA 71

FTM 88

FT% 80.7

Ast 92

APG 3.68

Stl 123

SPG 4.92

Reb 193

RPG 7.7

Blk 24

BPG 0.96

I would assume from this description that Bryant Allen has a killer jump shot, good court vision, plays tight defense, runs a 4.4 40 and can fit in the floorboard of a '93 Geo Metro®.

All of the above, plus great ballhandling, he's a ambidextrous, and I think a lefty, and can play both guard spots equally as well. He averaged 24ppg last season and 7 or 8 rebs, 3 or 4 assists and steals. He's a force and will be heavily recruited. It was said that Chris Lowery came to see him play 3 times last year.

Guest BillikenReport

Some pretty sick stats from last year, as a SOPHOMORE... Seems like a pretty good all-around game, although Maplewood must play hectic defense for some easy scores. They averaged almost 21 steals a game as a team.

Some of the stats are a little misleading, because they play some poor competition, but the kid can play.

- Nate

Maplewood's competition is pretty horrendous. For his star player's sake I hope Mr. Frazier can beef up the schedule a little this year. Also I hope he gives the new staff a chance, since he's Bryant's coach during the high school season and during the summer. Corey was one of the guys that felt alienated when Brad chose to deal directly with the familes of recruits when he was here.

Maplewood's competition is pretty horrendous. For his star player's sake I hope Mr. Frazier can beef up the schedule a little this year. Also I hope he gives the new staff a chance, since he's Bryant's coach during the high school season and during the summer. Corey was one of the guys that felt alienated when Brad chose to deal directly with the familes of recruits when he was here.

Furhtermore Corey was not alienated because of how Brad recruited because Brad did use the AAU coaches in his recruiting. You must also remember that one of his best friends was also on the coaching staff at the time. So I don't know where you got that from. He recommended to SLU to all three of the kids that were offered by SLU. They chose other avenues.

There is only so much Maplewood can do about their competition seeing as they are a small class in a horrible conference. They have added the Poplar Bluff Showdown which features national teams as well as Sikeston, Poplar Bluff and another SEMO team and they are also in the Webster Groves tournament in which they went 2-1 in losing to Lindbergh on a shot at the buzzer. That is why the summer is so important for Bryant Allen, and he most defnitely represents in the summer.

I honestly don't understand your perception that SLU fans, particularly the ones on this board, don't want Allen. Can you show us any posts that indicate this or are you just assuming that because there is more chatter agout TG (at least partially due to him being on SLU's radar for 2-3 years and the fact his dad posts here on occasion) that somehow that indicates SLU fans don't want him?

Here are some of the threads I've found dealing with Allen on this board. Seems pretty positive to me.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...14&hl=allen

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...33&hl=allen

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...59&hl=allen

Also, you say you've contriubted to this board for some time yet you only have 21 posts. Are you Orange Julius?

I honestly don't understand your perception that SLU fans, particularly the ones on this board, don't want Allen. Can you show us any posts that indicate this or are you just assuming that because there is more chatter agout TG (at least partially due to him being on SLU's radar for 2-3 years and the fact his dad posts here on occasion) that somehow that indicates SLU fans don't want him?

Here are some of the threads I've found dealing with Allen on this board. Seems pretty positive to me.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...14&hl=allen

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...33&hl=allen

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...59&hl=allen

Also, you say you've contriubted to this board for some time yet you only have 21 posts. Are you Orange Julius?

I didn't say there was any negative chatte about Bryant but I just didn't think there was enough chatter. But you guys have made some good points as far as Griffey being on the radar since he was 8th Grade and his dad posting on here. Also Bryant pretty much busted out this year. I know some other schools have been out to see Bryant a lot more and maybe since I am a fan I would like to see a lot more attention thrown his way.

I didn't realize I have only posted 21 times, I read the board everyday at least twice a day and no I am not Orange Julius, even though I could go for one right now...lol.

OJ left... he is in West Bend or Lafayette IN now.. forgot which one though... I guess he could still post occasionally though.

I'm curious as to how my posting here occasionally... factors in to the SLU fans perceptions of TG? Not sure I follow that logic. I'm a bball fan. I would post here occasionally even if TG did not play ball. I did play and love the game.

If Bryant Allen had a family member post here would that make him a better or more attractive recruit?

I'm very careful to stay away from posting my feelings on other players and anything that would get back to TG. I don't really mention TG either for that matter. (except in this post) So far.. I've been a pretty good boy. Now I have gotten into it on a couple fishing forums from time to time.. lol... I even do some bragging on those... but figure it's pretty harmless on a fishing forum? :P:P Yea I bite my tongue some and when TG is gone... I can get on here and let everyone know how I feel... boy I can't wait for those days. :lol::lol:

Cg

OJ left... he is in West Bend or Lafayette IN now.. forgot which one though... I guess he could still post occasionally though.

I'm curious as to how my posting here occasionally... factors in to the SLU fans perceptions of TG? Not sure I follow that logic. I'm a bball fan. I would post here occasionally even if TG did not play ball. I did play and love the game.

If Bryant Allen had a family member post here would that make him a better or more attractive recruit?

I'm very careful to stay away from posting my feelings on other players and anything that would get back to TG. I don't really mention TG either for that matter. (except in this post) So far.. I've been a pretty good boy. Now I have gotten into on a couple fishing forums from time to time.. lol... I even do some bragging on those... but figure it's pretty harmless on a fishing forum? :P:P Yea I bite my tongue some and when TG is gone... I can get on here and let everyone know how I feel... boy I can't wait for those days. :lol::lol:

Cg

Well lets hope those days are about 5 years away.

I don't think anyone is knocking you being on here, but there is no denying you have a different perspective on the recruiting scene than any of us as we don't have nationally ranked kids. I think you do a great job of being relevent, but staying out of the fray.

When you post here we feel like you are a member of our community ... we know you, and Tyler is your kid so the perception that we want him here more is easy to understand.