SLU recruits in action on Saturday

Guest BillikenReport

Guest BillikenReport

I've been told that SLU recruits Femi John and Willie Reed will be participating in the Battle for the Rankings High School Basketball Showcase on Saturday (Sept. 8) at Forest Park (5600 Oakland Ave, St. Louis, MO).

I don't know what times those guys will be playing. The event is divided up into four teams per age group and then each team will play three games.

Cost of admission is supposed to be $2 ... or free. I don't know for sure.

You can go to www.rameybasketball.com for more info.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

I've been told that SLU recruits Femi John and Willie Reed will be participating in the Battle for the Rankings High School Basketball Showcase on Saturday (Sept. 8) at Forest Park (5600 Oakland Ave, St. Louis, MO).

Here is a link for more info: http://www.rameybasketball.moonfruit.com/

Click where is says "2008 rosters" and you'll find rosters and times that those teams will play.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

what was your opinion on jerome jones nate? do you think he is a possible recruit for SLU?

My opinion of Jones definitely improved yesterday. He was very active and flying around all over. He and Willie Reed probably had more dunks than anybody in the building. Normally, I don't place much emphasis on dunks, but in Jerome's case they were coming off baseline drives and going right at defenders — not just cherry-picking and getting easy ones in transition.

The problem with Jones is that he needs to improve his perimeter shooting. Right now, he's a power forward in a shooting guard's body. He's a lot like Roy favorite Jeremy Felton, similar body and game but maybe two inches shorter. Jones was good enough to get selected for the Hoop Jamboree, but he needs to work on his perimeter game (or grow a couple more inches) before going to college.

I expect him to have a huge season for Miller Career Academy, because he won't really play anybody who can match him physically at that level. Staci Smith looked good yesterday too. He can really shoot it.

As for Jones and SLU, I don't think he's the kind of player they will be targeting. The Billikens are recruiting 6-10, 6-11 and 7-foot guys in the post. Jones is too much of a tweener at this point. But Jones could be a nice Missouri Valley player with his current skill set.

- Nate