Billiken Midnight Madness

if i recall correctly, soderberg and cheryl did not want to do the billiken madness thing as well. but our own bluecrewprez basically willed it to happen. this is something that our current blue crew likely needs to be on again. the tough part is that cheryl isnt there anymore and the reported majerus apprehension will make this a tough sell. i too enjoyed both years it was put on. imo it was a success and the fans deserve it.

When we talked to Majerus about Billiken Madness after the press conference back in April, he said that he wasn't a fan of those Midnight Madness events and didn't think we'd do it again...but he did say that he would be willing to do something during an afternoon, like a team/coaches meet-and-greet event and that he would bring sausages down from Wisconsin for it. I wouldn't mind seeing just one more Billiken Madness like we did in the past--just to see how it would go with Majerus at the helm--but I think that having something where people can socialize more with the players/coaches, BBQ, etc would be a lot of fun too. It would most definitely have to be partly funded by the AD, b/c an event like that would be a lot more expensive than our Billiken Madnesses in the past. I am 110% confident that Becca (the new Prez) and the rest of the Blue Crew E-Board will put something amazing together to kick off the season right. :)

if i recall correctly, soderberg and cheryl did not want to do the billiken madness thing as well. but our own bluecrewprez basically willed it to happen. this is something that our current blue crew likely needs to be on again. the tough part is that cheryl isnt there anymore and the reported majerus apprehension will make this a tough sell. i too enjoyed both years it was put on. imo it was a success and the fans deserve it.

It was done more than twice. I know Grawer did it.

I, for one, don't really care what time they do something like that.

It is kind of a bummer that practices will be closed.

we should have a poll-afternoon or midnight

We need an opening day of practise

See how the new players fit

See who is asserting themselves as floor leaders

See the new coaches and which size players they pay attention to

Why couldn't the Blue Crew, with the financial help and resources of Billikens.com members, put together a "Meet the players" Bar-B-Que on a weekend before the season starts?

We could hold it over at Tower Grove park, using one of their pavillions.

That would be great, everything I've ever done over at Tower Grove has been a success and a lot of fun. Upper crust Billiken Club members could play in a softball game against Rick & Co. while everyone else drank themselves stupid and shot brat out their nose.

it is my guess that we couldnt have any formal "meet the players" events without school approval especially if food and beverages are involved. the ncaa have likely investigated schools for providing less than a hot dog and a bud select for a player.

now if you are talking about a group meeting and just talking but no players around, that is fine. woolard's AD used to do just that each fall at various locations.

my point was simply that it is likely not legal period. most of us are considered "boosters" by the ncaa and it is strictly defined what can or cannot go on between boosters and student athletes by the ncaa.

i would guess that a gathering could be organized between fans and the athletic dept and coaches (btw, that sounds like a billiken club meeting) but the players involvement would be closely monitored by the athletic dept.

I think the simplest thing to do (if posters wanted to contribute to such an event) would be to send the Billiken Club donations and earmark them for the event. Or someone bundle the donations, and then give it to SLU as one and say this is for this event.

it is disappointing that there have been very little directed towards the small time boosters and casual fan base since the majerus hiring. i am sure there has been much receptionwise for the big dogs, but i have long wondered why there is not an effort to cultivate the smaller booster as well.

i doubt anyone goes from zero support towards an athletic department to subsidizing a new coach's salary or donating $12m to build an arena. generate the excitement and it would seem the added attention will turn to money. what am i missing?

of course the fact we more or less havent had an athletic director since soderberg was fired might have something to do with that.

I heard they will still have open practice

innnnnnnnntrrrristttttiiiiiiiiiing (devious finger tapping in front of face)

i find it humorous that your son is going to be a junior, but you are a freshman here...

well not that humorous... but kind of like :blink:

innnnnnnnntrrrristttttiiiiiiiiiing (devious finger tapping in front of face)

i find it humorous that your son is going to be a junior, but you are a freshman here...

well not that humorous... but kind of like :blink:

:lol: