What if................

RM can't convince SS/JP/JB/TG/KM to come to SLU instead of one of the BCS boys that they will get offers from? What will be the tone of this Board then?

I am excited about the arrival of RM and what he can mean for our Bills, but what if all the meetings and player visits don't translate into recruiting victories?

What got me thinking about this half-empty thought was the failure to get a verbal from KM after his visit even though we were told that RM & KM have known each other for a long time.

I think Rick is making all the right moves-player visits/meetings w/ coaches/attending grade school tourneys etc., but where I work the saying at salary time is you get paid for results NOT activities or effort.

Again, I'm not predicting failure just putting out a word of caution.

KM not committing at his visit has me a bit worried also. It makes it seem that he is holding out for something bigger(Marquette). We are his number one choice for now but him leaving st. louis without committing is a bit troubling. As far as Suggs goes, he hasnt really told anybody anything so that is totally up in the air if you ask me. Not getting a verbal from Suggs after his second visit is not surprising. You are right, the bottom line is that we need results. Getting BT is a pretty good start.

Well he can still get some local guys that want to come like Femi John and Josh Harrellson. Probably Kyle Kirk too. 08 is loaded and even if you dont get the big boys, the second tier talent is equal to the first tier area talent in most years. The Bills are in good shape.

>I understand what you are saying but we didnt shell out a

>cool million per year for a guy who is going to sign second

>tier area players.

But we hired him late and he's already landed a top 100 guy who is a CENTER, so he's already earned his money for the class of 2008, no matter who else he signs. In 2009, if he's still signing mostly 2nd tier guys, then you can have a legitimate gripe.

not getting verbals in may doesnt bother me. now once high school is out, the rules change in contact and it opens things up a bit. so the summer becomes vital.

if by the end of august our verbals are still brett thompson, then we should be asking what's up. personally i would be shocked if that is the case.

Interesting that some who were willing to give BS a six year of treading water now want to ask the "what if" questions as it relates to the results after the first 45 days. RM has accomplished more in 45 days then the former staff did in 5+ years.

First, the unofficial visit you refer to would never have happened under the old regime. Secondly, RM must be measured by his results not the "what if" questions. Third, I am not sure how anyone can question RM based upon his past history.

BS never had the benifit of pointing to past history results for comfort but RM's history is above reproach.

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

The art of recruiting at our level involves quite a bit of strategy . When to you tell the tier 1 kid if he doesn't take youe offer by Friday you can't guarentee him you'll have a scholarship available. If he doesn't take it offer the tier 2 kid. When and how you do that may determine your success as much as your ability to sell the program. I have faith RM knows how to play the game.

i have no problem with him being sure. it bothers me more when kids are committing via third parties and no formal face to face contact.

if we do our job, it will only be a more solid committal when it comes.

what are you talking about?

i am in no way questioning majerus.

and i in no way am comparing majerus to soderberg. there indeed is no comparison. you need to get over your hardon for soderberg and move on. you are reading into comments things that are definitely not there.

BROY,

Why so touchy? I know you don't like starting over but geez....

My response was not directed at you rather at the "what if" question being asked. I just happened to take the easiet way to respond and replied under your last reply. I will be careful next time.

you indeed did respond to my post so it was natural to assume such. however your answer now makes sense as it didnt coincide with me.

btw, just to remind you......again.......during the majerus hiring period, i repeatedly stated that hiring majerus would be a homerun and the ONLY choice that would not be considered starting over.

Actually I find the question rather silly. Now in regards to kids verbally after visits, anybody who knows anything about recruiting knows that all the kids coaches tell them not to committ when they make their visits. Wait until you get home and think about if for a few days is what they tell them. Some kids listen and some don't - ie. Harrelson. He is in the fix he is in because he did not listen to his h.s. coach. I talked with someone who has knowledge of his situation the other day and was told that his coach begged him not to committ to Western IL but to wait and sign in the spring with them or whoever else. The kid apparently does not get alot of direction from home so the coach was afraid he would do something he regretted. Well low and behold he now regrets it. By the way, Harrelson's hope was to come to SLU if he could have gotten out of his LOI - this was confirmed.

cheeseman said about josh harrelson:

"By the way, Harrelson's hope was to come to SLU if he could have gotten out of his LOI - this was confirmed."

i was told third hand by a nice source over the weekend that majerus and jay harrington, the swic coach are old friends that served on a a committee together a few years back.

harrington's swic team next year is apparently loaded and will have about 8 or 9 division one prospects. someone more in the know should be able to comment directly on the team besides harrelson and kirk. however, it likely isnt a coincidence that harrelson is now under the watchful eye of a majerus friend.

Good and I'd love to land him in the 2008 class and put him next to Thompson. He's qualified, so he can transfer after next year, unless Western IL can somehow prevent it as a condition of him not being released. Can they?

I seem to remember a quote of him saying that "I can't wait until my parents can visit SLU with me. This tells me he was by himself or will a HS or AAU coach on his visit. Hopefully when his parents visit we will get the commit.