SIU fans now claim Thompson not good enough for SIU

>No one can sign until Fall of '07, but SIU does have verbals

>from Roundtree, Booker and someone else it sounds like.

SIU has 2008 verbals from Roundtree, Booker, Chris Parrish (Riverside, IL) and Kevin Dillard (Homewood, IL).

They also have 2 2007 post players. Nick Evans a 6-11 player out of Carbondale who will redshirt and not be available until 2008 and Carlton Fay, the Illinois Class A player of the year. They apparently backed off of Thompson once Evans and Fay signed but still recruited him hard. They will be fine without him.

SLU got a good recruit, I can't wait to see him get dominated by Fay.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Good. SIU is in for a very rude awakening in the very near

>future. And you can see the denial and fear, disguised as

>false boldness, in SIU supporter posts. They know that they

>are in trouble with Rick Majerus at SLU. And they are,

>whether they are ready to admit it or not. Same goes for

>Missouri State. And, for that matter, the same goes for

>Mizzou. SLU is going to get the first shot at players that

>slipped by past SLU regimes. The great sleeping giant has

>been awakened from its slumber.

>

>Irrespective of current SIU players (Falker and Shaw) and

>their recruiting stories, just how many Missouri and

>Illinois students would really rather go to Southern

>Illinois University than Saint Louis University, assuming

>they really had the choice?

>

>When was the last time SIU actually won a game against SLU

>in St. Louis? And how many times before that did SIU win?

>The results in this series have largely been the product of

>the home venue. Carbondale is long notorious for being

>Homerdale.

>

>SIU won't get away with body slamming Kevin Lisch, with no

>foul being called, at a SLU home court patrolled by Coach

>Rick Majerus. Majerus would have that kind of rubbish

>plastered all over the STL media. It is doubtful that SIU

>will get away with that stuff against SLU any more in

>Carbondale, either.

"When was the last time SIU actually won a game against SLU in St. Louis? And how many times before that did SIU win? The results in this series have largely been the product of the home venue. Carbondale is long notorious for being Homerdale."

A more pertinent question might be: When was the last time SLU danced??

When was the last time SLU was ranked in the top 25?

When was the last time SLU won in Carbondale? (hint- it was prior to SIU winning in STL)

And last, but certainly not least, how many games has SLU won with Majerus?

Good luck with your 2 season coach (maybe), and your project from Southern Illinois.

SLU leads the all-time series 24-23, a fact seemingly ignored or forgotten by SIU supporters.

SIU's ability to mine the STL Area is about to end, if it hasn't ended already. SIU will rarely, if ever, be the #1 choice anywhere, period.

You can think whatever you want. The fact is that SLU has received tremendous national publicity, Coast to Coast, in the last month since the Majerus hire. SLU is on the national map now. Face it. There's a new sheriff in Dodge, or in this case St. Louis. And you better get used to it.

A Billiken fan stating someone is out of SIU's league. SLU is so big time. SLU was small time when I went there and is only slightly bigger now with the coaching hire. If he stays for 3-5 years they may reach big time but to think they are now is crazy.

We definitely will miss Tatum & Young, but have confidence in Green, Bone, Clemmons and Mullins. Returning the MVC defensive POY down low to go with Matt Shaw and the incoming IHSA Class A POY Carlton Fay will help. Nobody expected SIU to win 29 games this season and they did, I use to doubt SIU and Coach Lowery, but he has proven me wrong way to many times to do so anymore. In all seriousness about Thompson, he is a great pick up for SLU after all they have been through. IF Majerus can get him to work and build on his natural ability he will cause fits for many for 4 years. IF he can't then he will waste a scholarship for 4 years. SLU is in a great position with all the open rides and the new arena and high profile coach. Maybe just maybe SLU can't screw it up this time and they will start to become the program their alumni and fans are hoping for.

Would SIU have had 6 straight NCAA appearances playing in C-USA with the likes of Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, DePaul, Memphis, Charlotte, et al.? That is highly doubtful. The simple answer is no.

There is no question that SIU has been successful, but that success has come at the mid-major Missouri Valley level, where the competition was nowhere near the level of that faced by SLU during that same period.

Over its history, SLU has consistently played in much stronger conferences than has SIU. Examples include the Metro, Great Midwest, and C-USA. Valley apologists conveniently forget that there was a reason that SLU left the MVC in the 1970's, before SIU was even a member. The Valley had its day the last 2 years. We can expect that to end in the very near future, perhaps as early as the coming season. And even with the Valley supposedly being so great last season, only 2 MVC teams made the NCAA, the same number as from the A-10.

No one ever wins a two man pissing match. You just end up peeing all over each other. Obviously we Billiken fans are ecstatic to have Uncle Rick as our new coach. He's probably going to take us to heights we have never reached before. It is also understandable that we will trust his judgment on bigs better than the high school b-ball fans of southern Illinois. That being said, I always root for the Salukis unless they are playing the Billikens. How could you not respect the coach and players in Carbondale; they have done great things. The last time I checked, there were enough good recruits to stock both teams. We are all just hoping that when you come up to St. Louis next winter we'll start a long winning streak against you. So either have a real take on basketball or go back to your own board.

Mullins might be the best defensive pg in the nation. Wesley Clemmons has been the first guard off the bench each of the last 2 seasons and is ready to start. Young went through the same thing, being the 6th man and even won 6th man of the year. Bone or Green will start at the other guard. Falker and Shaw down low are very good. Boyle is a really good backup big man. He has been the first big off the bench the last 2 years and he will get help off the bench from Fay. They look pretty good. Mullins will be asked to score more and Clemmons will surprise. Justin Bocot could be a surprise starter over Green and Bone at the other guard spot. He is a pure scorer and could be the shot in the arm they need.

I'm just looking forward to SLU having a real homecourt advantage. Once we get into the new arena, things will get much tougher for teams like SIUC. Even next year at the Scottrade, though, I look forward to a hometown call every now and then with RM on the sidelines - were not many under Romar or Brad. Also, looks like the Post Dispatch and local media will tone down and/or put aside their love affair of the Valley and respect the local team (SLU) and RM. What a difference things will be: its like we only play neutral and away games with no home games!!

Justin Bocat is struggling to bench his weight for the next year, and will routinely be hammered until he adds weight. He is an agile guard, but does poorly in traffic, or against a Lisch style defender, because he cannot play physical.

SIU will struggle to put points on the board, and has lost defense at one guard position. It will be another year of superb effort and ugly, ugly games in Dogtown.

Many SIU fans who have spoken to people within the program feel the Thompson didn't fit what SIU is about on the defensive side of the ball.

Probably a reason why Thompson was offered so early, but SIU's interest dwindled when they had a better chance to watch his game.

Thompson is a good player, just not for SIU.

i just think it is hillarious that a significant number of siu fans feel the need to visit our board to tell us how beneath them slu is. why do they feel the need to alert us to such? how many slu fans are on their board even posting anything?

i agree siu has had a great run. let's hope is wasnt all about bruce webber because the webber players are now gone.

anytime you can say a top 100 player is not good enough for your team that is a bigtime statement! good for siu and their apparent rise to annual top 10 teams! i thought only duke and north carolina had that kind of juice.

I try to post a legit response on the subject and people are still trying to be tough. Nice.

To put it a little more clear, Thompson is soft and can't/won't play Defense. If you don't play defense at SIU, you won't play or you won't be on the team. Simple as that. Maybe SLU should try a mentality like that. Defense wins games.

I have no doubt that Majerus feels the same way, since he is a good coach. Hopefully he can get BT to change his ways.

>i just think it is hillarious that a significant number of

>siu fans feel the need to visit our board to tell us how

>beneath them slu is. why do they feel the need to alert us

>to such? how many slu fans are on their board even posting

>anything?

>

>i agree siu has had a great run. let's hope is wasnt all

>about bruce webber because the webber players are now gone.

I visit all the time because as I have stated before on this board, I grew up a Saluki season ticket holder. I however went to SLU for undergrad study, and like the SLU program. The only time I would ever root against SLU is when they play SIU and that is because old loyalties never die. I started rooting for SLU when I became a student, didn't like them before that however I loved college basketball.

I neve said anything about SLU being beneath SIU, I stated that it is silly to think that SLU is anything above SIU. Give Majerus a few years and he may build an incredible program, this is not guarenteed however. Talk to Drake about the success bringing in a big name coach does. Dr. Tom had wonderful success in making that an elite program didn't he. Talk to Texas Tech fans and ask them what bringing in Bobby Knight did for them. Sure they got a little more respect nationally and a couple of NCAA appearances but their expectations were higher than that.

I hope Majerus stays at SLU for a while and Lowery stays at SIU for a while and they keep playing each other. Hopefully both as top 25 teams. can't wait until November.