espn blog on Thompson verbal

Welcome Thompson family, it's great to have you as a part of the Billiken family!

I didn't see this posted yet, sorry if it's duplicative.

"Thompson commitment big step for Majerusby: Paul Biancardi

posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 | Print Entry

filed under: Saint Louis Billikens

6-foot-11, 255-pound center Brett Thompson (Vienna, Ill.) gave a verbal commitment to head coach Rick Majerus Tuesday, the first player for the Billikens in the Class of 2008. Thompson is a top-100 player who had offers from many high-major programs like Indiana, Purdue, Iowa State and Alabama.

"Brett and his family enjoyed their unofficial visit and getting to know coach Majerus," Vienna head coach Rick Metcalf said. "One of the main reasons he choose St. Louis is coach Majerus' ability to develop players for the NBA."

Tall with wide shoulders and a great frame, Thompson, who just turned 17-years-old, is just scratching the surface of becoming a major player. He dramatically changed his body type over the last year, hitting the weights hard and watching what he ate to maximize his potential.

Under Majerus' tutelage, Thompson will flourish over time. Without any real size in the frontcourt in its program, his decision will begin to change the landscape for the future of St. Louis basketball."

>>Without any real size in the frontcourt in its program<<

This is the 2nd time I have seen such a comment in an ESPN article or blog entry. Didn't these guys bother to puruse the SLU roster? Bryce Husak, 7-0, 260. Granted, we need more size but I find it funny to hear how small our team is expected to be next season. Conceivably, the starting frontcourt (5 through 3) could be Husak (7'), Eberhardt (6'6"), and Relphorde (6'7"). Even exchanging Luke Meyer for Relphorde at the 3, our team should be bigger this year than last. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I expect Majerus to coach up Bryce and for him to play 20+ minutes per game.

>Realize that Sean Bradley was a 7'6 guy who got dunked on

>routinely. Being tall doesn't mean anything if you can't

>play (see Bryce Husak).

Did you see the UMass game in the A-10 tourney? 10 pts, 6 boards, 1 blk, 1 steal, 0 TOs, 21 minutes.

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...007/game32.html

Or the game @ St. Joe's? 6 points, 6 boards, 1 blk, 20 minutes.

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...007/game22.html

I'm expect this Bryce Husak to show up every night under Majerus. Not an unreasonable stretch IMHO. Bryce has shown flashes.

But even sub-average college basketball players can be consistent. Regardless of playing time, Bryce hasn't shown any consistency through his half-decade here. It boils down to practice and showing up everyday.

----------------

A reporter once asked Bryce Husak if he has enjoyed his tenure at Saint Louis and Bryce said, "Um, I've only been here four years."