Brett Thompson info

Roy's point about AT I would agree with. AT was the familar face and the constant connection to SLU for RM with Thompson. Now once the initial intro is made it is now up to RM and Moser. I would however not agree that Brad had much to do with this situation at this point. Brad had made some early inroads but the most recent info coming out of Thompson's camp was that SLU had dropped off the radar with him and that has to be laid at the feet of Brad.

The word I heard is this: what Thompson liked about SLU was the fact that Kramer was going to play for his dad. Kramer and Thompson got to be friends while they both played for the Eagles in the summer of '06. When BS got let go, his interest in SLU fell off untill RM and PM got hired. PM has been recuiting Thompson since the 8th grade.

did we drop off the radar or did the fact that when the big boys came calling the recruiting rags ignored us as little ole slu couldnt possibly compete for a player that the big boys wanted.

If we dropped off the radar when Brad was fired but re-emerged when Majerus was hired, then we were off the radar for something like ten days. For comparison, this kid's recruitment has probably lasted over 100 weeks.

Even before Brad was let go, Thompson had started to drop us. There were posts on this board that confirmed this. All I know is that for all the kids that supposedly wanted to come here because Kramer was coming and they had become friends with him - we would have been in the catbird seat but the truth is their friendship with Kramer was very low on the totem pole since all were loosing interest in SLU. Don't know what happened with Brad and his place with these kids but the fact that RM is at least being given a chance with some tells me that they liked the idea somewhat of playing at home but something soured them - was it Brad maybe but who knows.

if you are correct, then it indeed would be interesting to know why. i dont think it was because our past coaching staff quit recruiting. i would venture to say (and admittedly this is just a guess) that someone of influence had their ears though.

Believe Cheese's point, as with others, was that even with Brad as the coach, with Kramer going to play for his Dad at SLU, etc., that Thompson and others started to lose interest in SLU, began to fall off the radar screen... BEFORE Brad was fired. No doubt, opinions changed the day Brad was fired and possibly again the day RM was hired.

Have always thought, and still do, that most local kids want to play locally, and since SLU is the only local school, most down deep want to play for SLU (a great school) in front of their friends and family. No one really wants to live in Carbondale, Columbia or Springfield. SLU has always been the safe school for most of these guys. If other schools like Duke (Carawell), Georgetown (J. White), Indiana (Stemler) make offers, then the kid must choose between staying at home (SLU) and going away (BCS school). SLU being kids' "safe choice" existed well before Brad. If Brad were still our HC, truly believe we would continue to be the "safe" choice for all of the 2008 class. Because of the lack of recent success, decrease in conference/competition, lack of TV/radio exposure and general lack of interest and excitment, believe the choice became easier for local recruits to pick someone other than SLU which didn't look and feel like big-time basketball anymore. For that matter, kids started to going to SIUC and Mizzou (McKinney, Grimes) to still be "local" but play for a "big-time" program. Therefore, Brad and AT may have laid the ground work for the 2008 class, but without Fr. Biondi's recent commitment to basketball, this Fall's signing period (IMO) would not have been much fun for this Board. Aside from TL and KL, SLU became kids' second, or even third, choice.

Now, with Fr. Biondi's commitments (first with facilities and then with RM and the entire BB program), the table is set for RM. Was a supporter of Brad's but cannot give him much credit at all for the 2008 class. SLU just being SLU makes us their "safe" choice. Hopefully, RM will make SLU their final choice.

you dont go from slu being the leader to no interest. that makes no sense.

think back to stemmler wanting to come to slu but his swic coaches telling him he was too big time to go to slu. that scenario makes more sense imo.

only now a coach/advisor cant say that with majerus here. there is no denying that majerus being at slu has taken that argument away.

"you dont go from slu being the leader to no interest. that makes no sense."

Who said he went from leader to no interest? i was responding to your post which responded to a post about Thompson losing interest before Brad left. The post did not say that Thompson had zero interest.

>Even before Brad was let go, Thompson had started to drop

>us. There were posts on this board that confirmed this.

>All I know is that for all the kids that supposedly wanted

>to come here because Kramer was coming and they had become

>friends with him - we would have been in the catbird seat

>but the truth is their friendship with Kramer was very low

>on the totem pole since all were loosing interest in SLU.

>Don't know what happened with Brad and his place with these

>kids but the fact that RM is at least being given a chance

>with some tells me that they liked the idea somewhat of

>playing at home but something soured them - was it Brad

>maybe but who knows.

That's exactly what my point #3 pertained to in an earlier post. There were early indications that things weren't going that great with `08 and the dream of a Brad 5 didn't look like it was coming together.