Mission accomplished?

Is St. Louis U. a top 50 program today?

I think you can make a case that it is.

If you take last year's team and swap the head coaches, Majerus for Soderberg, how many more games do the Billikens win, where do they finish in the A-10 and do they make the tournament?

I think you could add on a couple wins, a few spots closer to the top of the league and, under those conditions, pencil SLU in to the field of 65 for the NCAA tournament.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Billikens receive votes in the preseason rankings, just based on the coaching change.

Rick Majerus brings that kind of instant credibility.

How many people here have already ordered season tickets or plan to renew based on this coaching change? I know of at least one reader here who was thinking about not renewing his season tickets for the first time in many years, who instead couldn't be more excited to renew.

That's the kind of excitement this move has generated.

Now, the last piece in the puzzle will be to see how this change is received by recruits.

I don't know what SLU's odds are for getting kids like Suggs, Brandenburg or Griffey, but I'm sure that the excitement generated by this in the community will give the Billikens a chance with other kids who were probably not considering the school.

I got ripped on here before for saying that one thing high school recruits want is the chance to play in the NCAA tournament. Under Soderberg, that was possible but not liking. Under Majerus, that is not only possible but expected.

I'm hoping to talk to some recruits soon and see how they feel.

I might post that info here, but I might want to hear what Frank C. says on his radio show so I can get the real scoop.

- Nate

Nate - Another kid to talk about is Brett Thompson (class of 2008). At one point the 6'-11" Illinois all-stater had SLU as his #1 choice. He could be a bigger catch than Bradenburg or Griffey.

I hope Thorpe gets Rick to pay him some visits ASAP and get him re-committed to SLU.

BTW - I also am a season ticket holder and was on the verge of not committing to purchasing them next year based on the way Soderberg's dismal was handled and SLU's refusal to release any details. Totally classless on SLU's part.

You're right. Thompson could be a big pick-up.

I don't know if he'd be bigger than Brandenburg or Griffey, who are true local guys, but if he has a good summer Thompson will have the same kind of attention.

I don't put much stock in the story on Thompson from a couple months ago, because from everything I've heard the kid did not have an offer from LSU like he claimed. I heard he really likes LSU, so if they did offer I'm guessing he would've jumped at it.

The key to recruiting this junior class will be to get a group who wants to play together — not just a Thompson or Suggs or Brandenburg, but getting a couple of them who want to be the future of SLU basketball.

The junior class is good enough that you could turn around the program with that group.

- Nate

Thompson is definitely bigger than Brandenburg. Probably the next Steve Novak. 6'11 sharpshooter. He'll be a top 50 player by the end of the summer. Since Majerus would be his coach, he should use Keith Van Horn as a sales pitch, a guy with similar size and shooting ability. #2 pick in the draft.

I bet Mitchell and Relephorde are elated about this. I would think it is like showing up for a blind date and the girl is hot with loose morals. The current team members have to be pumped as well. Chartered flights would be enough to get me pumped up when I was in College.

SLU in one stroke has made itself significant on a national level in basketball. We now have one of the most recognizable coaches, building one of the best facilities and spending the money needed to win. I hate the hype that some teams get by virtue of their name, coach or conference but you got to have that hype it is the name of the game. Now it is time for SLU to get some hype!

I find it strange that when I visit both the Mizzou and Illini boards, neither of them seem to think that Majerus will have much effect on their recruiting. I think they're wrong. We'll find out soon enough with the quality of the '08 class in the StL area.

I don't know about Mizzou; but I do know from living at Uof I that

Ivory Towers is the epitomy of Big Ten life; they have no thought of any schools outside the Big Ten; I hoe they play us home and home in the future-

mizzou, too for that matter

one of the things i am looking forward to is watching nate's tone when majerus doesnt show up for the troy vs fort zumwalt games.

hardball, i have been saying since coach soderberg was fired a majerus hiring was the exception. he was a celebrity coach that would immediately take the program to the next level immediately.

sorry you dont read regularly anymore.

Roy,

How come you never responded to the thread in which someone wrote that Frank C. mentioned Brad wasn't getting out and recruiting as much as he should have been?

Do you come here bashing Frank for saying the same thing I've been saying for a while?

I don't know how much I'll see Majerus on the recruiting trail. I can imagine, however, that when he goes to game he'll be visible and recognizable and won't hide in the bleachers and try to blend in with everybody else.

- Nate

Roy I really wasn't expecting you to admit you had a any clue what you were talking about. I read everyday and long enough to know you continue to take unwarranted swipes at Nate. I just got tired of the head in the sand mentality from some of the non-believers suggesting SLU couldn't do any better. You were pretty clear in your position that SLU couldn't do any better.

Now just sit back and enjoy the ride there is a lot of room on this Bandwagon!

hardball, you dont honestly believe that any other coach but a majerus could have gotten the program concessions that majerus got do you?

that is why this isnt "starting over" and i am big time enthused about this. had this been an asst coach or a low major head coach, that would be soderberg II.

i guess i could ask you why you didnt answer my question this morning if you are going to bash majerus when he doesnt show up at the troy vs fort zumwalt games next winter?

nate, i never saw the post you are talking about. but if frank is as clueless as you are about the limited number of recruiting views a coach staff can make, so be it.

I can echo roy's sentiments about "starting over" if the hiring had been a Brian Gregory/Tom Crean/Jimmy Patsos type ... the lead recruiter/first assistant on the bench at a BCS school. A Quin Snyder/Mike Brey/Cuonzo Martin type. I guess Cunonzo was plan B according to some. Now some of these guys (notably Crean with Dwayne Wade) have made some progress on the HC level (let's see the next time Marquette gets to a Final Four though) but for the most part they have not. I am hearing there are rumblings in dayton about canning Gregory if this coming year is a bust. Patsos is doing okay at Loyola in Baltimore but he got a couple of transfers from Maryland when he left Williams and went to the Greyhounds. Fofana was average at Maryland; in the MEAC he's a stud. Same with Andre Collins. We all know Snyder's flop. I would say Brey is in the categoy of beauty in the eye of the beholder at Nore Dame. And who knows what Martin would be .... but SLU has been a graveyard for coaches, not a stepping stone.

I also don't think plan C would have worked if plan C were Lavin, Frascilla or Digger a few years back. To me, the hire had to be in the stars as Majerus is or it is still a setback. I was as stunned as the next guy when Brad was let go as late and as unceremoniously and as silently as he was. I was certian the school brass would blow it. Instead, the Majerus hiring blows me away. Frankly I did not think it possible but it happened and its about the only thing that could have happened to make me feel much more above the horizon on this instead of at the horizon or below it.

What I also like about the hiring is that I don't particularly see Rick as a one- or two-and-done guy. Cuonzo Maritn gets hired, catches fire, busts SLU's history and tradition, and he's out of here. Right now, even though Majerus seems to have a historylately of flirting with other programs, I don't get the sense that he's flying off to a bigger payday right now. That may change in time but not right now. i think he needs to reestablish some rep and win some here before others come knocking.

What will interest me down the line is how Rick does with today's recruit. He's been out for what, five years now? You have to admit that at Utah, he had an in with the fact that the Mormon kids out there had maybe two options for college ball --- Utah and BYU. Utah had the better record and rep at the time so a Britton Johnson or Shawn Bradley might have been limited in faith-tied options. How does his noted ability to alienate some play into today's world where kids and their "entourages" have to be wooed into the fold? Does Rick play that game? Again only time will tell.

When folks that were advocating firing Brad were in full fury, I don't recall anyone mentioning Rick Majerus as a possible candidate. Most were talking about some up-and-comer from a Winthrop or an Albany or a Belmont or a Wright State or a BCS top recruiter coming in and making the next step with both his career and us. That would ahve been starting over if you ask me and I think that's where roy was coming from.