Gillen status?

I know you are all really hoping for majerus, but what is your status with Gillen? As a UVa fan, I know the benefits and drawbacks of Gillen, but overall he'd be very successful at a mid-major like SLU. Gillen is not great for player development, his teams don't play defense, and he burns a million timeouts (this gets very frustrating). However, the guy is a great person, very funny with witty one-liners, and he can recruit (especially in the A10, the ACC got a little overwhelming for him towards the end). He's had great success at Xavier and Providence, and was very well-liked at UVa (some fans called the dawning of 2000 beginning of the "Gillenium"), yet he failed to develop some of the talent he had in front of him, and eventually lost the fans and his team. I'm just wondering what his status is with SLU. However, Majerus would be great for you guys and you should first pursue him. He would bring increased credibility and talent to your program.

sorry if you take offense, but the A10 is usually considered mid-major, although some years it doesn't act like one. I have a lot of respect for A10 basketball. Two years ago UVa lost to Fordham at home (although we didn't have our best player, and only had 7 scholarship players), still I don't underestimate A10 schools. So what is Gillen's status?

Over the last two days, the focus has been almost entirely on Majerus. On Tuesday, when Soderberg was fired, there was a lot of talk on local radio about Gillen being a logical choice. Apparently, SLU athletic director Cheryl Levick met with Gillen during the season, seemingly to pick his brain about the basketball situation at SLU. If this Majerus thing doesn't work out, then Gillen could be a possibility.

I think that is the perception that people outside of SLU are going to have being in the A10 or the MVC for that matter. I don’t remember us being called that much when we were in CUSA with Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, DePaul, Charlotte, and Memphis.

SLU was previously in conferences with heavyweight competition for a long time. SLU was stuck with few choices at the time.(much the fault of SLU's own) Coming here without doing much homework on that, and throwing around mid-major lossely, without more elaboration, won't win you many friends here. Just a tip.

The one place that actually officially tries to define the term

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

says we're not: "The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Continent, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Sun Belt, West Coast."

Wikipedia says we probably are, but the A-10 wasn't before we joined it. (The Wikipedia definition is actually pretty interesting, and I'd even say pretty accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major )