No Institutional Class

BradFan

Whether you agree with the decision or not, the thing that can't be overlooked is the absolutely class-less way SLU has treated their highest profile employee.

Brad did nothing but bleed blue for the last six years – did everything he could to make things work - generated a winning record AND a high graduation rate - saw his program shifted out of a power conference into a second tier conference in mid-stream - and still had things moving in a positive direction. Nobody could feel the pain of missing the dance over the past five years more than him.

He didn't deserve to be fired, in my opinion. But even more important at this point, he deserved a more graceful exit than what he was given. This is a fine human being, and some consideration should have been given to treating him in a respectful way if this is the decision being made. Even when Wisconsin let him go after his interim season, they held a press conference with him, then proceeded with the search. The AD explained his justification, Brad was given an opportunity to state his side.

Brad never got his fair chance to sign off from SLU, and that's no way to treat people who have given the best of thier life and 110% of their time over the past six years for benefit of your institution. Regardless of all other opinions, I just want this board to remember that.

okedokee... errr, i'll remember that... but no matter how great of a person he is, the bottomline is a winning record will not get it done anymore.... and trust me on this, there were more successful coaches than soderberg who got the axe this year,.. and by the way, every DI or even collegiate coach "does everything they can to make it work"... and also, what "positive direction" are you talking about???? i had no idea no postseason tournaments for the past 2 years, and lousy recruiting constituted our program being headed in a "positive direction".... if you want to see true injustice in college basketball, just take a look at stan heath's firing from arkansas, or tubby smith being run out of kentucky....

there were more successful coaches than soderberg who got the axe this year . . .

SO THAT MAKES EVERYTHING OK? AND YOU MENTION HEATH AND SMITH -- BOTH GREAT EXAMPLES OF HOW NOT TO TREAT PEOPLE. IT'S OK TO TREAT PEOPLE LIKE THIS, BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT

every DI or even collegiate coach "does everything they can to make it work"

ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE "EVERYBODY DOES IT" -- I'm not sure this one is true

And what are we hearing now? Rick Majerus is coming to SLU and if that happens, then everything that happened is justified.

WRONG!!! It would be a good hire, but that doesn't negate the classless way that this was handled.

Things like this happen everyday in big business (I've heard this one too). Another justification; it has to be right since all these others are doing it.

The ends justify the means?

"I don't care for the way it was handled, but if we hire a big name, then I'm all for it!"

I feel bad for you if you can sugar coat it this way -- this is not a gray area. It is not the middle ground between right and wrong.

I know, somebody will tell me to go stand up for this injustice; meanwhile SLU is getting a better coach.

My condolences

i was saying that heath's firing and smith being run out of kentucky was very unjust in comparison to soderberg... in reality, most schools would have fired brad 1 or 2 seasons ago. so, all in all, i was stating that because brad is a good guy and he tried real hard, it does not merit him keeping his job when he is in a position judged by results. this is a business, much as you probably hate to admit it.

The original poster's thread had nothing to do about whether Brad should have been fired or not. Or when he should have been fired. Not the point at all.

The point was the classless way it was handled. And to that I say, right on the money. It was and continues to be an embarassment. Big time college athletics are cut-throat, no doubt. But this is not the way to do it. Certainly not from our Jesuit-run University.

Small time.