From the A-10 Board

moytoy12

I'm just the messenger here, but WH is a well-respected poster on the A-10 board so i thought i would paste it here. Obviously, the bolded part is what caught my eye.

WH posted:

"Interesting development. Wonder why it took so long after the season for St. Louis to act. At the very least, he should have been canned before the team banquet a few days ago. Soderberg and his whole family attended.

Some speculate about whether he broke some sort of rule in light of a curious school statement on the firing.

In any case, I can't say I blame the admin. Soderberg can coach, all right, but he's easily the worst recruiter in the A-10. You've got Travis Ford signing up NINE kids for SIX scholies, and Soderberg can't get ANYBODY to sign in the early-signing period.

I am eager to hear the list of candidates." (emphasis added)

He was at the AAU practice with the entire staff and Anthony Mitchell on Saturday. The whole Lisch family was at the rec playing ball as well, and he was chumming it up with Ms. Lisch. He also was talking to AAU players. Not sure if that is a problem.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read TDell's post this morning. The fact that they pulled the kids out of class and did it so precipitiously--why the need for all of that? Something is fishy! Also, the press release had a comment about following the NCAA rules that seemed odd to me. Who knows? It is really unfair to Brad to speculate but it did make me think about it.

The more I think about this the more I am starting to wonder. They have changed the post already on the web site. So it looks like this was done quickly. I had a friend tell me about the fact they have raised money that could cover the buyout, but that friend is shocked by what happened today. I mean shocked.

The part about part about AT taking over on interim basis was not in the original post. Also I wis I would have copied the original post because it does not read the same. Maybe I am just reading to much into it because I am shocked. I would have a hard time believing Brad actually broke any rules.

Maybe one of the assistants broke a rule? Brad would ultimately be responsible, correct? I'm sure the assistants are feeling as much pressure as Brad when it comes to recruiting. That is just specualtion and adding to this thread. I don't see Brad breaking any rules so if a rule was broken I would think it would come from an assistant as opposed to him and I really don't see any assistants breaking any rules under Brad's guidance or on their own.

I also still think it is odd that Kramer is not playing with the Eagles this summer. I still am not sold on why he is not playing.

even if he did (and i'm certainly not saying he did), i would have an even harder time thinking he did it intentionally.

I've got to say that the chance that Sodie broke a rule is about the same as us landing Roy Williams. But i thought the suggestion was thought provoking to say the least.

Kramer is a driven young man -- he didn't become physically stronger, and an excellent shooter by playing with the Eagles. He enjoyed playing with those players, but didn't feel he was able to develop his game during the offseason, with all the traveling they do in AAU ball. AAU ball isn't about getting better; it's about showcasing your ability and letting people see what you can do. It takes a very strong individual to walk away from that; a hard worker, a dedicated player. He's knows what is important.

If you need an example, see Kevin Lisch

I'm certainly not trying to fan any flames. The thought that Soderberg would cheat would never occur to me, but I and others found the following sentence in the school statement rather curious:

"The new head coach also must be committed to the University's history of following NCAA regulations and graduating its student-athletes."

Of course, the school also talks about Soderberg's integrity in its statement, but why mention anything about following NCAA rules? It's to be expected that any new coach hired will follow the rules.

I suspect someone got a little excited when writing the statement, but who knows. It would have been better to leave that sentence out.

I noticed that too, but I guess I wouldn't read too much into it. I read it more as a statement that the successful candidate for the open head coaching position will be committed to winning but also to running a clean program that also emphasizes academics.

WH, welcome to SLU sports PR department. If you havent already noticed, the people who work there seem to be missing a few brain cells. You may be looking into this a little too much. But in todays collegiate athlectics, who knows?

I think the sentence is fine. It is probably just to quell all the talk about the guys out there who don't do it right. As of late, it is obvious some schools don't care.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.