Earl Austin and the STL American Fab Five Boys

VTIME

I'm completely against it .... if there was an all white paper that served only the white community .... what if in Hillsboro they had a black kid who was the best player in the area and they left him off the all star team as he was black and the locals who read the paper don't want to hear about the black player ... is that ok?

Imo it's not ok for the black community to exclude the white players and it is not ok for the white community to exclude the black community. I think it's a sorry state that here in the USA we still have to have this debate. It's a sorry state on both sides of the fence, when there should be no fence at all.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

First of all any kid born of a white and black parent by federal law is identified as black to answer that question. Second, the American is a proud paper that has been around for many years and I have no problem with them listing their all star team and only listing blacks. I agree this is really much to do about nothing. Vee's posting of this only shows how little some whites know about the black community in St. Louis that is what bothers me.

I sent Earl an email last year when they announced this team, just asking why there were no white players on the team and why is that? I asked him why doesnt he just call it the STL American Fab Five Black Boys Team, I got no response. Im not racist, but if this were the other way around it would be considered racist.

Yes, but it doesnt include players that are non christian. There are small publications that are setup to include certain minority groups, be they racial, gay, religious, mormon etc. The large publication, the Post serves the entire community, so it cant be exclusive. I dont have a problem with their being small diverse publications to serve specific groups.

Nah, it wouldnt. There are plenty of small papers in St. Louis. A lot of them dont cover the black, italian, asian, mexican, or other minorities. No one is calling for their heads. The Post is expected to take care of everyone because they reach a very big audience and are the official paper of the city. I wouldn't expect the West County Journal to put Leon Powell on its all Area list.