Blake Ahearn

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

I was walking the track, cooling down from my noon workout at the Clayton Center when I spied a guy doing shooting drills. He hit about 100 in a row...no layups, no misses...although sometimes the track curve would hide him. We used to let Blake in the adult noontime games at the Midcounty Y. He was 14-15 then and the only kid we let into the game. I often guarded him and knew even then not to leave him open. Anyway, he remembered me and we had a nice chat. He said SLU had always been his dream, but he was now content with his MS career. He's going to two NBA camps in April, and the camps will also include a number of european programs. He just wants to keep playing as long as he can. I personally think his game might fit well with the european style - which values good outside shooting. We'll never know what he would have accomplished at SLU, but I personally wish he could have realized his dream and played for us.

slu72 was being at his sarcastic best with his comments. Of course Blake would have been a good addition to SLU...our shooting behind the arc has not been up to par and Blake would have been a huge help in that regard.

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

He's a class kid whose dream was to play for SLU. From past posts, there is some interest in him on this board, and I was passing it along for those who were interested. I put his name right in the topic so those who didn't care need not read it.

When I was younger and went to the Mid County Y, I remember Blake doing shooting drills with a clipboard on the sideline, keeping track of how many he was shooting. Whenever he paused too long or talked to anyone, his dad (who constantly checked in) would come in and scream, "Blake! You're not shooting!" I remember feeling sorry for him having so much pressure from an overbearing parent, not to mention just the embarassment of being yelled at in a public gym.

He also went to 8th grade twice (his dad's idea) to get bigger, which is why he went to DeSmet instead of Chaminade, where he was originally admitted. He wasn't very well liked by his peers at DeSmet, and the senior class more or less boycotted going to games down the stretch of his senior season.

I guess the point is that he's always made out to be this story of a kid who worked hard and achieved so much, when there's really a darkside to it. No matter how well he does in his career, a large part of his formative years were stolen from him as he logged hundreds of shots a day by himself in a gym under pressure. Sure, he seems like a decent guy who would have been a nice player at a number of programs, including SLU, but I feel bad for him sometimes. He would have been a hard enough worker on his own and succeeded, I just hate to see kids that have to grow up with parents like his dad.

I would guess you would have to know a bit more about Blake to make the conclusion that his Dad was overbearing. Maybe he wouldn't have worked so hard. As it stands he should be if he hasn't already, gotten a college degree and will play basketball for some nice change for a living. You would probably have to ask Blake if it was worth it or not.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.