Trouble for DeSmet (OT)

kevinfootes

Are you saying people who go to "exclusive" schools normally would not steal? Does that imply that people who go to non-exclusive schools are expected to steal? If exclusive means expensive per the other posts in this thread, are you then saying then that only poor people steal?

I really don't get your comment, unless you were just taking a shot at DeSmet.

By the way, are you familiar with how many students at DeSmet receive financial aid to attend the school? It is quite significant and is done specifically to NOT make the school an exclusive enclave for wealthy students. And, many students who attend DeSmet have families, along with the students, who make material financial sacrifices to go there even without any financial aid.

I truly am just trying to understand what it is you are getting at.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

I DEMAND the moderator be banned for this unprovoked and very un-Jesuit-like attack.

I still live by the motto of the esteemed Father Francis Xavier Ryan, S.J.: Bash a blue buddy for Jesus!!!:o

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Well, in that case, you need to become familiar with the acceptance process at the local private Catholic schools. The number of applications in any given year at DeSmet vs. SLUH vs. Vianney vs. CBC changes as does the acceptance rate, obviously (CBC had a surge in applications and a drop in the acceptance rate after their expansion as did DeSmet after their expansion). Overall, the academic standards between SLUH and DeSmet are very similar as are the output results with SLUH maintaining a modest edge. Generally, CBC and Vianney have different academic tracks than the two Jesuit schools. So, I guess if DeSmet is not that exclusive then neither is SLUH and certainly not CBC or Vianney. I am not as familiar with Chaminade (unlike the others, it begins in 6th grade with 100 per class) so I will not comment definitively, but I know that administrators from the above schools have expressed to me that Chaminade is on a similar level to SLUH and DeSmet, although a much smaller school for 9-12.

For reasons that are not as entirely obvious as they seem, DeSmet has had the reputation of a jock school while SLUH was supposedly for the smart kids. Not exactly accurate as both schools have strong athletic programs and academic programs. It is kind of like the rumors of DeSmet going co-ed. Those rumors started in the early 80s and persist still today. Of course, the school is full even after the HUGE expansion just completed, but I guess the people starting the rumors expect the girls to take classes outside on the athletic fields.;-)

Now, all that having been said, back to your original point. I guess what you meant, given that you did not see DeSmet as that challenging academically, is that less intelligent people steal. Hmmmmm.... Just what does that say in societal terms? Since there is a definitive and well-documented correlation between socio-economic status and academic performance one could easily conclude that you are making other assumptions, however tangential, as well (e.g. poor people steal). I am surprised that you are not hearing from several others who have had problems with these types of comments or assertions in the past.

Personally, I think that the theft at DeSmet was the result of some kid making a very poor decision regardless of his intelligence, family income, ethnicity, height, shoe size, school affiliation, hair color, etc. (Truth be told, it was probably some Junior Bill sneaking in and doing the dirty work...;-))

You are correct in that DeSmet greatly increased their numbers by accepting almost anybody who applied.

My original post had nothing to do with the intelligence level of the thieves ... simply spreading the news and having a laugh regarding DeSmet being referred to as "exclusive". You made quite a leap based on my 2-3 word post ... "poor people steal"??????

Shall I start using dime store sociology to analyze your posts?

First of all, DeSmet has not greatly increased their numbers of accepted students or the acceptance rate, however they have increased the number of applicants. Second, saying that they accept almost anybody who applied is an outright lie. Why would you make that up? Seriously? Why come on this board, post something to take joy in the misfortune of others, and then follow that up with a lie? Why would any decent, caring, normal person go to such lengths to try and hurt others? I just do not understand it.

And explain what you meant by questioning the exclusivity of DeSmet, in whatever context, in the same post where you link to a story about a crime. Clearly, you were trying to make a point.

This is precisely what is wrong with this board. A bunch of people who use the board to carry out very thinly veiled agendas. And the minute they are questioned, they retort with accusations of people being thinned skinned or freedom of speech or the old boy network or some such crap. Why do people on this board feel the need to do this?

Other than this thread making you some how feel better by denigrating someone else, just tell me what this accomplished? Do you feel a personal responsibility to "put DeSmet in its place"? Did DeSmet do something bad to you? I truly am trying to understand this type of behavior. It just seems so mean-spirited, immature, and petty.

Geez, I poke a little fun at DeSmet's "exclusivity" and you get your shorts in a knot. Others have done the same in this thread and said much worse things. Why don't you go after them?

If I were realy trying get your goat, I would ask you something like what kind of incredible losers would rob from the mission collection?

What sort of "men for others" message are they teaching at DeSmet?

Why would any decent, normal, caring person rob from a mission collection?

etc.

Should I continue?

A) I have no goat. Two dogs, no goat.

:o One of the others who said things is teasing me because we are friends. I already give him plenty of grief - Junior Bills need that.

C) Normally, you are a pretty good guy and reasonable. Additionally, 90% of your posts are interesting and add value to the board (even if I don't agree with them), probably more so than mine. I cannot say the same for others who are, in my humble estimation, beyond hope and just on here to piss people off, so I do not waste my time with them. Hence, when you start a thread on something like this, it bothers me a lot more.

D) I just wish the board would go back to an environment where the disagreements and the posts were about Billiken basketball and not about personal attacks and agendas. I really do, because a lot of guys have left the board or post much less frequently now and many of them really knew the program whereas many of the newer posters clearly do not; they just want to verbally piss on people for their own deviant entertainment. That sucks.

E) If the tables were turned and certain other posters had said something like the subject post, the self-appointed PC police would have been all over the poster with accusations. It has happened a billion times in the past. The double standard is really, really annoying.

F) My name is not Francis...it's Sgt. Hulka and if any of you guys call me Francis, I'll kill you. ;-)