Rodney Alexander info

ibruce1

Hoops Recruiting: OU in the mix for top juco

By James Hale

Posted Jan 26, 2007

Rodney Alexander talks about his game, top five and interest in Oklahoma.

Rodney Alexander, F, 6’7, REDLANDS JUNIOR COLLEGE, OKLAHOMA:

JH: Where are you originally from?

RA: “I am from Benton Harbor, Mich. I went to Benton Harbor High School.â€

JH: What was your average your senior year?

RA: “I averaged 14 points per game.â€

JH: What did you average last year at Redlands?

RA: “I averaged 10 a game.â€

JH: What are you averaging this year?

RA: “I am averaging 15 ppg.†(15.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2 assists and 1.9 steals through their first 10 games. He was shooting 59 percent from the field, 37.7 from 3 point range (9-24) and 73 percent from the free throw line. NBADraft.net ranks him as the No. 1 Juco small forward in the country.)

JH: How did you wind up at Redlands?

RA: “I went because of Coach (Steve) Eck, and because they always have a winning record. I have read a lot about Redlands.â€

JH: Tell us about your game?

RA: “I think I am a very versatile player and can do a lot of things on the floor. I couldn’t shoot in high school, so I came and I learned how to shoot here in junior college. Last year, I worked on my game and worked on my shot a lot. Now I have a type of game where I can do different things. I can face up with the guy guarding me and shoot it or I can post him up. I can also step out and shoot the 3, so whoever is guarding me has to stay with me all the time or I can take advantage of him.â€

JH: You are small forward so do you work inside-out and post up a lot?

RA: “Yeah, I post up quite a bit. But it really depends on who is trying to hold me.â€

JH: How much do you try to shoot the 3?

RA: “I shoot it when I have the chance.â€

JH: Are you more of an inside or outside player?

RA: “I really think that I am both. My post offense is my bread and butter. But I have improved my shooting facing the basket and now I can do both equally well.â€

JH: How much do you weigh?

RA: “I weigh 227.†JH: You recently attended an OU game unofficially. What other schools are you considering at this time.

RA: “I have considering Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Oklahoma, St. Louis and UNLV. I have been offered by those schools as well.â€

JH: Who offered you out of high school?

RA: “Ball State and the University of Detroit.â€

JH: How many schools have you visited unofficially so far? RA: “I have been to two. I have been to Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.â€

JH: What are your thoughts on Oklahoma right now?

RA: “They need some more height. They have some good players, but they need some more height.â€

JH: So do you think you could fit in at Oklahoma with your size?

RA: “Yes, I could.â€

JH: Do you have a legitimate interest in OU?

RA: “I like them and I like the coach. Coach Capel is real cool and the assistant coach (Mark Cline) is real cool too.â€

JH: Do you have a favorite right now?

RA: “No, I am pretty wide open right now.â€

JH: Have you taken any official visits so far?

RA: “I have taken one to St. Louis and Butler.â€

JH: When do you plan on taking more official visits?

RA: “I will take the rest after the season. I am not sure where I am going yet. I think I am going to Oklahoma, but I am not sure yet.â€

JH: What are the main factors that you are looking for in a school?

RA: “I want to be able to help the team. I also want to see if I can play at the school right away, and I have to like the coach. I have to go to a school where I can play for the coach. I have to make sure that I am a good match for the team. I want the coach to have seen me play and I want to get to know the coaches well and the team. I want to make sure that I can fit in with the team and that I can play right away.â€

This is where our staff needs to tell this kid that if he wants to be a role player on a middle of the road big12 team have fun and call Lance, but if he wants a chance to play and play right away with starter minutes like he said he wanted to about 10 times in that interview welcome to STL.

This is a perfect example of when an assisstant like A. Bonner could close the deal on a small forward. He could claim he knows how to get to the next level and promise to show him the way.

Also if he came SLU we could be the next years Butler and he could be the oneto put us over the top.

This kid visited in the fall - we are very long in his memory when the spring comes. The fact he took unofficial visits to OSU and OU tells me he has lots of interest to go there. Finally, Lance Stemler is getting good minutes at IU this year so don't use that arguement. He might not next year but he may get even more still.

Going to be damned hard to beat out the Okie schools, especially if they're dancing, a good chance, and we're stuck at home. Supposedly when we were real close to signing him last fall and then he backed out, I started to get sweaty palms. Sounds like a guy we could really use, ala Stemmler, but alas we're looking like a bridesmaid again. UB better start pulling some rabbits out of his hat.

Sampson as long as LS keeps playing away from the ball as well as he

does he won't be losing his starting spot even if he hits a dry spot; I listened to IU win on radio crossing Indiana yesterday; LS drained two early threes and IU started second half increasing their lead to 15 with first 5 minutes of second half. White came off the bench for 6 quick points and coach said he would continue to count on white as a role player So IU coach has a very solid opinion of Stemler so far